Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/6/2007 8:24:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Striker]
Link Posted: 7/6/2007 6:53:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Here are a couple quick ones I know sometimes cause issues:

1. If the tool you're using is a crosshair instead of the actual tool cursor, chances are caps lock is on.

2. If your photo looks like it's displaying poorly on screen, check the zoom. Photoshop displays best in the  1/4, 1/2, 1/8 zoom levels, etc. Ie, It will look good at 100%, 50%, 25%, 12.5% etc, but poor at 33%, 66%. Maybe someone can explain that more clearly than I can.

Link Posted: 7/10/2007 3:19:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Striker] [#2]
Link Posted: 7/10/2007 3:24:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/10/2007 3:25:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 9:29:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 8:38:45 PM EDT
[#6]
At last count there were roughly 100,342 ways to convert a shot to B&W.

My personal fave is to add a Channel Mixer layer to the image & select the Monochrome check box in the corner.

Then, you have R, G, & B filters that will work very much like the ones you used to use on your lenses when you shot B&W film.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 1:38:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Always work in layers
Link Posted: 10/23/2007 4:33:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Teach me how to make a decent watermark please.  I will have CS2 soon, and I have Elements 5 now.

Mark.

Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:43:41 PM EDT
[#9]

Originally Posted By M-60:
Teach me how to make a decent watermark please.  I will have CS2 soon, and I have Elements 5 now.

Mark.

I'd like to know how to do this as well.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 11:35:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: gengomerpyle] [#10]
www.russellbrown.com/tips_tech.html just over half way down the page. Digital Watermark Branding. You can d/l the movie.
Link Posted: 12/19/2007 12:29:38 AM EDT
[#11]

Originally Posted By kingston_fisher:

Originally Posted By M-60:

Mark.

I'd like to know how to do this as well.

I'm a self taught PSer but I'd imagine the easiest thing to do would be to create a layer with your water mark, image or text, and then right click on the layer in the layer selector box, go to blending options and then change the opacity of the watermark. Somewhere around 25% ought to do it, depends on the color and location of the part of the photo where you want the watermark to be.  
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 5:48:37 PM EDT
[#12]
I just discovered that in CS3 you can use Adobe Bridge to edit JPEGs and TIFFs in Camera Raw!

Control-click (if on a Mac) the image in Bridge, and select "Edit in Camera Raw".

A whole new group of controls is available to you now. Great noise suppression too.
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 12:06:10 AM EDT
[#13]

Originally Posted By macman37:
I just discovered that in CS3 you can use Adobe Bridge to edit JPEGs and TIFFs in Camera Raw!

Control-click (if on a Mac) the image in Bridge, and select "Edit in Camera Raw".

A whole new group of controls is available to you now. Great noise suppression too.

Doing that right now

Seriously, if you have CS3 and don't use Bridge, give it a try. I get a LOT of utility out of it as far as viewing and sorting photos. Also, the new Camera Raw options are very useful.

Also, try the Adobe Media Gallery add-on for it. It's a bit touchy, but it does some pretty nice flash galleries. And one more tip in regards to that... if you want to export a proof for the Web, try using Zoomify from the export menu within Photoshop. It creates a flash page of the image that's good for proofing on the Web.
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 2:26:41 PM EDT
[#14]

Originally Posted By TempExp:
2. If your photo looks like it's displaying poorly on screen, check the zoom. Photoshop displays best in the  1/4, 1/2, 1/8 zoom levels, etc. Ie, It will look good at 100%, 50%, 25%, 12.5% etc, but poor at 33%, 66%. Maybe someone can explain that more clearly than I can.

probably easier to interpolate a whole pixel than part of one.

a shrink by 1/2 is just remove every other pixel, where as a shrink by 1/3 is remove 1/2 then remove the the 1/6 and then try to fill in the rough spots with a mathmatical guess as to what color go in the hole.
Link Posted: 8/11/2008 7:40:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 5:25:37 PM EDT
[#16]
I know a lot of people love making lolcat pics, or PWNED pics, so a few TEXT tips:

shortcut key for the Text tool: T

When you want to change something about the text, go into the text tool and Highlight the text.  See how it reverses all of the colors, so you can't see the exact color you're changing the text to?  Press CTRL+H to make the Highlight reverse itself. It looks like you deselected the text, but your changes will still take.

Speaking of changes, when you have highlighted text, increase the font size by holding CTRL+SHIFT and tapping the > key.  Make it smaller by holding CTRL+SHIFT and tapping the < key.

When you have something selected via any tool (magic want, marquee, etc), you can press CTRL+D to deselect it.

It was said before, but always work in layers.  My favorite layers tips:
When you have a selection you want to make a new layer, you can use CTRL+J to copy the selection onto a new layer.
You can use CTRL+SHIFT+J to CUT the selection onto a new layer.

Fill:
To fill a layer with the foreground color, press ALT+BACKSPACE.
To fill a layer with the background color, press CTRL+BACKSPACE.

