Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/16/2014 9:24:36 AM EDT
We've been doing a trial for an internal snack sales system because we've been unsatisfied with the snack food vendors we've used. It's a lot of work to manually create invoices for this and e-mail them to people based on the maintained spreadsheet though. Short of writing a custom piece of separate software, does the functionality exist in office such that you could write a script to generate e-mails that pull info from the spreadsheet (name, e-mail, amount owed, etc) to act as invoices for people and e-mail them out?
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 11:18:08 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

We've been doing a trial for an internal snack sales system because we've been unsatisfied with the snack food vendors we've used. It's a lot of work to manually create invoices for this and e-mail them to people based on the maintained spreadsheet though. Short of writing a custom piece of separate software, does the functionality exist in office such that you could write a script to generate e-mails that pull info from the spreadsheet (name, e-mail, amount owed, etc) to act as invoices for people and e-mail them out?
View Quote
Possible? Yes.  But, any IT guy worth his salt is going to whack you with a stick for thinking of it.

Do you use Quickbooks?  That has the capability of generating invoices and emailing them.  With QB, you'll have a whole other bunch of tools to use that eventually, you are going to need anyway.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 1:36:56 PM EDT
[#2]
It shouldn't be that hard to do, but not necessarily pretty.

MSWord knows how to do the mass mailing part.  The spreadsheet can be used as an ODBC database data source.

Link Posted: 7/16/2014 3:11:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Possible? Yes.  But, any IT guy worth his salt is going to whack you with a stick for thinking of it.  

Do you use Quickbooks?  That has the capability of generating invoices and emailing them.  With QB, you'll have a whole other bunch of tools to use that eventually, you are going to need anyway.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the suggestion. I should have considered that maybe there was some sort of readily available and affordable accounting software like that that could be used and asked for suggestions.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 3:12:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

MSWord knows how to do the mass mailing part.  The spreadsheet can be used as an ODBC database data source.

View Quote

Yeah I saw that MSWord had some kind of mail merge function and might have been able to do it but was unsure if/how it could work with an excel file to do a mailing.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:23:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Unless I am missing something, it should be simple to do using MS-word mail merge and a source spreadsheet.

I'd still consider it a bandaid, though.  The poster who mentioned Quickbooks above is not an idiot.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:26:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yeah I saw that MSWord had some kind of mail merge function and might have been able to do it but was unsure if/how it could work with an excel file to do a mailing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The mail merge wizard is not bad at all.  You link a source sheet, select source fields, etc.  The wizard is designed for basic tasks, but mail merge will generally let you insert fields however and wherever you wish from a single source spreadsheet.  It might let you do multiples, but I have no idea.

I've created mass mailings with all kinds of information including envelopes, letters and quotes from spreadsheets.  

The bottom line, though, is you are usually jerry rigging something done better and more efficiently by another piece of software.  At least in my experience.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top