Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/23/2014 10:58:18 AM EDT
netsh int tcp set global timestamps=enabled

Whats that do?  Corp spying?  lol
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:03:22 AM EDT
[#1]
It appears to improve bandwidth calculation to allow for better transfer of large files.

In order to improve the accuracy of the bandwidth calculation TCP can use Timestamps attached to packages. I have used telnet on the med500 and found that it also has timestamps enabled. You do this using the following command:-

cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_timestamps, and get the return 1.

So i have enabled timstamps on my PC using the following command:-

This seems to keep the bandwidth more stable. It may seem counter intuitive to improve thoughput by adding administrative overhead but it appears to work.

View Quote
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:00:30 PM EDT
[#2]
TCP timestamps will not improve or change anything related to the performance of TCP sessions.  TCP timestamp is used for applications and/or network monitoring tool to capture round trip time...latency.   This option puts 10B (I think) in the TCP header set by the host.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:01:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Whats that do?  Corp spying?  lol
View Quote

The real question should be "Why didn't they make this change on my machine without me knowing?".
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:35:59 PM EDT
[#4]
It's obviously an attempt to out you as a 'l33t hack3r', since you know how to get to a command prompt.
Hide you dag!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top