Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/23/2014 4:48:42 PM EDT
I haven't been on here in a few days because my computer kept locking up just after boot-up.  As it turned out three of the six capacitors next to the processor had blown and the remaining three were suspect.  I took the board out and managed to replace the six capacitors.  Unsoldering them turned out to be the hardest part.  The machine is now running like a top.  

I know, Cool Story Bro.  But, I thought I'd share.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:50:35 AM EDT
[#1]
My old mobo went out the same way last year.  I replaced only the caps I saw were swollen, instead of replacing all of them.  The others must've been had issues, because it failed a few weeks later.  I was planning on upgrading anyways, so I wasn't too concerned.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 2:21:47 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

My old mobo went out the same way last year.  I replaced only the caps I saw were swollen, instead of replacing all of them.  The others must've been had issues, because it failed a few weeks later.  I was planning on upgrading anyways, so I wasn't too concerned.
View Quote
Depending on your soldering skills, it may have failed due to the MB coming apart from too much heat during the repair. This is why I don't fix motherboards, way to much to go wrong and I cant afford a solder bath to fix them properly.

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 6:05:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Depending on your soldering skills, it may have failed due to the MB coming apart from too much heat during the repair. This is why I don't fix motherboards, way to much to go wrong and I cant afford a solder bath to fix them properly.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a temperature controlled soldering iron and used to do component repair in the early 1990's.  There was no de-lamination or other damage caused by removing the caps.  Besides the swollen caps, the 4 pin plug that comes from the psu had dark discoloration on two pins, and that could've been related to the blown caps, or a different problem in itself.

The issue my pc was having was it would randomly turn off, until it wouldn't come back on at all.  Replacing the two caps appeared to fix the problem, at least for two weeks.  It was an Athlon X2-5000 built right before Vista came out, so it was ready for replacement.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 12:15:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 4:10:35 PM EDT
[#5]
My buddy from whom I got the caps has noticed failure of a lot of devices due to this issue:  
when some of the cheaper import cap manufacturers stole the recipes for making caps,what they stole was not correct , and was a high failure among them.
View Quote

He is also of the opinion that this mode of failure may be deliberate as the failure almost always occurs shortly after the warrantee expires.  He thinks it may be like a chemical fuse that goes off after a certain time.  

Re-capping some devices has brought him a bit of income, hence why he had the caps on hand.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 9:49:14 AM EDT
[#6]
The whole thing about Chinese stealing electrolyte formula really only had legs about 12-15 years ago, and only for certain brands.

These days, it's just simple economics:  Cheap capacitors are cheap, and save the company a couple of dollars per board.

Yes, many do it because if the board lasts two years or three, it's out of warranty.   And in that time you may want to upgrade anyway, right?  

So, these days, lots of places use solid organic capacitors, they'll far outlast the usefulness of the board.  However, some of the cheap places use wet electrolytics that *LOOK* like the solid units.  The only real difference noticeable is that the wet ones have score marks on top (for when they inevitably fail), while the solids don't.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 6:50:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My buddy from whom I got the caps has noticed failure of a lot of devices due to this issue:  

He is also of the opinion that this mode of failure may be deliberate as the failure almost always occurs shortly after the warrantee expires.  He thinks it may be like a chemical fuse that goes off after a certain time.  

Re-capping some devices has brought him a bit of income, hence why he had the caps on hand.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
when some of the cheaper import cap manufacturers stole the recipes for making caps,what they stole was not correct , and was a high failure among them.

Kudos to him for capturing that revenue.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top