Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2017 10:36:51 AM EDT
Considering I can use my full frame lenses on my cropped (80D) camera,  is it worth it to keep cropped lenses?

I have these;

10 - 18
18 - 55
55 - 250

Figured I could get a few hundred to offset the camera and lens costs.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:40:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 11:01:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Do yourself a favor and go full frame.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 11:09:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I would sell them.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 11:25:21 AM EDT
[#4]
None of those lenses are worth much...
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 11:31:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Sell them, step up to "L" lenses and never ever look back!
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 11:33:55 AM EDT
[#6]
If you're keeping a crop body around for the form factor, I'd think having cropped lenses around makes sense to lower the overall weight/size. Keep the 18-55 for the versatility, sell the rest?
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:02:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You don't want those unless you plan to keep a crop body around. It's a good idea to keep a crop body around.
View Quote
I do want to keep the 80D. Maybe sell one or two them?

As the poster who stated they aren't worth much, you aren't kidding.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:40:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yup.  And you can use them on a crop body too.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:54:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
this
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 4:21:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Granted that you're one of those Canon heretics, but I'd just try to run ff lenses on your crop bodies.  Easier to keep track of lenses and not accidentally slap a crop lens on a ff body in a hurry.

I think I have only 1 lens that is for a crop body and it's up for sale right now, as I'm going all full frame lenses.  That way I'm set up when I can afford the D810 replacement.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 3:35:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
this
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
this
My thoughts exactly.
Except dyslexic me first read it as "step on them, get L lenses and never look back!"

Aside from the older 100 macro (pre-dates release of the 100L macro), I only have L lenses, and use both a full frame and a crop (EOS5d and EOS50d) with no issues other than mental math to account for crop factor.
You'll be very pleased with any L lens, although most of the older style eos lenses (non-zoom) also deliver very sharp images.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 6:09:15 PM EDT
[#12]
I really like the 17-55mm for a crop lens... Pretty close to L quality imho. The 50 F/1.4 isn't bad either, not a huge step down from the 50mm F1.2L at all.

That said, anything with an L badge these days is pretty damn good and hard to go wrong.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 6:23:14 PM EDT
[#13]
I've never had a cropped body, I started with a 5d but I got my son 60D for high school graduation a few years ago. He loved it and recently when I had the opportunity to step up to the 6D, he was initially hesitant to give up the form factor of the crop, but after using for only a day, he was totally on board and never had a regret.
He now only uses L lenses, the snob... lol
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 6:51:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've never had a cropped body, I started with a 5d but I got my son 60D for high school graduation a few years ago. He loved it and recently when I had the opportunity to step up to the 6D, he was initially hesitant to give up the form factor of the crop, but after using for only a day, he was totally on board and never had a regret.
He now only uses L lenses, the snob... lol
View Quote
Both have their uses though.  Personally I'm going to keep a crop body and a full frame when I can afford one.  For wildlife and sports, that extra bit of distance with lenses and frames per second is a good thing.  Well, unless you go up to a full professional high fps body anyhow.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 8:56:47 PM EDT
[#15]
As one poster said above, I am going to sell off the 10-18, 55-250 and keep the 18-55.

KEH says I can get about $150 for the 10-18. Not sure about the other yet.

I am also going to keep the 80D as a backup, esp when it can use the FF L lenses.

I am going into the city to look at the L lenses first hand ( I think I am going to get the 24-70 and 70-300), but considering the 6D MK II doesn't ship till the end of this month, I have a bit of time to shop and make an informed decision.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 10:15:35 PM EDT
[#16]
100-400L is one of the nicest lenses I've ever shot with, I got DVD's I can't currently find with some heartstopping duck action, it gets mixed reviews, but the one I had was awesome.
16-35 is a must too. My theory even when I had a crop camera, was full frame lenses only. you can always work around it.  those two, the bottom end 50, and the 85L are probably all you'll ever need for both cameras.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 6:54:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 5:49:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
100-400L is one of the nicest lenses I've ever shot with, I got DVD's I can't currently find with some heartstopping duck action, it gets mixed reviews, but the one I had was awesome.
16-35 is a must too. My theory even when I had a crop camera, was full frame lenses only. you can always work around it.  those two, the bottom end 50, and the 85L are probably all you'll ever need for both cameras.
View Quote
I've been very happy with my 17-40L for half the price or the 16-35L, the 24-105 is one of the sharpest Canon zoom lenses out there and as for the 85, mine is the only non-L lens I have and I love it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top