Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/6/2017 12:29:49 AM EDT
Due to the current brouhaha wrt photobucket, I've seen a lot of people announce a jump to imgur.

I wonder how many have taken the time to read the TOS?

http://imgur.com/tos

People who produce their own content and might be concerned about its use might want to read the section titled "Intellectual Property".

Just a snippet - "...With regard to any file or content you upload to the public portions of our site, you grant Imgur a non-exclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable worldwide license (with sublicense and assignment rights) to use, to display online and in any present or future media, to create derivative works of, to allow downloads of, and/or distribute any such file or content. To the extent that you delete any such file or content from the public portions of our site, the license you grant to Imgur pursuant to the preceding sentence will automatically terminate, but will not be revoked with respect to any file or content Imgur has already copied and sublicensed or designated for sublicense..."

As with other "free" services on the web, it is offered as a free service because you and the info they can use/ collect and market/ sell are the product commodity.

I've been using PBase for years.  It's not too expensive, but over the years it has had problems with service interruptions and a lack of communication from the owners.  I've started looking elsewhere, and am currently looking at SmugMug and Zenfolio.

So... what are others here doing for web hosting of their images?

edited to fix screwy formatting and other stuff
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 4:38:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Flickr Pro has been my goto for a long time.  Not sure how much longer now that Verizon owned it, but we'll see how that shakes out.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 10:35:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I've been using PBase for years. 
View Quote

Same here.  Any problems I've encountered were relatively minor (interrupted service, etc.), and were corrected within a day or so.  Overall, I'm happy with it, and will stay there unless something "catastrophic" happens.  

Can't remember the details, but it seems like SmugMug (or maybe it was Zenfolio?) had some issues not too long ago.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 11:06:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Flickr Pro has been my goto for a long time.  Not sure how much longer now that Verizon owned it, but we'll see how that shakes out.
View Quote
I had a yahoo email from back when they started, and a flickr account from when they started.  Until last year.  After one of the breaches was announced in the media, I tried to do a update of password and security settings.  They asked for info that hadn't been required at my previous regular update, and locked my account.  After multiple emails back and forth they finally agreed to close my accounts.  They never let me back into them.  Doubt that I'll go back to flickr.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 11:15:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Same here.  Any problems I've encountered were relatively minor (interrupted service, etc.), and were corrected within a day or so.  Overall, I'm happy with it, and will stay there unless something "catastrophic" happens.  

Can't remember the details, but it seems like SmugMug (or maybe it was Zenfolio?) had some issues not too long ago.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've been using PBase for years. 

I've happy with it, overall, and haven't felt the need for an immediate change.  But the service interruptions seem to affect users differently depending on the problem.  I've had multiple-week periods of time where images wouldn't show or link, and we might get a "yeah, we're working on it" response at some point, and eventually things work again.  The Pentax K-1 has been on the street for over a year, and some of us have been using it for 12 months or more, and it is still not in the list of cameras, even after multiple requests.  Others have complained of the same thing.  There are other issues and complaints in the forums that remain unanswered.  It's almost as if the site has been put on autopilot and the owners only do something when things go wrong.  Not an immediate huge deal, but it makes me wonder about continued long-term operation of the site.

Hadn't heard of issues at the other two, I'll have to see if I can find the info.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 11:23:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Hadn't heard of issues at the other two, I'll have to see if I can find the info.
View Quote
Seems like I read about it over on the Cafe.  Or maybe I'm just losing my mind.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 11:27:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Seems like I read about it over on the Cafe.  Or maybe I'm just losing my mind.
View Quote
Probably not, I don't spend as much time there since my Nikon stuff is gone.  I'm going to go do some reading. 
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 1:16:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've started looking elsewhere, and am currently looking at SmugMug and Zenfolio.

So... what are others here doing for web hosting of their images?
View Quote
My photo web site is hosted at SmugMug (currently a Power plan account). They've been flawless for me for the past ~3 years. Even their basic plan ($48/yr) is reasonable considering they allow unlimited photo uploads (including raw files). I use this site for my main storage/sharing host.

FWIW, I also have a free Flickr account mainly for another avenue of exposure. (ha!)

I stopped using Photobucket (paid account) years before the most recent wave of anger/frustration. SmugMug offers better service for less money (at least that was the case when I left PhotoBucket without looking back). 

