Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2014 5:03:11 AM EDT
Anyone else seeing this?  We have security essentials on about 35 XP machines and when support ended and the nags started, Security essentials started screaming the loudest, popping up nags all the time.... this morning two of them started getting MSMPENG errors so often the machine was nearly unusable.  I ended up taking security essentials off one of them to get it going again... Are most people switching to Avira or Avast or is there a fix for all of the nagging and such with SE?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:18:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I took Microsoft essentials and security essentials off. I think I turned off the auto update too. I think those were the things slowing my kids' desktop down to the point of uselessness. Loaded Norton back onto the system which is provided by Comcast.

I read about that security essentials too, it only picks up about 40% of known threats from what I remember.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:37:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I took Microsoft essentials and security essentials off. I think I turned off the auto update too. I think those were the things slowing my kids' desktop down to the point of uselessness. Loaded Norton back onto the system which is provided by Comcast.

I read about that security essentials too, it only picks up about 40% of known threats from what I remember.
View Quote

Yes about 6 months ago I had to turn off auto updates too..... even had to kill the service using msconfig... the machines would slow down during the day for hours (even though they were scheduled to update at night).
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:07:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:29:43 AM EDT
[#4]
our xp and server 03 machines crapped out, remove se or endpoint/ccm. i believe the engine was updated causing the headaches.
we had two offices complaining at 5am yesterday.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:51:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 7:49:00 PM EDT
[#6]
MS also threw a couple of scheduled nags in for good measure. Boot in safe mode, disable the service, reboot and uninstall ms security essentials, install something else.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top