Your cursor will turn into the Hand tool if you hold the SPACEBAR.  This allows you to move around in the document when zoomed in by dragging in any direction.  Don't confuse this with the MOVE tool (shortcut V) which moves the active layer by dragging
Link Posted: 12/4/2009 9:38:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By NimmerMehr:
Originally Posted By TempExp:

probably easier to interpolate a whole pixel than part of one.

a shrink by 1/2 is just remove every other pixel, where as a shrink by 1/3 is remove 1/2 then remove the the 1/6 and then try to fill in the rough spots with a mathmatical guess as to what color go in the hole.

on a PC,
ctrl + = zooms in, ctrl - = zooms out. ^0 = fit to screen.
Almost all commands that I do on a PC, I use keystrokes vs the mouse.

^ P = proint
^ S = save, ^ / shift / S = save as.
^ Z = delete last edit, ^ / alt/ Z = delete prior edits up to set amount
F7 = layers on / off

you get the idea.
much easier than finding the mouse, finding the cursor, navigating to the command bar, navigating the menus, then going back to what you were doing. If yoou did an oops and need to undo, you gotta go through the whole mouse / menu hassle again. ^ Z it. When you memorize the keystrokes, you will fly though multiple commands in seconds!! Not only that, but if you are in a crop function, or some other edit, you can't zoom using the Z command. But you can using the above example.

Link Posted: 4/18/2010 4:30:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Might also suggest that working with the rubber band feature considerably simplifies working with the pen tool.  Select the pen tool then go to the tool bar at the top, click on the blue pulldown, select rubber band.  Allows you to see bend and curves far  better.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 7:51:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Take it from a Graphic Designer

Learn the pen tool. It truly is mightier than the sword. For higher quality selecting and superimposing images it will give you greater results.

Whenever I had questions or trouble doing something I would just do a tutorial that involved my problem. A great site for this is http://www.tutorialized.com/
Link Posted: 10/12/2011 12:39:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/12/2011 12:52:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By mfingar:
Take an art class.

The best tools in the world can't help you, if you don't have an eye for composition.

Very true.

Even a basic image can fall flat without the application of the correct composition.

I had to help the OP once when he was learning to frame his photographs properly.

You can only imagine how much it sucked prior to my assistance.

TRG
Link Posted: 7/17/2012 1:21:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Not so much a tip as a suggestion:  don't get too carried away with the "saturation" slider, it really is very easy to overdo and while you'll certainly get plenty of oooh's and aaah's due to how wet-paint colorful things are, it's really quite amateur looking.
Link Posted: 5/18/2013 11:03:01 PM EDT
[#23]
The more effort you put into setting up the shot before pressing the shutter button means the less time you'll spend in Photoshop trying to fix all the things you dorked up.

Have a reason for taking each and every photo. Don't fall into the "take 1000 pics to get 1 good one".

Stick to the KISS method. The more complex you make it the longer you'll spend trying to make it work.

Stand on the shoulder of giants... find photos you really like and try to reproduce them down to the smallest detail. You'll learn a lot doing this.

Link Posted: 9/25/2013 1:45:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By macman37:

View Quote

Non Mac user have an option????
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 12:27:52 AM EDT
[#25]
When you are zoomed in on and image and need to scroll up, down, left or right, hold down the space bar and your pointer becomes a little hand - you can left click and drag the "canvas" up, down, left or right. This can be incredibly useful when you are in the middle of a selection and can't use the scroll bars.
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 12:34:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Fingersoup] [#26]
When using the circle or square marquee selection tool - you can hold down shift after you have started clicking and dragging and it will make a perfect square or circle. I.e it will keep it constrained so that all sides will be equal.

When using the circle or square marquee selection tool - after you have drawn your selection you can subtract from it by holding down alt (the marquee tool has a "-" appear over it when you hold down alt.) or you can add to the selection by holding down shift (the marquee tool has a "+" appear over it when you hold down shift.)

If you want to intersect with the selection, hold down alt and shift - your marquee tool with have an X appear on it.

While making a selection with your marquee tool, keep the left mouse button held down and hold down the space bar simultaneously, you are now able to move the box or circle that you are in the process of "drawing"/clicking and dragging.
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 12:59:53 AM EDT
[#27]
If you ever start out with an image that was scanned in crooked and you need it perfectly straight before you start to work on it..

you simply click on your ruler tool and draw a line from the one corner of the photo to the other like this

then click - image -> image rotation -> arbitrary ..... when the window pops up simply click OK

and it automatically figures out how much the images is off from perfect 90 degrees based on the line you drew with the measuring tool and straightens it by that amount..

result:
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 9:29:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Photoshop imports even 14bit RAW files as 8bit for editing by default, so it's best to change it.  When you open a file look at the name in the tab and the bit depth is after the asterisk.  *8/*16

Preferences -> file handling -> file compatibility/Camera Raw Preferences ->Depth  choose 16bit
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 10:10:14 AM EDT
[#29]
While not as powerful, GIMP is easier to use than Photoshop.

For newbies that would like to play along in the Photoshop threads here, GIMP is good enough.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 11:02:59 AM EDT
[#30]

Artstudio Pro on the iphone

erasing with a touch screen is sublime
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 12:29:49 PM EDT
[#31]
How To Add Copyright To Image In Photoshop 2021 | Tutorial | Easy Trick
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top