Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/25/2017 5:06:17 PM EDT
Headed to Victoria in Vancouver Island, then to Olympic National Park.

Should I bring with me a Fujinon 100-400mm telephoto lens.  It is heavy and bulky.
Would it be useful on this type of vacation?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 5:46:29 PM EDT
[#1]
How are you traveling?  If by car then definitely.  Toss it in the trunk.

If by air, then maybe not.

Last trip I took by air I left the 150-600 ahttp://www.ar15.com/forums/manageReply.html?b=1&f=121&t=1997483&r=-1&page=1#t home (but took the 70-300).  Might have been 2 or 3 times I really wished for 600mm, but overall 300mm did the job.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 5:46:55 PM EDT
[#2]
How are you traveling?  If by car then definitely.  Toss it in the trunk.

If by air, then maybe not.

Last trip I took by air I left the 150-600 a home (but took the 70-300).  Might have been 2 or 3 times I really wished for 600mm, but overall 300mm did the job.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:17:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 6:52:30 PM EDT
[#4]
that is not a big lens... basically the same size/weight as a Canon 70-200

yes, bring it
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 10:09:57 AM EDT
[#5]
So I just returned from the west coast and suffering from jet lag.

Once I get back up to speed, I will post what equipment I took as well as some jpegs.

Thanks for the advice given.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 2:57:51 PM EDT
[#6]
After my original post, I never had a chance to read the replies given to it, I only did so after returning home.

I did include the 100-400mm Fuji lens in my backpack.  The total weight was 13.6 pounds, which by far, weighted less than my previous bag which carried my Canon equipment.
As any "senior" photographer knows well, what starts weighting 13.6 pounds, feels like forty by the time you return at the end of the day to your place of stay.

My wife and I flew into Vancouver, BC where I used my 23mm and a 16mm wide angle lens  for "street scenes", this type of photography makes one think differently and act with a certain sense of stealth.  Sad to see how many young people live on the streets of Vancouver. We then proceeded to Victoria, BC where again I mostly used the above mentioned lenses, except the one time I used the 100-400mm to reach out and get a shot of a gargoyle perched high atop a building.  We next moved onto Washington state where Olympic National park is located. Again I found myself using the smaller lenses except once when I saw a marmot in the distance and used this "big and heavy" lens with a monopod.  The place we were at is called Hurricane Ridge (steady 40mph wind) so the resulting image was not as sharp as I would have liked. Seattle was next, here I only used the 32mm lens for "street scenes", this lens really is amazing.

So to wrap up, the 100-400mm got used twice. Yes, it does get heavier as the day progresses and probably next long trip it won't reside in my equipment bag.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top