Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/27/2017 2:49:01 AM EDT
I'm wanting to do something more professional looking than my current one, but don't have the slightest idea where to go with it.  Any thoughts on it?  Well, beyond raising the opacity on it from the 15-25% where I'm at now I mean.

On one hand, as it sits now, it gives you my name and whatnot, but it just doesn't scream 'professional' to me.  Granted, I'm not there, but I'm hoping to work my way up.  

Link Posted: 5/27/2017 7:20:50 AM EDT
[#1]
make it smaller and more opaque.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 12:04:14 PM EDT
[#2]
OH EMMM GEEE

You want to talk about my biggest fucking pet peeve of this industry?  Branding.

It's not bad enough every swinging dick (and, cooch, there's a lot around me) with a camera suddenly thinks they are a portrait studio, they do these huge, obnoxious 99% opaque, white fucking logos. I think the last one that gave me forrest whitacre eye was a decent head and shoulders of a bride and groom highlighting their rings. But at least thirty or forty percent of the image was the snappers' logo.

I don't put any branding on the things I do. It's stupid of me; there are good reasons. Pro houses have done them all throughout film history. But I can't destroy an otherwise interesting and thought - provoking image with my name. I'm not important - that slice of life I captured, is. If you wanna find out who took that, look at the exif data, or ask someone.

I am in NO WAY comparing my efforts, but it is exactly the same as if there was a 20% logo on the Mona Lisa, or a big 'limited edition by' on the Thinker.

NOT saying this applies to you or your example. Just... it bugs me. I might be the only one.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 12:50:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OH EMMM GEEE

You want to talk about my biggest fucking pet peeve of this industry?  Branding.

It's not bad enough every swinging dick (and, cooch, there's a lot around me) with a camera suddenly thinks they are a portrait studio, they do these huge, obnoxious 99% opaque, white fucking logos. I think the last one that gave me forrest whitacre eye was a decent head and shoulders of a bride and groom highlighting their rings. But at least thirty or forty percent of the image was the snappers' logo.

I don't put any branding on the things I do. It's stupid of me; there are good reasons. Pro houses have done them all throughout film history. But I can't destroy an otherwise interesting and thought - provoking image with my name. I'm not important - that slice of life I captured, is. If you wanna find out who took that, look at the exif data, or ask someone.

I am in NO WAY comparing my efforts, but it is exactly the same as if there was a 20% logo on the Mona Lisa, or a big 'limited edition by' on the Thinker.

NOT saying this applies to you or your example. Just... it bugs me. I might be the only one.
View Quote
Far from it.

Watermarks have become a good indicator of a bunch of things.

Don't use them OP.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 10:42:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I've used this technique to place event/date info on photos watermark.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 10:57:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys :)  I'm trying to figure out where I'm going from here, so all the comments help.    There are a couple paid projects this summer as well, so wanting to get everything set up for it.  Trying to learn lightroom so the settings can carry over to all the images, vs doing it one by one in photoshop and notes of what I did in RAW.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 12:10:05 AM EDT
[#6]
For best watermark, set opacity to 0%.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 8:16:02 PM EDT
[#7]
dupe, 

Just say no to watermarks. Especially for a paid gig. People aren't paying for your watermark on their images. 
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 8:51:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
dupe, 

Just say no to watermarks. Especially for a paid gig. People aren't paying for your watermark on their images. 
View Quote
Well yeah, I don't watermark stuff I'm paid for.  Generally don't post it anywhere either
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top