Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2017 4:12:45 PM EDT
So I know we've talked about camera bags before, but how do you guys keep your gear stored when  you aren't hauling it?  

Personally, I have my stuff divided into 4 'bags.'  One (Lowepro) has the camera, lenses, commonly used cleaning gear, etc.  The others are (1) extra cleaning, batteries/chargers, and misc accessories, (2) flash modifiers and equipment, (3) light stands and umbrellas.

Mind you, I paid significantly less than retail price on my ones, but the Allen fishing gear bags work fantastic for photography stuff.  Water resistant fabric and compartments, heavily padded, set up with dividers out of the box, and super easy to just grab and toss in the truck.  My main two main bags are an older version of the (new one linked) Allen Reel & Gear case, with the Cottonwood Rod and Gear bag being perfect for light stands, umbrellas, and misc stuff.  Not bad considering I have probably $50 on all of it.   The Cottonwood will fit standard size light stands with a bit of clearance, so I managed to squeeze 3 light stands plus umbrellas and other goodies into it.

They make a smaller one for $17, but for half the size and 2/3 the price, why not just get the big one?

Amazon Product
  • Accommodates up to 10 fly reels or 6 spinning reels
  • 8 adjustable interior dividers
  • Heavy-duty molded zippers, adjustable shoulder strap

Amazon Product
  • Fits up to four 4-piece 9.5' rods
  • Eight exterior adjustable dividers for rod, reels, and gear
  • Multiple interior see-through zippered pockets

Amazon Product
  • Holds up to 4 fly reels
  • 3 adjustable interior dividers
  • High vis lining to help you find your gear

Link Posted: 7/19/2017 4:44:39 PM EDT
[#1]
And yes, I'll post photos of how my stuff is set up later today.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 5:21:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for posting this.

Not into cameras, but the links above show some bags that would be great to pack AR pistols for road trips.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 10:19:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for posting that...I'd like to see how you have it all organized.

I like to take my camera with me in my side by side, but it's usually pretty dusty and jarring so it would be nice not to have to wrap everything in a trash bag so it doesn't get covered in dirt.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 2:32:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for posting that...I'd like to see how you have it all organized.

I like to take my camera with me in my side by side, but it's usually pretty dusty and jarring so it would be nice not to have to wrap everything in a trash bag so it doesn't get covered in dirt.
View Quote
No problem, and I'll try to get photos taken here in a bit.  Completely spaced it yesterday so it's on my list for in a few. 
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 5:50:30 PM EDT
[#5]
So here are the cases in order.  I did purposely leave some pockets empty, that way if I need to stash something or grab <whatever> from another case, I can do it without rearranging stuff.  I also picked up some cheap aluminum luggage tags from Amazon to put labels on them.  Figure $8/8 isn't bad.

-Light stand case with a closeup of how I have them and the umbrellas secured

-Flash modifier case with extra batteries and charger in the zip top, and user manuals and lens wipes in the flip top compartments.  I'd like to organize it a bit better, but since the modifiers are so bulky, it's easier to just keep them boxed up for now.  Once I get rid of some umbrellas and other stuff, I'll likely put them in with the light stands.  Granted that'll also depend on if I'm going to Bowens mount full size softboxes, etc as well.  But for now it works great.

-Misc case with a bit of everything.  Extra battery adapters, video lights, pocket tripod, lens pouches, cleaning gear, sensor loupe, etc.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 4:38:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Wowzers.

On the topic of bags, I need a small soft case for my backup camera. No lenses needed in the bag (I can use my Full Frame lenses on the crop camera)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KT7GKCQ?tag=vglnk-c102-20

I have that for the camera / lenses... just need a smaller one for the backup.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 4:48:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Wowzers.

On the topic of bags, I need a small soft case for my backup camera. No lenses needed in the bag (I can use my Full Frame lenses on the crop camera)

https://www.amazon.com/Tenba-BYOB-Camera-Insert-636-221/dp/B00KT7GKCQ?tag=vglnk-c102-20

View Quote
Why not get one of those fleece lined neoprene lens bags?  You can get 3-4 for $15 in different sizes.  I have the 3 pack of these, and they'll hold everything except my wide angles without issue.  Probably 1/4" of neoprene with fleece inside. Small enough that you can stick it in your main bag without issue, or (if needed) clip it to the outside.

