Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/13/2017 10:46:13 AM EDT
As some of you may have remembered, I was excited for the new Canon 6D MK II.  Well, there are been some preliminary reports coming out showing the Dynamic Raw is worse off than the original 6D.

Link to report

DPreview Thread is blowing up

Considering my primary focus on photography is landscapes, DR is very important.

I went to B&H Photo in NYC yesterday to check out a few lenses and the 5D MK IV. I found the IV to be easy to use, but a bit heavy. The price difference between the MK II and IV is about $1000.  However, buying the IV w/ 24-70 combo saves about $150 to $200 than buying the lens separately.  Can I afford the extra?  Yes. However, do I need the extra features of the IV?  (I don't need the dual cards or 4k)

Generally I would just cancel my pre order for the MK II and wait for reviews. But, unfortunately I am leaving on vacation mid August and I need one of the cameras.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 11:04:15 AM EDT
[#1]
What camera do you use now?  The mk iv is a great camera. It is one of the best digital cameras ever produced. There are a few other cameras that have higher dr or lower noise. But overall it is a phenomenal camera. If you are already a canon user the only negative is the high price.

The touchscreen and wifi are implemented very well. With the wifi i can take a picture on the camera with my phone, download it, and text it to someone in 10 seconds. The downloads are downsized jpegs but still usefull. I like to edit them in lightroom mobile. Then when i get back to a computer and dowload the raw files i can cut and paste the settings from the jpeg and 80 percent of the work is done.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 11:05:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Currently I use the 80D.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 11:07:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Cancel your order, and wait for reviews.  Rent a camera for your vacation.

The new camera will probably be fine, but good reviews will give you peace of mind.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 11:11:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cancel your order, and wait for reviews.  Rent a camera for your vacation.

The new camera will probably be fine, but good reviews will give you peace of mind.
View Quote
I looked into that. A 12 day rental would run me about $300 for a MK IV. Not including the lenses I would need.

The 6D would run about $200ish?
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 11:16:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Is the 80d holding you back at all? I'm all for buying new toys either way.

I read a lot of articles on this site. Much of it is way over my head. What stood out is that most of his astro photos were taken with a 7d mk ii. They are incredible pictures. He goes into a lot of detail why the 7d mk ii works so well. What stood out to me is most of the higher end cameras now like d810, a7rii, 5d mk iv, etc have all around better performance than the 7d mk ii. At this point unless you are really pushing the very limits the camera wont be the problem. Even then there are simple software solutions.

For example if you want more dynamic range combine multiple exposures or use hdr. If you want more resolution use a mosaic or panorama. You can match or exceed a medium format camera with a mosaic.

http://www.clarkvision.com/articles/
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 11:33:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Well I can tell you this. I bought my 5d mark iv about three weeks ago now and absolutely love it. The weight hasn't been an issue for me on the beach trails I have been on. I came from a 7d mk2. Like you I do primarily landscapes. If you are serious about photography and aren't just getting it for you trip I personally would get the 5d over the 6d. If you're getting this solely for your trip then rent one.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 11:48:45 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a Mark IV, I also have a Mark III, 7Dmk2 and a 6D
The Mark IV is heads and tails above the other bodies....I LOVE it
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 1:17:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Is the 80d holding you back at all? I'm all for buying new toys either way.

I read a lot of articles on this site. Much of it is way over my head. What stood out is that most of his astro photos were taken with a 7d mk ii. They are incredible pictures. He goes into a lot of detail why the 7d mk ii works so well. What stood out to me is most of the higher end cameras now like d810, a7rii, 5d mk iv, etc have all around better performance than the 7d mk ii. At this point unless you are really pushing the very limits the camera wont be the problem. Even then there are simple software solutions.

For example if you want more dynamic range combine multiple exposures or use hdr. If you want more resolution use a mosaic or panorama. You can match or exceed a medium format camera with a mosaic.

http://www.clarkvision.com/articles/
View Quote
I like the 80D, but its a crop sensor and it'll be good as a backup for my FF lenses.

I found some of my photos kind of lacking because the lenses werent sharp.  I also didnt want to start investing in crop lenses cause I was gonna upgrade to a full frame eventually.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 3:10:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Why not split the difference and get the 5D MIII.  You can't go wrong with that camera.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 3:53:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Why not split the difference and get the 5D MIII.  You can't go wrong with that camera.
View Quote
The 6D would actually be a better choice for me in comparison.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 11:26:26 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm new to photography but i have done a lot of research. I would agree on the 6d over the mk iii. The mk iv is much better, not at the level of d810 or Sony but it is a great camera.

I have a 7d mk ii and the huge difference i can see is there is almost no chorma noise. Its all luminace.

I just got into this a year ago and my feeling is that is the golden age for digital cameras. They are all very good. Add things like adobe creative cloud for $10 a month and you can't go wrong.

As to your comment about sharpness. It is relative. The new efs lenses are pretty increbile. I think having your lenses calibrated is a much bigger deal. I sent back a 24-105 is ii l and sent back my 7d mk ii. My 24-105 was back focusing and its perfect now. I have the original 35l. Its focus varies on distance.  I cant mfa to get it perfect. But it's all relative. It is only now with pixel peeping that you see the differnece.

If you are invested in canon nothing better is coming. Maybe an updated 7d the next year or an updated 5d after that. I am very curious to see the nikon 820 and what sony has to offer. I really think the future is going to be wifi integration  (raw dowloads to phones integrated with adobe nimbus etc). Most of the pro cameras dont really hold photographers back. It's all metrics, which do matter but it's relative. It's like comparing a larue to a colt.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 1:55:22 PM EDT
[#12]
This is what I am going to do...

I have 15 days to return the camera after I received it. I am assuming by then a few reviews would have been released. If the camera turns out to be a flop, I will send the camera back for a full refund and then purchase the 5D MK IV. (I won't open the camera, just leave it in the box till I know what the quality is)

Should give me about 2 weeks to learn the IV. Coming from the 80D, it is a bit different but not that bad.

Wish me luck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top