Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 6/5/2004 4:27:54 PM EDT
[#1]
last semester of computer science.  w00t.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 5:25:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Im new this Board.  Heck didn't even know it existed till today.  

Sweet.

I will bug you all with many Questions.

Mike
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 12:56:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Software/Firmware engineer/hired gun.  Most of my career I've been a "regular employee" at several firms (mostly HP); however, now I'm a contract engineer through a headhunter.  BSCS Eastern Washington University ('84) and AA Electronics North Idaho College ('80).
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:34:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:10:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Currently in a career program (night class). Just passed IC3, now in A+. Will graduate end of April with MCSA, and will take extra class for MCSE afterward.

Nick
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 12:02:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WizardOfAhs] [#6]
First box was a brand spankin new Apple IIe shortly after paper was invented and stone tablets became domestic weapons. I even had a TI-994A (SINGING: Flintstone's, we're the flintstones..) Went on to IBM compats and attained the Status of DOS GURU (All hail EDIT, death to EDLIN! where Dos-5 was the ONLY OS MS ever did right), Harfed projectile vomit at Win 3.1 but had to bone up on it to repair the messes people created with their own boxes. Harfed again when Win95 came out. Became interested in the work of Linus Torvalds in his Linux Kernel and watched with enthusiasm as Richard Stallman of GNU and so many others hammered out a very cool OS. Laughed my ass off at Win98 and looked at Win98SE with equal disdain.

Struggled through networking a former employers boxes with NT4, Boy, did MS ever screw THAT up. Maybe I should send Bill my Tylenol 3 and BEER reciepts. I wandered around "The Microsoft Compound" in March of 1998 and discovered that crime does indeed pay. Poor Steve Jobs, he should have been running THAT show.

Repaired often ME and XP systems with equal disgust whilst wading through all the "XP rocks" bullshit.

I build my own boxes where LINUX reigns! I'm a nerd with a flat top and I don't wear glasses, yet I am known for gobbling down doritos and diet sprite in equal proportions , however, I am NOT a network ADMIN nor do I play one on TV.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 2:27:39 AM EDT
[#7]

Originally Posted By Ire:
Well, since we've got our own techie forum, how about everyone introducing themselves....

Me? I'm a Unix (Solaris)/Win nt/2k sys admin.  I started out with NT, moved to Linux, then to Solaris.  I also work with SQL, Perl, Apache, Sendmail, Bind, PHP, and SSH/SSL.  Been doing it for about 10 years, and still find tons to learn.

so, that's me.  who are you?

I wana be like you.

Really.

I'm not being mean.

I can do advanced NT no prob...  *nix is hard for me... I keep killing x-windows..
Link Posted: 11/27/2004 11:39:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Network admin / webmaster / project manager / IT manager

I do a little of everything. Linux (debian my favorite distro), NT/2k/2k3, really old phone systems (had to pull that one outa my @$$ one day when it crashed), websites, etc etc etc...

I have dual t3s patched directly into my pants.
Link Posted: 12/9/2004 4:05:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Just saying hey to all the techies out there.  I was a Windows sys admin for the military who just entered the civilian world. I'm very experienced in Windows 98/NT/2000/XP and the server versions of NT/2000/2003.  I also know Linux pretty well.  I know html/javascript/C++ pretty well and I am currently looking for work so.......  If anyone knows someone who needs a good windows/linux admin I am here.  I'm just out of the military, FYI for any employers who knows what the means. :)
Link Posted: 1/23/2005 10:11:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm a self taught computer geek, with a little formal "schooling" in the military. I was a crypto in the Navy. I specialize in Linux these days but have experience with everything M$ has put out over the past 15 years or so. Tech support is not what I would call fun, but I've done it. My true calling is taking a bunch of components that theoretically shouldn't work when used together and finding a way to make them work. I love building and wiring and fixing stuff.
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 7:21:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Hello,

I'm mainly a routing/switching guy, recently thrown into VoIP.
Link Posted: 3/28/2005 4:18:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Geek of all trades, master of none (at least according to me, it's amazing how simple it is to impress someone though)

I know a lot of: Linux/freeBSD, Win9x/nt/2k/xp, x86 hardware, PhotoShop/GIMP, Perl, PHP, HTML, JavaScript and basic networking
I know some of: C/C++, Java, Apache configs, routing/BIND/firewalling, bash shell scripting
I wish I never experienced anything having to do with: ASP, VB, VBScript, WinME, RPMs

I try to not come off as an elitist prick. I fail at this endeavour quite often.
Link Posted: 4/6/2005 1:33:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Started on a TRS-80 Model 100.  Moved up to a Tandy 1000SX.  Damn, that 10 MB external HD upgrade was nice.  

