Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2014 11:55:48 AM EDT

I am looking to set up the coax just to receive the locals. We have done away with cable and will be going the streaming option. I don't see the tuner listed in the specs but I wasn't sure if it would be called anything else.  Another problem I am seeing is that is does not have an USB port so I wouldn't be able to hook up chromecast or anything of the sort. Any way around this?

Thanks!

Douglas

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 9:45:25 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

TV I Have

View Quote

I am looking to set up the coax just to receive the locals. We have done away with cable and will be going the streaming option. I don't see the tuner listed in the specs but I wasn't sure if it would be called anything else.  Another problem I am seeing is that is does not have an USB port so I wouldn't be able to hook up chromecast or anything of the sort. Any way around this?

Thanks!

Douglas
Chromecast uses hdmi.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:47:58 AM EDT
[#2]
For the TV, if it has a coax input then it has some sort of tuner.  Note that your link is bad, so no one can see the type of TV you have.  The switchover to digital ATSC happened in the US in 2009, so if your tv was built more recently than that, it is pretty much guaranteed to have a digital tuner.  You could also look at the manual online, which should have some discussion on tuning digital stations (which will have a decimal point in the number, as in 11.3).

Mike
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:07:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
TV I Have

Thanks!

Douglas
View Quote

How many tvs will you be streaming to total?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:14:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I did not know that about Chromecast. have you ever used it?  I will only be streaming to the one tv downstairs are our next one will have the xbox hooked up to it.

My TV was manufactured in 2010. At the house i recently moved from when I hooked up the coax and did the automatic channel register it didn't find any at all. That is why I thought I may need to get some sort of tuner

Douglas
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:37:29 AM EDT
[#5]
If it had a coax connection, it has a built-in tuner.  Something I noticed is with over the air digital signals, antenna placement is very important.  With digital, either you get enough of a signal to assemble the picture, or you don't.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 8:37:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I did not know that about Chromecast. have you ever used it?  I will only be streaming to the one tv downstairs are our next one will have the xbox hooked up to it.

My TV was manufactured in 2010. At the house i recently moved from when I hooked up the coax and did the automatic channel register it didn't find any at all. That is why I thought I may need to get some sort of tuner

Douglas
View Quote

I don't know what cable provider you have but Comcast (at least where I'm at) has completely done away with receiving any "free" stations even local ones.  Even a TV with a tuner will not be able to find any stations without being hooked up to a cable box.  If you're talking about plugging in an HDTV antenna to receive local stations that way then ignore this whole thing...
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:28:05 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I don't know what cable provider you have but Comcast (at least where I'm at) has completely done away with receiving any "free" stations even local ones.  Even a TV with a tuner will not be able to find any stations without being hooked up to a cable box.  If you're talking about plugging in an HDTV antenna to receive local stations that way then ignore this whole thing...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Douglas

I was speaking of using the coax from the wall, but it seems I would have to have some sort of antenna. Like bunny ears? I didn't even know they had HDMI antennas. Are those sufficient enough to pick up local stations being broadcasted.

We have have time warner internet. We don't have any provider but I thought the locals were still always offered.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top