Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/19/2017 3:58:39 PM EDT
I'd like to do this in GD, because I know it gets more traffic, but hopefully I'll get some ideas here.

I've kept a prosumer video camera for years. I've shot very little, and it cuts across genres: shorts, docu / interviews, spot news.

I have currently a betacam SX and a handheld mini dv single chip camera. Neither do widescreen or HD.

I also have as a primary computer a laptop with only USB 3.0 (no firewire, no expresscard slot).

I also have a nikon D7000, and two fauxpros.

I want a lightweight rig that will allow me to shoot what I want at local broadcast standards. I prefer shoulder models, but see that ship has sailed into the past. I want to go tapeless. I'd PREFER to just pull a p2 card, and somehow ingest it into the laptop.

I don't need cutting edge, 3-5 years ago looks fine to me considering what I currently have.

I don't shoot much now (part of that has to do with workflow) so, I just don't want to dump a ton of money (1k) into a solution.

I'd like to be able to shoot 'stuff'. Maybe get some people together and bust out an indie short. Or do some more spec news.

Should I just work with what I got, or buy something similar to what local news types are using (well, the ones that aren't shooting off a tablet)?

Problems - D7k I'm gonna have to run a separate path for audio. I'll have to invest in a few manual lenses, because you can't adjust aperture, and I'm betting zoom and focus is going to be an issue in a, whatever you call those skeletons they mount video dslrs into now.

Fauxpros - can't focus or do any optical stuff without modding the lenses, can't input audio.

Like for instance, a buddy just started a band. I'd like to go shoot them. Currently, can't use the SX because I don't have a SDI interface for this laptop, so there is no way to get anything in past the SD BNC. It would be not widescreen, so no real way to use it as the base cam with my fauxpros. Fauxpros will ingest directly into the laptop, but there's no way to handheld them without it looking like the aerial combat footage in top gun - I'm shaky now... lol

I guess I could use the DV camcorder, I've got a DV VCR that may have a USB on it. I bet it don't, though, and I don't know of a way to get DV into the new laptop.

Basically, what I would want to do is throw the d7k on sticks and use that as the base. Put the fauxpros somewhere for interesting cuts. Then, I'd want something handheld to do B roll with.

If I had a good 3 chip camcorder, I'd use it as the base (sorry, forget the industry term - establishing shot) and run stereo audio into it, and use the d7k on a rig to get B roll.

Basically, I'm tired from college classes, turned around on this, and just want a simple workflow with a camcorder that does decent work (these new big teevees show flaws in focus and technique bad) and doesn't look amateur.

I've been looking at HVX200A's as an example of where my head's at. That's around $500ish; I'd be ok expending that amount if I knew it would be acceptable to people needing like explainers or interviews or crap to the cable crime procedural type shows. I don't want to buy another laptop, and I especially don't want a desktop. I'd like to be able to shoot, ingest and cut right there in the field.

Sorry for being exceptionally rambly. Maybe somebody can pick a thought out there and take me under their wing?    
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 5:08:15 PM EDT
[#1]
@hollywood_shooter
@proto_3
@proto3
2..3, whatever it takes

@pale_pony
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 6:04:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@hollywood_shooter
@proto_3
View Quote
I'm 'stills' only, and know nothing of video.  Proto is your guy.  Good luck!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top