Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/29/2012 7:26:34 AM EDT
I just now got in to rainmeter and like it so far, but my setup is 100% barebones "I have no fkn idea how this works yet."  Curious to see what some other rainmeter users are working with and maybe get some ideas for mine.
Right now I'm just using the Enigma theme with two sidebars with the skins I felt I needed and added a third-party weather skin that looked better than the one Enigma came with.  I'm also still using RocketDock until I can figure out a rainmeter equivalent since I like having all my application icons on my desktop but in tool-bar form(like the pre-vista/7 movable quicklaunch that Microsoft decided wasn't necessary anymore).  I also incorporated some other skins/modules from the other two complete themes available from the rainmeter homepage.  Being able to mix-n-match really makes this awesome.
My desktop(Right Click > Copy Image Location > Past in URL bar to view full size image)-

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 7:48:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Never heard of it but it looks pretty cool.  I think I'm going to try it on a VM before I install on my desktop though.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 7:57:11 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Never heard of it but it looks pretty cool.  I think I'm going to try it on a VM before I install on my desktop though.

It doesn't make any changes to your current desktop layout.  The only problem you will really run in to is it placing the bars/skins over or under stuff you had before.

I did some homework before trying it out and it is a reputable software.  Just gotta be careful where you fetch skins/themes from because they are offered in unofficial places and might contain malicious files.  The rainmeter website lists legit places to get skins/themes.

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 1:24:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Funny that it's still around.  I remember using it in XP a long time ago.  I liked it alright, but it was fairly basic back then.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 1:29:56 PM EDT
[#4]
It's fairly advanced now and the customization is endless.  I'm still dicking around with my theme trying to make it look all badass.  I updated the screenshot in my first post.

The only thing that sucks so far is that Windows was putting new icons(downloads, send to desktop as shortcut, etc) under the left sidebar.  The only way I could figure out how to stop that was either name a shitload of folders with alt+255 and replace the icon with a transparent one which would take a lot of fuckin' time, or use Stardock Fences which for the most part does what I need it to do.

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 6:06:45 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

It's fairly advanced now and the customization is endless.  I'm still dicking around with my theme trying to make it look all badass.  I updated the screenshot in my first post.

The only thing that sucks so far is that Windows was putting new icons(downloads, send to desktop as shortcut, etc) under the left sidebar.  The only way I could figure out how to stop that was either name a shitload of folders with alt+255 and replace the icon with a transparent one which would take a lot of fuckin' time, or use Stardock Fences which for the most part does what I need it to do.

I quit playing with this stuff years ago, I prefer to use my RAM and CPU cycles for useful stuff.

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 6:08:14 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I quit playing with this stuff years ago, I prefer to use my RAM and CPU cycles for useful stuff.

I've got plenty of that to burn so a little eye-candy won't hurt anything.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top