Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/15/2014 3:49:12 PM EDT
Hi There,

Recently, I built a PC. The problem seems to lie with the video card/monitor.

I am running a Nvidia 650ti 1GB thru an HDMI into a 32" Samsung LCD TV that I have used as a monitor.

The native resolution per the video card is 1280 X 720. At least it says 'recommended' next to this res in several places. On the desktop it looks fine.

The problem is gaming. And i do a lot of gaming. While I have found the res in the option in some games, the vast vast majority do not support it. The problem is that, no matter what I set the resolution to,there is always a bit hanging off the sides and/or bottom. Like it doesn't fit. The is annoying and has rendered some games unplayable. I've fooled around with the settings but, so far, no luck. Including setting a custom resolution. Like I said, it only becomes a problem in games. Everything else works.

Interestingly, my last video card was an Nvidia 8800gts (old I know) but it had the same monitor as 1368X760. This time it doesn't work.

Does anybody have any suggestions? This is getting really annoying as the wife and I can't even play some of our favorite games because just a hair bit falls off the screen. Of course, it is the important stuff.

Very much appreciate any help.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:25:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I think your TV is having compatibility issues with your video signal.
My Sony doesn't lock in, always, the way I want it to.

Do you have another monitor/screen you can test this on?

Tigerdirect had a 23" monitor for $179 (or something close) the other day. Might be worth looking into.

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 8:24:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I was afraid of that.

Do you think the HDMI can have anything to do with it? I'll plug the standard cable in but was curious about your thoughts.

If it still doesn't work would it be a video card issue? Think a new card might fix it? A little stumped because the TV has always worked with my previous setup. Been fooling with the Nvidia settings. Like aspect, scaling, full screen and the like but between that and the custom res there are so many options.

I really like my TV/monitor.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:46:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was afraid of that.

Do you think the HDMI can have anything to do with it? I'll plug the standard cable in but was curious about your thoughts.

If it still doesn't work would it be a video card issue? Think a new card might fix it? A little stumped because the TV has always worked with my previous setup. Been fooling with the Nvidia settings. Like aspect, scaling, full screen and the like but between that and the custom res there are so many options.

I really like my TV/monitor.
View Quote

Make sure you have the latest whql drivers installed?

If the issue still persists than the problem is either with the monitor (most likely, some form of overscan) or video card.

I have a similar issue with my xbox 360.  When I set the output resolution to the monitors resolution, I get letterboxing.  But when I set the output resolution to 1280 X 720, the whole screen is filled.  Granted it isn't as sharp as the native resolution, but it is preferable to letterboxing.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:05:34 AM EDT
[#4]
On the topic of scanning. I have it set to underscan.

That is an excellent point I should make. The desktop is fine. Took a little adjusting but not much. When I do that I end up with some weird 'custom resolution' but it is like 5% off a 'normal' one.

In games, it doesn't matter what I set it to. 800 X 600 doesn't look any different from others.

I am thinking it is the video card. I have heard of this stuff but it was always correctable, you know? On my earlier builds I had the money and always got a nice card this is the first budget one I have. Can you expect things like this? The card is an excellent value, don't get me wrong. It chugs along with no problems. But, I can see the difference even with settings maxed out. It doesn't look as crisp.

ETA: all drivers are updated.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 1:12:03 PM EDT
[#5]
In games, it doesn't matter what I set it to. 800 X 600 doesn't look any different from others. -- makes me think something, somewhere is scaling it. Check for that in your video car control panel.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 3:46:27 PM EDT
[#6]
C'mon guys! Don't give up on me now.

I checked out my video card setting for the upteenth time and selected 'no scaling'. THAT made a change. However, all it did was put a game in a letterbox, takes up like 25% total of screen. Right in the middle. Looks good otherwise. However, the cutoff part? Was still cutoff.

Below are some snips I made of the desktop and settings. I'll explain below but I think I finally can define the problem........or part of it.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 4:22:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Okay, so, the first snip is what my Nvidia control panel looks like. Note, native is 1280 X 720 and my resolution is set to 1280 X 720. HOWEVER, with that resolution, and it set to underscan, overscan, or anything in between, the desktop looks like the second pic. Note that I took a lot of care snipping it. That is exactly how it appears. With the top, bottom, and edges cut off. That is also how games appear. I can resize my desktop using the Nvidia tool and it works! However, it is not the native resolution (is some weird number) and this resizing does not change games at all, regardless of resolution. Make sense?? If nothing comes from this I am giving up I have decided. Google doesn't help much. There are a million monitors, video cards, and configurations. You know, I am no PC expert (obviously) but I can pretty much always fix anything wrong with it hardware or software wise with a quick Google. But this one has done me in.

What you are looking at here are the edges, start bar, etc. I snipped it exactly where it runs off of the screen.

You know...............................I have an AWESOME idea. Typing it all out made me think of a couple of things......let's see......

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 4:43:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I see two things I'd play with:

1: Perform scaling on: Display  What are your other choices?
2: Override the scaling mode set by games and programs. What happens when you check that box?

Note: Don't try both of them. Do one, then see what's going on.
Report results, please.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:04:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Success!! I repeat, Success!!

I figured it out.

Should have re-read earlier posts.........like the one where I said I would unplug the HDMI and try DVI.....

So, ignore the above. I'll explain below for others surfing the web and having this trouble. Maybe it will help them.

Originally, I ran HDMI from my vid card out to the TV/monitor. The screen came right up, no problems.

HOWEVER. The MONITOR (which is actually a TV) just picked up the HDMI port. It did NOT switch to 'PC' mode. In fact, I couldn't manually switch it either just now. So, as far as the TV was concerned, it was just displaying everything like it had a Blue Ray player plugged in. Since it wasn't in PC mode, and could not be with HDMI being used, it wasn't doing whatever monitors do to display and react to changes. Heck, it occurred to me that when I said '....a change in resolution doesn't make any difference...' that the resolution itself wasn't even changing! Duh.

I don't entirely understand the why but I get it. Anyway, the HDMI had better color than the DVI but I can fool with that in the settings. Refresh rate is a lot better though. Not as blurry. I just thought it was a cheaper video card thing.

Anyway, if anybody understands the details of it I'd be happy to hear.

Thanks again for all of the input and attention. Much obliged!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top