Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2014 3:10:46 AM EDT
Saw that on this Toshiba laptop: Toshiba Satellite L50D-BBT2N22

It comes with 2 dimms but it tells me that the factory can only install new ram. I find that hard to believe.

What could that mean? Is the RAM soldered to the mobo?

Link Posted: 7/18/2014 3:54:04 AM EDT
[#1]
i have ran into a few with  soldered ram , not often but its out there . Some make it so hard to swap out you literally have to disassemble the whole thing to get to it . Most make it easy though ,  under the KB or removable panel.  the newer tablets like are soldered ram .

toshibas sucks , go ASUS or HP .
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 4:06:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 4:32:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Just ordered with 16GM no need to worry about it.

I love my Toshiba Satilite it has survived a deployment and hasn't failed me yet!
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 8:10:35 AM EDT
[#4]
It's either soldered or there isn't an access door so you have to disassemble the entire laptop to reach it.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 8:44:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Depends on how they did it. "Not user replaceable" doesn't always mean it can't be done; sometimes  it   means they want to scare you into paying money to get it done.  The  RAM could be  soldered in, like on the new Retina Macbook Pros. Other times it just requires disassembling the laptop, which is still possible. For example, Apple claims my 2011 Macbook Pro's battery is not   user replaceable, but all they did was put it inside the bottom cover. Remove 10 screws, take the cover off, and you can pop the battery  right out.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 11:11:30 AM EDT
[#6]
RAM could be hidden under the keyboard and require major disassembly.  Usually only Ultrabooks have RAM chips soldered to the mobo.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 11:19:25 AM EDT
[#7]
OP, can you find what RAM stick is recommended?

We might be able to discerne if it's a solder issue or an assembly issue that way.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 11:55:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OP, can you find what RAM stick is recommended?

We might be able to discerne if it's a solder issue or an assembly issue that way.
View Quote

I tried. I cannot find any info on the type of ram they are using.
They say it has two "dimms" and that it will hold a total of 16GB
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 4:48:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Can only find info about the L50A model not "D"
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 8:10:43 PM EDT
[#10]
well on ebay they have ram stick  that say they are for the l50d but i cant fine any pics.

closest thing other wise is this youtube for a l50a

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IG0lW7t92bI

adding a pic if you have one or consider something else.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 6:29:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
well on ebay they have ram stick  that say they are for the l50d but i cant fine any pics.

View Quote

I found this for the L50 series (must be for the A and D models) User's Guide for Satellite L40, L50, L70, S40, S50 S70-A Series (Windows 8)

Guide says RAM is replaceable.

hmmmm

also cant find the L50A Model on Toshiba's website.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 6:33:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I found this for the L50 series (must be for the A and D models) User's Guide for Satellite L40, L50, L70, S40, S50 S70-A Series (Windows 8)

hmmmm

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

hmmmm

The best way to find out (and the hardest), is to tear the case open and look at the ram physically.  If it's not soldered, you will be able to see how to remove it.  usually 2 metal clips on the edges will allow it to be rotated upwards when they are pressed towards the RAM stick.  

If it's soldered, you will notice.  

That would be what I'd do to be honest.  There's nothing like seeing for yourself.  You can also do an image search and see if anyone has taken a picture of it and look that way.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 6:38:34 AM EDT
[#13]
lol listen to this chick in this video.

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 9:27:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
lol listen to this chick in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6CZJYCf7M4
View Quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6CZJYCf7M4

i down voted that vid because i hate them. they just seem so cheap that the person couldn't even put the effort to use a mic, they had to use a text to speech program.

but if you have the laptop in your hands take a pic of the bottom because i cant find any on the web. not to mention a replacement motherboard. seems like they may not find may of those any ways because the laptop it self is so cheap.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 2:56:03 PM EDT
[#15]
i have a dell netbook that has the ram soldered to the same board with the processor
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 5:35:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
i have a dell netbook that has the ram soldered to the same board with the processor
View Quote

another reason to hate Dell shit
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 5:45:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, boo hoo.

I just sold a Dell notebook that had easy access to every user replaceable component including the CPU.

Every brand makes cheap, disposable products.  Grow up and deal with it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 6:06:46 PM EDT
[#18]

U said you needed it for this:

I need it just for these things:

NO GAMING

Acrobat Pro

Office Professional Plus

and maybe some other Army specific stuff.

How much RAM do you think all that uses? 4GB is overkill.

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 6:33:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
U said you needed it for this:

I need it just for these things:

NO GAMING

Acrobat Pro
Office Professional Plus

and maybe some other Army specific stuff.

How much RAM do you think all that uses? 4GB is overkill.

View Quote

I wont buy another computer that has 4GB or less of memory ever (unless I can upgrade it).

I dont buy the same shit with electronics, I upgrade. Old laptop was bought in mid 2009, its outdated and so is its 4GB of DDR2 800 ram.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:21:06 PM EDT
[#20]
I saw some Toshiba laptops at the PX today. One said ram is not upgradeable, other said it was.

No pics but the underside of the laptops was the same. It must be removed to see the slots for the ram.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:36:49 PM EDT
[#21]
If you feel confident providing your own End User Support ans Warranty find a gently used machine with the specs and upgradability that appeal to you.

Hell, I was pawn shop hopping today looking for the right desktop to turn into a server.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top