That or, depending on the size of the mirrorless, grab something like this admin pouch.

Amazon Product
  • Keep your lenses of all sizes safe in these soft neoprene pouches.
  • Belt loops & quick clips allow you to attach your lens pouches wherever you see fit. Thick neoprene guarantees protection against harsh weather conditions and accidental bumps or scratches.
  • Compatible with lenses from Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Fuji, Pentax, Panasonic, Sony, Leica, Sigma, Tamron, Vivitar, Minolta, Mamiya, Yashica,,Kodak, Konica, Hasselblad, Ricoh, Zeiss & Lensbaby.

Amazon Product
  • Multi Purpose Pouch:could be used as a small military tactical waist bag, gadget pouch or utility belt pouch .Can be added on your tactical gears, you can easily use this bag as a molle waist pouch, belt pouch, backpack addition pouch molle vest add pouch and so on
  • Wide application:Ideal for storing your cell phone (up to 6" screen size), keychain, GPS device, digital camera, medical supplies, small tools, or everything else readily needed
  • Two zippered compartments, exterior phone pocket(fits iPhone6 plus), exterior pen sheath

Link Posted: 7/21/2017 4:52:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Why not get one of those fleece lined neoprene lens bags?  You can get 3-4 for $15 in different sizes.  I have the 3 pack of these, and they'll hold everything except my wide angles without issue.  Probably 1/4" of neoprene with fleece inside. Small enough that you can stick it in your main bag without issue, or (if needed) clip it to the outside.

www.amazon.com/dp/B017R08JYYhttps://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41IH62imp8L.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wowzers.

https://www.amazon.com/Tenba-BYOB-Camera-Insert-636-221/dp/B00KT7GKCQ?tag=vglnk-c102-20

www.amazon.com/dp/B017R08JYYhttps://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41IH62imp8L.jpg
I can't fit the FF, Crop and 2 lenses in the main bag.

I would rather keep the FF cam and 2 lenses together, and the crop in a separate (smaller) bag as the backup.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 4:54:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I would rather keep the FF cam and 2 lenses together, and the crop in a separate (smaller) bag as the backup.
View Quote
Ah okay.  What camera is it?  I'll see what I can dig up.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 4:56:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Canon 80D
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 5:04:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Canon 80D
View Quote
no freaking idea why I thought you had a mirrorless, so those ideas wouldn't have worked anyhow.  Lemme see what I can figure out.

Honestly, for the price I'd just consider the little $17 Allen soft case.  Figure the 80D is 5.5 x 4.1 x 3.1 in. and the bag is 8.25x5x3.75in internally.  Could hold it in place with one or two of the foam dividers (one on top, one on the other side, and give yourself a touch of storage plus what's in the lid.  

But I am biased as these are padded as hell.  Minimum of a half inch of closed cell foam padding on the sizes, with closer to .33" on the top and bottom.  If it's a worry,  you can sandwich the camera with the 1/4" foam dividers.  That said, I'll keep looking but I don't think I'll find that much padding for less than $20.

Amazon Product
  • Holds up to 4 fly reels
  • 3 adjustable interior dividers
  • High vis lining to help you find your gear

Link Posted: 7/21/2017 5:30:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Not really finding much on inexpensive and fitting the camera.  The only really other idea I'd have would be one of the EVA cases.

This guy is designed for a video monitor but has foam you can cut and is 9.4x7.4x3.5" externally, so it should fit the camera with a little extra padding on the sides.  $15.  Pretty sure it's the same case my flash came in

Amazon Product
  • EVA Monitor Storage Carrying Case designed for NW759/760 Feelworld FW759/760 and other 7inch monitor
  • Hard EVA outer shell, Water Repellent;Shockproof dustproof and water resistance, comes with handstrap
  • Built-in Mesh zippered pocket, Holding Belt and Zippered Closure provide all-around protection

Link Posted: 7/21/2017 7:06:40 PM EDT
[#13]
That Allen case seems like it would work.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 9:12:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
That Allen case seems like it would work.

Thanks.
View Quote
 Honestly, those Allen cases are awesome for the money.  It's why I have so many of them. 
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 12:10:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Gets here Tuesday.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top