I know a little of everything (forest, trees, you get the picture).  Right now, I'm working on production code to analyze several TB of physics data (C++, postgres, ROOT, etc).
Link Posted: 4/6/2005 4:57:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 5:34:59 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm young, into PHP and webdevelopment.

Right now I just sell webhosting and enjoy life.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 2:08:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Hey everyone, glad I found this website and forum.  

I've been a LEO for over 7 years in Louisiana.  I've been on patrol until about 8 months ago when I transferred to an assistant computer administrator position.  I've been into computers as a hobby for over a decade and now do it full time for our department.  

I'm a staunch supporter of the folding at home cause and have been folding for team short-media for over a year with over 1.25 million points accrued for that team alone.  If nobody is familiar with the project I'd take a good look at it as it is a very worthy cause that costs nothing to contribute to other than electricity.  They have made great inroads in research into diseases such as alzheimers, certain forms of cancer, mad cows disease, parkinsons disease, and others.

I play battlefield 1942 (with desert combat mod) quite often and am looking forward to the release of battlefield 2.  If anyone else plays this game please contact me I'd love to link up.  If anyone knows of a good server where any members here frequent let me know and I'll be more than happy to drop by.
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 10:36:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JBowles] [#17]
lets see I do a little Visual Basic, and some C for PIC microcontrollers.
This fall I start at Mizzou working on my Computer engineering degree.

I play alot of Americas Army, CounterStrike(1.6 and source) and some UT2K4.

And I enjoy building new Computers, robots and hacking things.
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 2:21:13 PM EDT
[#18]
I am a Network Engineer for an Internet Service Provider in Eastern Oregon.

One of my side responsibilities is installing new wireless access points and backhauls to expand our wireless internet service.

I have experience with pretty much all MS operating systems, Linux, OpenBSD, OSX, StarOS, previous versions of mac OS, and a tiny bit of Unix.

As far as my personal home computers go, I have -

Mac G5 dual 2.7, running Mac OS 10.4

Apple Powerbook G4

Gaming PC - Asus SLI motherboard, Dual 6800 Ultra cards in SLI, 2GB Mushkin PC3200 RAM (2-2-2-6 timings), athlon64 4000+, Klipsch Speakers, etc.   Mainly used for PC gaming.

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:17:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Well, lets see how i pair up to some of ya'll.

I started to work with Network's in 1995. I ran 2 seperate BBS's at that time, one based off of PC-BOARD and another off of Spitfire. Between 1995 and 1999 I was programming in Basic, VB, and Pascal. I also was responsible for the High Schools print server, and PC repairs. I was a BETA tester for Spec Ops Ranger Team Ranger, also did some scripting in LISP for the company.

After high school was the Navy. I was a BM - but often when the servers crashed (which was often because our IT's were dumb) i worked out of Radio putting the ships mail server and other servers online. At this point i also worked on a project for the Navy which involved PDA's, wireless server, and patient records.

Since i left the Navy in 2002, i've built PC's for various members of the family including 2 business machines for a faily good sized company. I've also completed half of the course work for the CCNA. I'm working on my AS right now in Computer Information Systems with an emphasize in Geographic Information Systems.

This semster should be my last for my AS. I've got C++ ahead of me and quite a few simple courses. I use Windows XP Pro and Linux mainly. I'd like to find a job in Sys Administration or GIS when i'm done. As for a BS, if i could get my math down pat then a BS in Comp Sci would be nice. I'm good with computers, but not math. Oh well.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:26:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Network Engineer and Unix nerd going on 10 years now.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:05:18 PM EDT
[#21]
In the beginning I was but a lowly layer one networking guy (cable puller).  I then advanced in the ranks of computerdom to begin enjoying the humble life of a PC tech in a building with around four thousand PCs.

Then one day I drew this sword from a rock and was thrust into the noble profession of repairing the great and powerful Sun servers and workstations.  And there I bide my time (waiting for Solaris 10 to load at the moment).
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:59:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Okay, I'll play.

I'm presently and AS/400 System Adminstrator, with some AIX and VMS thrown in for fun.

