Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/6/2014 10:06:19 PM EDT
Older (~2006) Thinkpad R60.  Has a Core 2 Duo at 1.83 GHz.  It appears the fastest CPU I can install is a Core 2 Duo at 2.2 GHz. This is a secondary computer.  Primary computer is an i7 desktop.

I already put in 4 GB of RAM and replaced an old HDD with a newer HDD (not an SSD).

For $40 (on a laptop worth probably $100 these days), do you think I'll be able to tell any real world difference?

Link Posted: 7/6/2014 10:08:59 PM EDT
[#1]
An ssd would have made more difference in real world performance than the CPU will.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 10:14:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
An ssd would have made more difference in real world performance than the cup will.
View Quote

No doubt but when I upgraded the HD probably 2 years ago, the SSD prices were nuts.  If the HD dies again, I'll put in a SSD.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 10:16:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I like old think pads, my dad has a 60 series I recommended to him that has been tough as nails.  If it were me I'd do it, why not?
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 4:08:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Doubt it will work, laptop CPU upgrades are a crapshoot. I have never been able to get one to recognize a upgraded CPU, even if supported. I think they lock the BIOS to the CPU shipped with the system.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 5:26:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I wouldn't do it. First off its too old to be able to tell any difference in everyday work. Also, laptop CPU's are beasts to replace.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 5:37:13 AM EDT
[#6]
I just recently upgraded.  I had a Lenovo SL500 Core 2 Duo,  After reviewing installing an ssd I found I would have to sacrifice my optical drive plus the system was just old.  This was a deal killer.  So I picked up a used Lenovo T520 i7 (paid $340 still warrantied) .  Added a 250gb ssd card drive as well as upgrading the hard drive to 1TB. Wow, is it fast!
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 5:53:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I wouldn't do it. First off its too old to be able to tell any difference in everyday work. Also, laptop CPU's are beasts to replace.
View Quote

Not hardly.  It just depends on the model.

Some you have to completely tear down.  Others, remove the access panel and the heat sink.

Many business class laptops are built to support component replacement (like if a part fails).  It adds value to the product.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 5:55:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

No doubt but when I upgraded the HD probably 2 years ago, the SSD prices were nuts.  If the HD dies again, I'll put in a SSD.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
An ssd would have made more difference in real world performance than the cup will.

So upgrade to SSD now
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 5:57:18 AM EDT
[#9]
I doubt you would see any real world performance difference.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 8:26:35 AM EDT
[#10]
No.  Max RAM and install solid state drive.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 9:49:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Regarding the CPU being hard to replace, that's not true for this model.  I've replaced the fan before and the CPU socket was right there.  Labor isn't a issue for this particular laptop.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 5:03:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 8:09:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
No.  Max RAM and install solid state drive.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/7/2014 8:14:03 PM EDT
[#14]
I say don't bother. You might notice a difference with processor intensive applications, but otherwise probably not.

Edit: Get a SSD. Seriously. Even an old, cheap one.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 9:45:14 PM EDT
[#15]
I think I'm going to skip the CPU upgrade and wait for black friday to put in a small SSD.  Can probably get 120gb for $50, I imagine.

Thanks all.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 10:11:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I think I'm going to skip the CPU upgrade and wait for black friday to put in a small SSD.  Can probably get 120gb for $50, I imagine.

Thanks all.
View Quote

this is the one I bought

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E3W15P0/ref=twister_B00EHFJJHY
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 10:34:36 PM EDT
[#17]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks all.

this is the one I bought

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E3W15P0/ref=twister_B00EHFJJHY

I'm looking at that 840 EVO or an Intel 530.  I have an 840 Pro in my desktop and it's great.  It can wait till black friday though.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 10:10:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Doubt it will work, laptop CPU upgrades are a crapshoot. I have never been able to get one to recognize a upgraded CPU, even if supported. I think they lock the BIOS to the CPU shipped with the system.
View Quote

Interesting.  I've probably upgraded over a dozen Dells, all with the T7600 on the top end.  Never an issue with the latest BIOS.

I say go for it.  You will generate more heat and use more power (on battery).  

Link Posted: 7/18/2014 10:15:18 AM EDT
[#19]
So I didn't end up getting the 2.2GHz chip, but I did find a 2.0 GhZ chip for $14 to my door.  I figured why the hell not and 2.0GHz is a nice round number.

Swapped out the chip, blew out what appeared to be 8 years of dust bunnies on the fan, and applied new thermal grease.  

It actually runs quite noticeably cooler, but that's obviously because of the improved cooling (from the non-obstructed fan and fresh thermal paste) since the chip itself should run slightly hotter.

As far as performance, I can tell no difference in the 170 MHz speed upgrade.  I doubt the 2.2 chip would have been noticeable either.  Glad I skipped it.

Thanks for the input guys.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 10:46:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Sweet find on the CPU!

Are you still considering a SSD??
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 10:53:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Sweet find on the CPU!

View Quote

Black Friday!  Looking for 128GB from Intel or Samsung.  My storage needs on this laptop are minimal.  Beyond the OS/apps, if I have 1 GB of stuff on there then I'd be surprised.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 11:10:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Black Friday!  Looking for 128GB from Intel or Samsung.  My storage needs on this laptop are minimal.  Beyond the OS/apps, if I have 1 GB of stuff on there then I'd be surprised.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sweet find on the CPU!

With the SSD+HDD setup in my Windows 8.1 laptop, I could get by easily with a 60GB SSD.  But going with a 120 will give you nice storage ability.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 1:13:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
An ssd would have made more difference in real world performance than the CPU will.
View Quote

This

We went over this with me a few weeks ago. For something that old, I would spend $200-$300 for a new laptop.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 2:19:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

This

We went over this with me a few weeks ago. For something that old, I would spend $200-$300 for a new laptop.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

Not interested.  Most laptops come with Windows 8.1.  It's hard to find one that will let you upgrade it to Windows 7.

Beyond that, I don't want to spend even $300 on a new laptop when my old one does what I want, albeit a little slowly.

Lastly, I like the "workhorse" nature of the old Thinkpads.  They were designed to be rugged and to be serviceable.  They have proven to be both for me.

If they made a T60 with an i7 motherboard, I'd consider it.  They don't.  They make a Thinkpad with an i7, but it's not the Thinkpad of yore and it's no T60.

Eventually (probably when Win 7 is EOL) I'll have to get a new laptop.  I hope they make something like the old Thinkpad when that day comes.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top