Depending on your volume/storage requirements, Amazon Prime, OneDrive, and GoogleDrive may serve your need. Another idea is 500px.com, but I think it's more suited for photographer community engagement and photo sales than sharing with friends and family.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 1:58:47 PM EDT
[#8]
oh fuck

....you mean they can use all the ARFCOM MEMES I've snatched up for the past 17 years

and pics of my mas produced guns

shrug

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 2:10:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My photo web site is hosted at SmugMug (currently a Power plan account). They've been flawless for me for the past ~3 years. Even their basic plan ($48/yr) is reasonable considering they allow unlimited photo uploads (including raw files). I use this site for my main storage/sharing host.

FWIW, I also have a free Flickr account mainly for another avenue of exposure. (ha!)

I stopped using Photobucket (paid account) years before the most recent wave of anger/frustration. SmugMug offers better service for less money (at least that was the case when I left PhotoBucket without looking back). 

Depending on your volume/storage requirements, Amazon Prime, OneDrive, and GoogleDrive may serve your need. Another idea is 500px.com, but I think it's more suited for photographer community engagement and photo sales than sharing with friends and family.
View Quote
Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 2:12:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
oh fuck

....you mean they can use all the ARFCOM MEMES I've snatched up for the past 17 years

and pics of my mas produced guns

shrug

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/2275/IMG-4151-247507.JPG
View Quote
I don't think any of us are worried about those.  I've seen a few people post some nice images from imgur after switching.  Just brought it up in case they haven't read the TOS and might want to not give away photo rights to a nice image.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 2:18:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I don't think any of us are worried about those.  I've seen a few people post some nice images from imgur after switching.  Just brought it up in case they haven't read the TOS and might want to not give away photo rights to a nice image.
View Quote
yep

i appreciate you pointing this out.

I keep all my family pics offline
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 3:03:39 PM EDT
[#12]
I use a smugmug account. I have the portfolio level.  It costs $150 per year.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 3:20:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

yep

i appreciate you pointing this out.

I keep all my family pics offline
View Quote
You just use arf/ imgur for the general web stuff?  Or another site?

And the family pics are another thing - I don't post any family other than myself, so I forgot about mentioning those.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 3:21:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I use a smugmug account. I have the portfolio level.  It costs $150 per year.
View Quote
Thanks.  No problems with the service?
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 3:26:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You just use arf/ imgur for the general web stuff?  Or another site?

And the family pics are another thing - I don't post any family other than myself, so I forgot about mentioning those.
View Quote
Photobucket until a few days ago

Tons of pics, several years worth,  in sub folders like "handloading"  and "retro-AR" etc

Been moving everything to imgur, and reorganizing
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 3:31:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Thanks.  No problems with the service?
View Quote
I have never had one.  At the same time I don't monitor it 24/7.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 4:12:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 5:35:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Photobucket until a few days ago

Tons of pics, several years worth,  in sub folders like "handloading"  and "retro-AR" etc

Been moving everything to imgur, and reorganizing
View Quote
The problem with imgur is that they don't accept large jpeg files.  I signed on to flicker and so far no problem with uploading large files.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 6:00:35 PM EDT
[#19]
500px got in trouble a few months ago for selling photos without attribution and (as of the writing) not paying the photographers.

Personally, I use Deviantart for my photography stuff.  Free unlimited hosting and if I want to upgrade to get more services on their site like multiple uploads, it's $10 a month.  Plus I can sell prints out of there if I feel like it.  Only complaint is that the images are right click enabled, but I doubt anyone will steal my stuff.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 6:18:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The problem with imgur is that they don't accept large jpeg files.  I signed on to flicker and so far no problem with uploading large files.
View Quote
can you imbed a photo here on ARFCOM from flicker ?
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 8:55:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, it takes a bit of wrangling, or at least it did in the past, but it works.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 11:37:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
500px got in trouble a few months ago for selling photos without attribution and (as of the writing) not paying the photographers.
View Quote
That wasn't my interpretation. There was an article posted by one creator making this claim and subsequent updates indicated the photos were sold through affiliates and billing cycle overlaps led to a perceived delay in payment. Another example of the headlines getting ahead of the reality - and I'm not sure this would even be a concern for somebody looking to host photos on free sites like Photobucket, Flickr, etc.  [shrug]
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 12:06:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes, just click the share button in flickr and copy/paste the bbcode.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 12:47:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is easy. They even give you a little 'sharing' button that auto formats for html, bbcode, or whatever.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top