Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2014 9:30:34 AM EDT
Had to get a new hard drive today mine got fried in a storm. It's an HP that came with windows 8.1 and  Mcafee  . Some suggestions.  

Link Posted: 5/29/2014 11:28:30 AM EDT
[#1]
I like Kaspersky PURE 3.0 Total Security .....
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 5:56:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 7:27:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Our company uses BitDefender for our clients who want to use an antivirus. I, personally, use MSE and MalwareBytes Pro. Although, MSE has been getting kind of left out by Microsoft lately, so I might start looking for something else. I only use Windows on my personal computer (iMac) when I have to through Parallels, so virus protection isn't something essential for my personal use.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 10:15:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I use Malwarebytes Pro, Microsoft Security Essentials, and Firefox + NoScript plugin.  I'm also behind pfSense installed on a Watchguard Firebox x750e.

We sell ESET and Vipre to our clients and those that don't want to pay for an AV get MSE.

Link Posted: 5/31/2014 12:28:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 2:02:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Same question for home computing Win8.  I've had good luck with Norton 360 on XP and Win7, but I'm considering freeware for Win8.

Would you consider the Malwarebytes free version sufficient?
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 2:06:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Dont go with NORTON 360 . It let a loop virus on my computer.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 2:53:29 PM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Same question for home computing Win8.  I've had good luck with Norton 360 on XP and Win7, but I'm considering freeware for Win8.

Would you consider the Malwarebytes free version sufficient?
View Quote
Malwarebytes is a Anti-Malware program, not a Anti-Virus program. They protect you from two different threats. Some Anti-Virus programs include Anti-Malware but not all do. The free version of Malwarebytes does not include real time scanning, so it will not protect you from real time threats. Its only really useful after you have been infected.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 3:30:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Kaspersky PURE 3.0 here along with Malwarebytes Pro.  I also use NoScript with Firefox.  I've been messing around with the Aviator browser lately.  DuckDuckGo for searching.

For our clients that want something free, I have suggested MSE in the past. Now I suggest BitDefender.  FYI, if you lurk, you can sometimes get Kaspersky PURE for free...typically from NewEgg.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:53:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Just wanted to say that I've tried a half-dozen of them, and I've been VERY happy with Avira for the past 6 months or so.

Bitdefender free is also very good, as is Kaspersky.

My personal preference through is #1 Avira and #2 Bitdefender, but I like a lot of German software.... Ashampoo, Avira, Nero, etc

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:18:35 PM EDT
[#12]
I just got BitDefender on a 30-day trial.  Thanks, all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top