I don't code for a living now, but I keep up with C++. Past master of FORTRAN, BASIC, Pascal, FORTH, HP SPL, and so many scripting languages I can't keep count.

My first exposure to computers was in 1974 in a gradeschool summer program, and I built my first general purpose computer in 1975. I still have four working S-100 systems, a Kaypro II, Apple ][+, Apple IIgs, Heath Zenith H-89, a couple of TRS-80s, an Atari 1040st and a large variety of PC's and clones.

My first network was ArcNet, and I worked with Ethernet when it was a 1" cable.

I ran bulletin boards from 1979 until 1995, and I've been thinking about reviving one for the hell of it.

I used to be able to get a 300 baud modem to handshake by whistling.

Anything else?

Tachyon
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:38:07 PM EDT
[#23]
just a nerd, I mainly hack hardware audio systems.  I have been known to attempt to coding and I have gotten a few things working.  I have been learning to work OSX lately and I am giving up the MS world.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 2:16:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Well I fail to measure up to some of the other members here.  I am A+ Certified with 13 years experience in building and servicing computers systems as well as local area networks.  I would love to work in the field but my lack of a college degree limits my possibilites.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 10:43:45 AM EDT
[#25]
I build comps, only done two but I taught myself.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:02:56 AM EDT
[#26]
I also build computers, from cheapy ones under $300 to up to a fully modded gaming pc for $7000
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:56:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DiamondsTip] [#27]
I'm a 21 year old unix user. I started off with windows 95 when I was young going to chat rooms learning about malicious programs. I admit I did a lot of stuff that was illegal but at the time I did not know any better. When I was around 12 my father got me a copy of RedHat 5.0 I was still exploring malicious programs and so called hacking (we called it black hat) stuff. Anyways I matured from the nuking exploiting crap and moved onto programming. From redhat 5.0 Linux I moved to mandrake then to suse,debian and finaly slackware. Then when I was a tech admin on a large IRC network I started expieramenting with FreeBSD. I am now a OpenBSD user but I still keep a Slackware Linux system running and of course a windows pc. I learned to script and program by first writing my very own netfilter using iptables. Then I moved onto shell code, perl, ansi c etc etc. I've been a PC user almost all my life and I have been a unix user for 9 years. As far as hardware goes I do have one I built but I would rather order from a reputable company and get a good warranty incase SHTF.
Link Posted: 10/24/2005 11:12:03 AM EDT
[#28]
I did plenty of programming in college, enough to know I wouldn't want to do it for a living.  Got into PCs about 15 years ago as a hobby, but have kind of outgrown them since.  Did stints as a Netware admin, NT admin, Email admin, and earned and discarded a lot of certs along the way (anybody want to trade a cup of coffee for a Netware 3.x CNE? Anyone?)  

Been doing Cisco-centric networking for the past 8 years or so.  Currently working for a nationwide retailer managing a 3500-site rollout of DSL VPNs using Cisco's DMVPN architecture.
Link Posted: 11/3/2005 7:36:47 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm a unix admin/network engineer for a DOD R&D lab.  Mostly working with IPv6 and NTP.  
Link Posted: 11/23/2005 1:27:39 PM EDT
[#30]
IT Help Desk Manager..Well what can I say we have 3 people in the IT Dept here and we support over 200+ users all thorughout the state of VA. Th epay is ok and the commute isnt bad (15Min) I know Windows 98-2003, Hardware stuff, a little bit of everything really. Would like to get into networking like Cisco and stuff. I am currently looking for IT jobs in Arkansas. Bu toverall just kind of new a little about alot of things. Kind of have to in my job.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 11:49:18 PM EDT
[#31]

Started out curious about my brother's TRS-80 Color Computer.  Then my elementary school received its first computer, an Apple IIe.  Wheeled that sucker around on a cart, first just for teachers, then they started to let the kids play (educational) games on it as a bonus if we were good.

My first computer that was really mine was a TRS-80 Color Computer MC-10.  Borrowed my brother's DMP-100 printer and used that for lots of stuff, learning MS Basic programming along the way.  I've had many computers since then, some of which I've built from components.  

In college, I worked as a computer lab assistant in our division lab, which entailed lots of hardware and software troubleshooting, plus teaching faculty and students how to use scientific software and fancy new things like the Mosaic browser.  I "wasn't allowed" to touch the networking stuff, but figured it out anyway.

