Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/21/2017 6:14:34 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 8:48:40 AM EDT
[#1]
I was using a DSLR for video for a little while. It was OK, but I found that a lot of the features that make DSLR's good such as image stabilization and auto-focus really didn't work for video.

I use a Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera for video. It's a much better suited platform and the workflow is a lot less. I don't know what you were looking to spend but after adding up the cost of everything you need to do to get one of your DSLR's up and running you might not be far off from a BMPCC. And in my opinion the BMPCC does a much better job at video but that's just me.

If you're going to do sound then investing in an off board digital voice recorder and shotgun/lapel mics might not be a bad idea.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 8:55:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 9:18:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm not locked into using a DSLR at all.

I'm open to other ideas, but this is the stuff I already have. In addition, and I forgot to mention, I've got a Gopro hero 5 and a 3+ black. The hero 5 could potentially help out with some stuff here but it'd still be pretty dirty audio.
View Quote
If the Hero 3 and 5 produce similar images then you can use them both. However, if they produce dissimilar images then pick the best looking one and use that with your DSLR. You audience will tolerate 2 different image styles/looks in you film a lot more than they will 3 different styles/looks.

GoPros are capable of producing some great video here are some examples:

Place of Fear: Searching The Mayan Underworld Part 1

Just Breath: Searching The mayan Underworld Part 2

Yab Yum: Searching The Mayan Underworld Part 3

All of those were filmed on GoPro's.

Do keep in mind that with a GoPro you're going to be locked into a fixed focused, fixed aperture camera; that's good for some things. However, if you're going to want to use more creating elements into you videos like focusing, depth of field, etc...you're going to be limited.

Look into Look Up Tables (LUTs). They're a sort of overlay for your film that changes it's appearance. If you're decent at color grading you might be able to sync up the image aspects from your DSLR and GoPro images so that they look close; then seal the deal so to speak with a LUT. Someone around here probably knows a lot more about this than I do.

If you're going to incorporate a lot of sound into your stuff use a digital recorder. I use the onboard mic on my cameras just to get a waveform pattern. Then I'll take the sound from my digital recorder and sync it using the waveform pattern. I don't know if this is right or wrong but that's how I do it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 4:05:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have a D750, D500, even a D7200 hanging around.

35DX, 50FX, 24-120FX, 105mm FX and the big gun.

AF during my testing seems to produce an annoying grinding sound no matter what. Manual focusing seems to avoid that, but it's hard to track motion.
View Quote
Focus is one of the two problems most people have. If the camera will do auto-focus smoothly, it will be noisy when using the camera's internal microphone. Manual focus solves both problems, but there  is a reason that production crews have a person dedicated to working the focus of the camera.

Quoted:How would I get rid of that grinding noise, and what's a decent starter audio setup? I was thinking something like a camera mounted rode with a dead cat on it, but I'm open to suggestions here.
View Quote
An external mic with a "cat" is where most folks end up. It solves most of the problems. The closer you can get the mic to the subject the happier you will be. Rode gets great reviews.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 7:12:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The GF is wanting to branch out a bit on youtube, in addition to her drawing videos, she's got visions of a travel themed channel showing various stuff about the Philippines. I'm in support here, as the stuff we've viewed in researching this seems to get a lot of hits.
View Quote

Unless you are really into the video production, getting a "vlogging" camera with an external mic would probably be the simplest/best solution. Something like a Panasonic GH4 or GH5 ($$$!) would work well, maybe overkill. Travel videos would be easier with an all in one unit instead of having to juggle a camera and external recorder. You can always still get a cheap recorder like a Zoom H1 for voiceover/using a more complex set up at home.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 9:56:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Short of a full on shoulder rig with an isolated shock mount mic,  I'm not sure you will rid it completely of the lens noise.  

I use the Go-Pro rig a lot around home.  I usually take my NEX VG30 when I need video with good glass.

I have not noticed any lens noise with this at all.

If HD is not so important I still sometimes use this. It will pick up the fan noise in the digital recorder add on at times unless I disable the fan.  
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 12:42:43 AM EDT
[#7]
It depends.

If she wants to sit in front of the camera, locked off, the DSLR may work. What I've been finding out is the more motion in the frame, the less DSLR's (I really research Nikon, not as sure about canon/sony alpha/etc) can deal with it.

You can't really handhold a DSLR in video mode. So, you need a 'rig'.

Because the mike, even shock isolated, is in the camera body near the motor, it is almost impossible to get rid of the noise.

Also, your Nikon may not have mic in, or it may be mono only. Most people run a pocket recorder on a shotgun and then synch the two in the editing software later.

Lastly, I haven't been able to really work it yet, but everything I read says the AF function on the Nikon in video mode is... lacking. You also can't change aperture while in live mode, which is a huge deal (you should leave the speed at 40 or 50 depending on which camp you follow).

That's why I asked the question I did. In the time it takes to rig my 7000, I can pull the betacam SX out of the bag, flip a couple of switches and be running. I just can't log that format any more with the laptop I'm using. I want a 4-5 year old HD ENG handheld camcorder, preferably recording to cards. I want to pay about... nothing for it, too. lol

It's disappointing, because you see all these people shooting all kinds of stuff with the canons, I had hopes when I bought the 7k that would be the end of the body line for me for awhile, yet here I sit researching, trying to find something that will work for me.

Having said all of that, I know several successful youtubers that just use their smartphone or a basic box-type 'muvi' type video camera. Not very sexy to operate, but they aren't hung up on technicalities, just content. So, they are happy to mash a single red button and off they go.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 12:55:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 1:13:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Changing aperture in live view and while recording seems to work as intended. That may be a recent change.
View Quote
Yes, that is a recent update for the Nikons.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top