Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/21/2014 4:30:25 AM EDT
FU ARMY FT. GORDON NEC.

I use MS one drive to store files that I work on at home. Now the fucking site is blocked. I sent a bitching email to Ft. Gordons NEC and they told me to use AKO could. Yeaa iirc 100MB is going to cover everything.

Without doing anything illegal, is there a way that I can get to https://onedrive.live.com/?
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:12:19 AM EDT
[#1]
It would be hazardous to your career to try and circumvent the blocks they have on.  And to be honest no there aren't any ways to get around it.  They are more than likely running multiple filters and they all log what you do and where you go.  So you would be easily found out if you tried it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:17:20 AM EDT
[#2]
go home and download it to a thumbdrive or other approved media
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 12:04:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Google drive is also blocked but I found out that if you open it via Gmail, you can get into it but you cant upload or download anything.

Fuck you NEC.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 12:39:41 PM EDT
[#4]
There are usually ways around it, but it is against most companies' (I realize this is Army) terms and would get you fired lickety-split.  They probably blocked it to eliminate people downloading questionable items onto their network, compromising their systems.  It's a valid security issue.

Are the items you're trying to download large, or do they have an alternate network?  Where I work we have a restricted corporate network that is limited, but a wireless connection where anything goes for personal devices.  Is that an option?  Can you use your phone to get the docs, or tether a personal laptop to your phone and download?
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 3:06:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 3:48:26 AM EDT
[#6]
If you are using the army system, the best bet is probably to download your files at home and burn to a dvd.  You may have to check your dvd in with your computer security folks when you bring it in.  A thumb drive would be a no go.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 3:55:05 AM EDT
[#7]
i run splashtop streamer on my phone to remotely take control of my home computer and use the remoted browser to load the site.

If i need a file, I download it to my home computer and email it to myself.

Its kludgey but it works

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:43:11 AM EDT
[#8]
HA HA yea ok "Snowden" I am not touching that with a ten foot poll.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:38:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I wonder why they wouldn't want someone uploading and/or downloading data to/from their network?  It's not like it's part of the nation's defense infrastructure or anything.  
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 2:17:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
personal vpn
View Quote

Wont work.  He wouldn't be able to download or install it.  As soon as he tried to go to a VPN site it would be blocked and logged.  Again your not going to win this battle.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 5:40:47 PM EDT
[#11]
He may not be doing super secret stuff, for all we know he's doing stupid training ppts. Use a thumb drive, or look at something like Dropbox
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 8:54:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Set up FTP server? I've downloaded stuff via FTP many times. Granted it was software for our VTC equipment and whatnot.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 10:51:10 PM EDT
[#13]
You could create an SSH tunnel into your home system.  This may work since you can create the tunnel on just about any port that you want.  There are plenty of tutorials for setting these up.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 3:13:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Setting up (or attempting to set up) a virtual network or vpn will put you at high risk of having your network access revoked quite expeditiously.  Yeah, blocking some of the ports and sites like one drive make it miserable to take work home and back, but it also makes the network a bit more secure.  Get some rewritable cd's, and software on the home pc that is compatible with the mean green software.  It will take a few extra minutes, but it will work.
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 11:33:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Ironically someone hasn't been paying attention to the mandatory Ft Gordon IA training.

Why not just ask for a work assigned laptop to take back and forth?
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 11:45:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Use your cell phone.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 3:21:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Gmail has a couple gigs of storage.  Upload file to email. Save draft. Download file from draft to different computer. Delete draft (if you need more space)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top