I took the intro programming course in college, which at the time was Turbo Pascal.  Yeah, that's been frickin' useful.  They wouldn't /let/ me take C.

I've done a little bit of computer maintenance and upgrade work on the side, but with the prevalance of stores with repair depots, there has been less and less demand for such work.

Since my graduate program has involved a lot of computational physics and large-scale image and data manipulation in GIS, I've kept up on basic hardware knowledge, but I'm not as fanatical about it as I once was.

Jim
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:24:26 PM EDT
[#32]
IT consultant for small businesses in the UK (for 15 years) - networking, PCs, firewalls, routers, Windows / Office etc. Also do a bit of ASP.Net programming on the side...

Nick
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:02:41 PM EDT
[#33]
I haven't the foggiest what the deal is with these blasted macines. I do run windows XP, at least I know that much.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:00:48 PM EDT
[#34]

Originally Posted By killingmachine123:
I haven't the foggiest what the deal is with these blasted macines. I do run windows XP, at least I know that much.

Same...... but learning..... I know enough to solve "small issues"- and know enough when I need to get help.  Haven't messed "under the hood" yet (hardware).  When the HD was going, I let the local Geek Squad handle it, same w/ putting more memory in.  I know it's simple, from what I've read, but I felt like having them do it.....

But I'm running an old machine...... it's was one of the first machines to ship w/ Windows XP Home.  Would that be like 2002.... can't recall when I got it.  It was one of the first AMD XP chips.... 1.4... works for what I use it for....all I have is dial up here.

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:54:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Hey all,

Figured I would go ahead and introduce myself. I am no computer expert, but I do build my own systems, overclock them, tweak here, tweak there.

Currently Im running a ASROCK Dual Sata2/939 board with a ULI M1695 northbridge. This board rocks. Its got a AMD 64 3000 which I dont have OCd at the moment because of some faulty RAM. I bought the mobo because of its upgrade options. It will last me a few years. Some guys have been using Opteron's on it, and have got it up to and over 3GHZ without frying anything.

Using Windows XP 64 bit edition. You either love x64 or you hate it, and I love it.......as of right now at least.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 9:20:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheStig] [#36]
Howdy,

Name's Matt, I'm 21, I've been a nerd ever since my motor skills developed enough to take expensive electronics apart. I currently work for a dedicated server hosting company as a network security engineer.

I monitor about 26 gigs of throughput for DDoS attacks, stop botnets/command and controls, administrate (read break) some very expensive security appliances from Cisco and 3Com, lay down the law of the AUP to our customers, harden operating systems, configure PIX and crapgear firewalls, surf...a lot, penetration testing, post-compromise forensics, other assorted menial tasks.

I have no certifications nor a degree (will change soon enough) and am always learning something new.

I dabble on the side with graphics/web design and programming (Perl, C/C++, some assembly 8086).
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:56:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Data Operations Engineer at a local Rural telephone company.    I am pretty much self taught (not really a classroom person, but a very fast hands on learner)  I play with Cisco routers and switches, Nortel ATM, Redback Service Gateways,  Alcatel, AFC, Adtran and Paradyne DSLAMs and Aggregators.        I started this after managing to survive five years of tech support.  
As far as PC stuff, I started messing around with it in 86 when we got our first pc (a roaring tandy 100)    I ran a linux box for the last five years but always had windoze on my main pc..  Recently I woke up and decided that I was going to force myself to use linux on my everyday home pc, so I did.  (yea I have VM ware installed to run a couple win32 apps that I dont want to give up)
I also just like to screw around with stuff,  I run a personal mail server a linux snmp server (cacti), also ran copper gig-e lan throughout the house, and have my own cisco lab that I used to get my CCNA, and a few other misc boxes setup that I just play around with.   Quite honestly I am more into playing with hardware than software,  writing a cool perl scrip isn't really my idea of a fun time.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:00:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Just got a job as the Director of Information Technology at a Start-up here in town. Started out in help-desk role for large company about 10 years go, the rest is history.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:53:35 PM EDT
[#39]
I know just enough about computers to get my self in trouble....
I build AR's & flintlocks(How's that for a combination!)
I'm off to post a question to people more knowledgable than me.
Hessian-1
Link Posted: 4/21/2006 1:27:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Curt1521] [#40]
I am the Technology Coordinator for a K-12 school district.
I have a BS in CIS, and I'm working on my MS in IA (Information Assurance)

