Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/15/2017 8:25:25 PM EDT
Every now and again, Petapixel will have an awesome article.  Stuff like this is more common on DIY Photography, but both have good points.  Anyhow. 

Shooting film is fun and developing film is fun, but tediously scanning film is not fun… so I built myself a film-digitizing light box to be used with a flash and a 1:1 macro lens.

I’m a home-developer because I’m cheap and impatient, and I don’t have a loupe, so I’ve always scanned in every frame from a roll of film, which is extremely tedious when that takes several minutes per frame. If you develop at home, or if your lab can leave your film reel intact, this is a good solution to digitize your film reel, and you can easily finish a roll of film in 15 minutes.

Link Posted: 7/15/2017 9:18:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Very interesting...

Would it make any sense to hold and advance the negative film in another camera's film back???

Add a light source on the lens side and photograph from the camera back side.

Maybe use the auto film advance function to speed things up?

Hope this makes sense...
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 9:21:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Very interesting...

Would it make any sense to hold and advance the negative in another camera's film back???

Hope this makes sense...
View Quote
You wouldn't get any light through the shutter.  Now if it was just the winder/feeding assembly, that could work.  I figure opening up an old camera to gut it to remove the shutter would be a bastard. 
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 9:26:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

You wouldn't get any light through the shutter.  Now if it was just the winder/feeding assembly, that could work.  I figure opening up an old camera to gut it to remove the shutter would be a bastard. 
View Quote
The shutter would be removed, 'surgically' by thinking outside the box....

Having played with some SLR's ---effectively removing the shutter would be trivial...
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 9:38:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Having played with some SLR's ---effectively removing the shutter would be trivial...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then yeah, with the shutter gone and no lens mounted, I can't see why that wouldn't work.  Might need some tinkering, but seems like it would at least.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 9:56:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I know someone who made a slide copier, that is similar to the this project, and got very good results.  

Nikon actually makes a slide/film copying adapter, called the ES-1.  It's designed to be used with the 60mm Micro lens, or 55mm Micro lens.  But people have used it with other lenses, too.  The reviews are very good. Street price is about $60.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 11:34:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 9:35:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Very interesting...

Would it make any sense to hold and advance the negative film in another camera's film back???

Add a light source on the lens side and photograph from the camera back side.

Maybe use the auto film advance function to speed things up?

Hope this makes sense...
View Quote
That's what I'm doing right now with an old Minolta with a torn shutter.  Project is in hold because I spent the weekend designing and building a workbench, but not that that is done, in to the digitizer.

I looked into scanning, but I really want RAW capability with converting film.  I'm also planning on trying a variation of the brenizer method to increase resolution.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 1:39:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That's what I'm doing right now with an old Minolta with a torn shutter.  Project is in hold because I spent the weekend designing and building a workbench, but not that that is done, in to the digitizer.

I looked into scanning, but I really want RAW capability with converting film.  I'm also planning on trying a variation of the brenizer method to increase resolution.
View Quote
Very interested in seeing more abt it...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top