Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/18/2017 5:09:27 PM EDT
I have a Nikon D1 (yes, a D1, Nikon's first DSLR) and it has been a great camera, just too damn heavy and my battery isn't lasting very long (I know, buy a new battery).
I am looking for something in the Nikon product line as I can use all my lenses with it. I'm looking at a $400 budget for the body. I have considered the D3300 & D5200 but not sure if there is something else I should be looking at.
I plan on shooting landscapes (landscapes, mountain ranges, city scapes, etc..) and just general pictures with my family. Nothing but hobby type stuff.

What are your suggestions?

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 8:26:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Assuming you want to stay with the DX sensors, you have lots of choices. Even the bottom line cameras will give you far better tech. If you like wide angle stuff, you might want to upgrade to the FX sensors. However, that comes with a bigger price tag and often requires lens upgrades.

If you like the control layout, you will want to stay with the pro line (D300, D500). Large bodies, big performance, big price tags.

The smallest bodies are the D3000 and D5000 lines. The technology is great, but I don't like the small sizes in my large hands.
Given your older lenses, these two lines may not autofocus since the bodies have no focus motors and require AF-S lenses.
If your lenses are the "screwdriver" AF ones, you will need the D7000 higher lines to get the needed focus motor in the camera body.

Personally, I would never go below the D7000 line due to wanting all the extra buttons and liking the bigger bodies.
Your best bet is to go to a camera store and play with the cameras to see which ones you like best for the feel in your hands.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 9:01:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I just got a 7200 a couple of months ago after staying out of DLSR's.  It was a refurbished model from B&H.  I recall it was $750 or so.  Though I wish that I had a full frame to capture the 20mm wide that I have the camera is amazing for what it is.  It works with all of my first gen AF lens.

Any one want to buy a N6006 or a N90?
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 9:38:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Like the other guys have said, FX bodies are better for landscapes and wide angle stuff.  Although with a $500 budget, you aren't going to get anywhere near that.  

You can get a refurbished D7000 for ~$550 or a D7100 for ~$560.  Personally I'd eat the extra $10 and get the D7100 as it's a fair bit better than the D7000.  With either of these you'll still get the prosumer grade magnesium weather sealed body, etc.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 12:17:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Maybe a used D300S?
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 3:22:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Like the other guys have said, FX bodies are better for landscapes and wide angle stuff.  Although with a $500 budget, you aren't going to get anywhere near that.  

You can get a refurbished D7000 for ~$550 or a D7100 for ~$560.  Personally I'd eat the extra $10 and get the D7100 as it's a fair bit better than the D7000.  With either of these you'll still get the prosumer grade magnesium weather sealed body, etc.
View Quote
I think I am going with the D7000, which I can get from KEH.com for $450 for EX+ rated. The D7100 is running $620 for same condition.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 5:21:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I think I am going with the D7000, which I can get from KEH.com for $450 for EX+ rated. The D7100 is running $620 for same condition.
View Quote
The frame buffer is going to kill you.  It will start to bog after 5-6 shots.  The D7200 "fixed" the frame buffer size, so the 7000 and 7100 have that tiny buffer.

One of the reasons I stepped up to the D500 was for that buffer (and ISO and FPS rate).
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 5:25:13 PM EDT
[#7]
@GlockSpeed31, tried to send you an IM about a D7100 but your inbox is full.  PM me for details.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 5:53:55 PM EDT
[#8]
GlockSpeed31: Good choice. The D7100 is only a tad bit better than the D7000.

I have a D7100, and I bought a Tamron fish-eye lense that does not have a built-in motor for auto-focus; the fisheye functions perfectly in my D7100.

Don't worry about a used Nikon body, I have a Nikon D40X that has >150,000 clicks on the shutter, and it still functions perfrectly, I sill use it as a backup camera.

The D7000 is more than adequate for your stated purpose in you OP.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 6:04:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
@GlockSpeed31, tried to send you an IM about a D7100 but your inbox is full.  PM me for details.
View Quote
@fredman, in box cleaned up some. Please try to resend.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 6:14:22 PM EDT
[#10]
FredMan is absolutely correct on the frame buffer, it will bog down on the 5th frame; but for me I shoot mostly semi, and occasionally 3-shot bursts, so I have no problems. If I were to experience buffer problems with the 7100, I probably could switch to a faster SD card.

BTW FredMan: I may step up to a D500 because of its way faster focusing speed, since it was designed for sports photography; but I am trying to weight the pros & cons between the D7200, D7500, and a refurb'd D500 versus price
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 6:21:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
FredMan is absolutely correct on the frame buffer, it will bog down on the 5th frame; but for me I shoot mostly semi, and occasionally 3-shot bursts, so I have no problems. If I were to experience buffer problems with the 7100, I probably could switch to a faster SD card.