I have extensive experiance in Server 2000 and 2003, and some in NT. Also in Win 95/95/2000/XP. I work alot with Active Directory, Group Policies, etc...
I've also studied for the Security+, A+ and Server+, just never taken the tests.
It's always tough to stay 1 step ahead of all these damn kids (3000 of them)
Link Posted: 4/21/2006 9:47:08 PM EDT
[#41]
16 Years of Telecommunications Maintenance and Design Work
Self-taught Sys Admin & Network Engineer
Primarily WAN & LAN Infrastructure
Sys Admin & IA Instructor in the Navy Reserves
Link Posted: 5/21/2006 12:24:11 AM EDT
[#42]
Aircraft Engineering degree with minor in math. Have been working with computers for about 14 years. Have worked as a programmer, sysadmin, dba. Programmed in C/C++,Java. Done web developement in ASP and J2EE.

Currently working as a senior dba and systems architect taking care of more than a few sql servers housing 7TB of data.

Link Posted: 7/9/2006 12:49:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MagKnightX] [#43]
I'm relatively skilled in Windows XP, did a short beta of Vista (but not very technical), and am currently learning SuSE. I've built a computer and upgraded a couple, including a laptop. I have a strong desire to build at least two more this year if I can get the money, a DVR/Home Theater PC running HDTV to a projector and a screaming-fast gaming rig (possibly including 2 dual-core AMD Opteron procs, and hopefully including quad-SLI if/when the drivers are publically released).

I'd like to start a small business while I'm in college, building custom computers, but I don't know if that'd get any business.

I'm about to start my first semester at Virginia Commonwealth under an undeclared major. I'm currently planning on getting a degree in Bio or Org Chem with the pre-med necessities and going into medicine, but I'm also heavily thinking about comp sci (if I do that, I might transfer in a couple semesters). Like, really heavily thinking about it. I took a year-long class in HS on Java programming, and loved it. I love playing around with components and building PCs. I, to put it simply, love computers.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 2:14:12 PM EDT
[#44]
I am a compouter enthusiast.  I am decent with html.  No my way around javascript witha little bit of perl, python, SQL, thrown in their.  I like to play around with them and see what happens when you run random lines of code.  Try to break into my other systems for fun.  I like a little bit of everything and I am great at none of it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2006 12:53:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Parabellium] [#45]
I'm self taught, And I have been building computers, setting up networks, and in home tech support for the last several years, right now im in school to move beyond that.

I have been a overclocker for a long time and over time I have burned up many parts, but It has helped me to become very good at diagnosing problems, and I learned not to buy cheap memory and airflow is your friend.

Before that I fixed cars and I found I can apply the rules of diagnosing to computers with great sucess and a bigger paycheck.
Link Posted: 9/17/2006 9:50:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pdg45acp] [#46]
Started out in 1970 as a Field Service Engineer on the NCR Century Series Mainframe Computers.

Retired at 55 in 2004 out of the old GM parts divisions Informations Systems Group with an outdated NT4 MCSE and a BS in Information Systems from IU.

I build my own and fix other people's..
Link Posted: 10/4/2006 8:15:30 PM EDT
[#47]
I'm a Unix/Win 2k3/As400 sysadmin

started with mac's, went over to WFWG and then nt4.0, then picked up HP/UX and linux, and am now learning as400 while maintaining our windows and linux environments.

I do a bit of webwork and phone stuff (nortel switching)

Link Posted: 11/1/2006 4:09:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: daveisadork] [#48]
Linux and Win2k for a door/frame/hardware distributer here... I've been trying to get into Solaris, but apparently I'm not smart enough (yet) to make it do what I want.
Link Posted: 11/15/2006 2:59:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Checking in. Just got back from Iraq, ran an ISP on Abu Ghraib that provided access for about 900 people. Got a background in Linux/Solaris server administration, got dropped into the network job since I was the only one available. Wrote the billing/authentication/management software for the AAFES subcontractor that runs the entire VBC's net access, by myself, in three days. Fun times.
Link Posted: 11/18/2006 12:10:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: david_g17] [#50]
I have a Computer Science degree, a love for open source (BSD more than GPL licensed code), and i write code for 8 - 10 hours per day.

I've built a few computers, and manage a red hat server at work and an OpenBSD server at home.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top