BTW FredMan: I may step up to a D500 because of its way faster focusing speed, since it was designed for sports photography; but I am trying to weight the pros & cons between the D7200, D7500, and a refurb'd D500 versus price
View Quote
Honestly, the D7500 offers nothing really over a D7200.  They took away a few of the features that makes the 7200 so awesome IMO, like killing the option for a battery grip, etc.  The 7500 does have slightly bigger pixel sizes, so it'll do better in low light, but loses the battery grip and a SD slot.  Depends how much you shoot really.  In my case, the extra battery and slot is a huge thing.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:16:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Well, I can't speak for everyone, but for me there was only 1 answer.

D500 by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 1:03:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 1:47:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 2:06:13 PM EDT
[#15]

ETA, not for nothing, but the ipotato can take some amazing pics.

This shot, IMO, could be a slick full-page in a slick magazine.  iphone 4 IIRC.

BrightonRail by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 4:54:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

ETA, not for nothing, but the ipotato can take some amazing pics.
View Quote
That's something that has cropped up for me over the past few years. Upgraded my DSLR, but hm, yank something out of my pocket and push the wagon wheel, or fight the knobs and controls and parts and pieces, snap over and over until I get something I can live with?

Link Posted: 5/21/2017 8:36:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Half the fun is fiddlin' with all the buttons and knobs.  This fiddle gives me that result; that fiddle give me this result.

For me, in a very real sense, the act of choosing which lens, what aperture/shutter/ISO, etc. is what makes it interesting.  ANYBODY can push a button on their smartphone.

And then, every once in a while,   something comes out that's truly well photographed.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 1:05:00 AM EDT
[#18]
The trick to good photography is knowing what you want the resulting image to look like so that you can then fiddle with the correct knobs.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 1:10:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 9:15:03 PM EDT
[#20]
The real trick to good photography, nay, great photography, is to take lots of pictures and delete most of them.
View Quote
Ain't that the truth.  So far this year I've clicked the shutter about 12,000 times and kept about 1,800.  15% keeper rate.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 9:20:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Ain't that the truth.  So far this year I've clicked the shutter about 12,000 times and kept about 1,800.  15% keeper rate.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
The real trick to good photography, nay, great photography, is to take lots of pictures and delete most of them.
Yup.  Over the weekend, I've cleared out nearly 10k photos with a ton more to go.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 5:54:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Something to keep in mind with a camera as old as the D1...how many of your AF lenses have built in focusing motors vs the older type that used the focus drive servo in the camera body?  A lot of the cheaper Nikon DX bodies don't have the lens mount focusing servo.  So, if you want to use "all your lenses", you may need to limit yourself to bodies with the focusing servo.  You can probably find D7000/D7100's for fairly cheap now that they're a few models out of date.  The D500 mentioned above is a hell of a camera...but way out of your target price range.  And you don't need 10fps for landscapes.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 6:01:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Something to keep in mind with a camera as old as the D1...how many of your AF lenses have built in focusing motors vs the older type that used the focus drive servo in the camera body?  A lot of the cheaper Nikon DX bodies don't have the lens mount focusing servo.  So, if you want to use "all your lenses", you may need to limit yourself to bodies with the focusing servo.  You can probably find D7000/D7100's for fairly cheap now that they're a few models out of date.  The D500 mentioned above is a hell of a camera...but way out of your target price range.  And you don't need 10fps for landscapes.
View Quote
They start around $550 for the 7000 and $560 for the 7100 from Nikon direct as refurbs.  Just the bodies mind you.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:11:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
No you don't.  The beauty of landscape photography is Mt Rainier doesn't move very often.
OP would do well with a D7100 or D7200.  One of the reasons I bought a D7100 was for the motor in the body for old lenses.
My D7100 was a $600 open box from B&H.

Antique, obsolete D7100 \ Sigma 17-50mm DX lens.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:30:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Well, I can't speak for everyone, but for me there was only 1 answer.
View Quote

I am not a camera body buyer, and in the last few years am not really a lens buyer either. One time, I was saving up for a new body, and ran across a great deal on an 80-200 f2.8. I decided to buy the lens and keep the old camera body for awhile. Several years later I updated again. Most recently, I updated when B&H had a HECK of a deal on the D500. I think I paid $1700 w/ the battery grip, extra battery, memory card, and something else. My DSLR progression was D70 (bought refurb) to D90 (bought refurb, when the camera had already been out a couple years) to D500 (bought "new"). The 70-90 upgrade was notable, but not staggering. The 90 to D500 upgrade is truly spectacular. I shoot in a lot of settings, but mostly school gyms, kids sports fields, and Taekwondo (indoors, mediocre lighting). Being able to get VERY GOOD images with an ISO of 10,000 is impressive.

It used to be if you had to choose, you spent your money on glass. I will say though, that now the higher end DSLRs pay real dividends over the lower-level stuff.

-shooter
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 4:09:58 PM EDT
[#26]
I had the 7000, 7100, 7200 and now the d500.
I take lots of hockey pictures of my teenage son and his teams.  I really liked the 7100 (until I dropped it on the cement) so I replaced it with the 7200.  It was fine until I saw the FPS on the D500 and had to have it.
The 7200 was fine for probably about 85% of my uses.  I kept that camera as I still like it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top