Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/16/2017 9:07:03 PM EDT
So more details are starting to crop up, with it supposedly being announced in the next month to month and a half.  If true, this is going to be a fantastic camera IMO.  

Supposedly there is a sequel of the god tier 12-24mm f/2.8 coming out with it.  Supposed to have a mix of flourite and ED coatings, a fair bit lighter, and (in one version of what I heard) possibly faster than f/2.8.  Somehow I think that last is really iffy because if they brought it down to a f/2 plus everything else, that lens will be obscenely expensive.  High performance as hell though, and Nikon is trying to refocus on the professional side, so I'll mark it as a 'maybe.'

Announced Summer, shipping early to mid fall
46-52mp Nikon modified Sony triple layer backlit sensor, ala A7rII
Improved ISO range 64-56,000 regular, push to 125k in B&W
Bluetooth and Wifi with Snapbridge (upgraded version)
Tiltable touch screen
SD and QXD slots
Expeed 5 processing
4k video
AF system and points from the D5
7-10 or 10-14 fps burst mode (I've heard both)
Weather sealed magnesium and carbon fiber body (not sure if reinforced or actual fiber.  Likely reinforced poly)
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 9:32:57 PM EDT
[#1]
It sounds good.  It also sounds expensive.

I'm thinking it may be my next camera, but price is going to be a big factor.

We'll see.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 9:39:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Left nut, right nut, both nuts or first born?
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 10:32:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Likely around the same $3000 price point as it is right now, I'd imagine.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 11:18:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm thinking it will be more like $4000.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 1:51:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 12:42:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I can't agree.

I also think that there's too much D5 in these specs.

They won't want to steal sales from their top model so something will give.

OK, huge sensor. OK D5 AF processor. If they also match the D5 frame rate, why would anyone buy a D5?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm thinking it will be more like $4000.
I can't agree.

I also think that there's too much D5 in these specs.

They won't want to steal sales from their top model so something will give.

OK, huge sensor. OK D5 AF processor. If they also match the D5 frame rate, why would anyone buy a D5?
Well I hope you are right about the price, but new model cameras always seem to be more expensive than their predecessor.  At $3K, I'd probably be all over it.

I don't think the frame rate will be very high, either.  Those are going to be some very big files, and will likely slow things dow some.  And I don't think high frame rate  is the main purpose of D820 (D810), anyway. Frankly, I think 46 MP is getting to the point of almost being too big.  It's not just the storage issue, but you also need a computer that can process them in a timely manner.  My old Mac Pro still does a pretty good job with my 12 MP files in Photoshop, but I have to wonder  what will happen if I move to 46 MP.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 3:21:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I shoot the 800 and the D4 at work Prefer the 800.

Kekoa  is right Nikon will be trading MP's for frame rate. They always have. The amount of ones and zeros that those photos will put out  at 43MP will be staggering.
When I got the then new D800 for myself I had to buy a new computer, new card reader, and new storage to deal with the file size.

Tiltable touch screen
View Quote
Don't want that. I knock cameras around quite a bit. that is going to get broken off quickly. Touch screen/ My big honker will by changing settings as I shoot, OK it will have a lock out, but it is just more stuff to go wrong that doesn't rely help photo quality.

Bluetooth and Wifi with Snapbridge
View Quote
Don't want that either don't need my camera hacked. Also the stuff that comes out of the camera is the same as negatives to me. Its going to get some processing first before it gets out.

SD and QXD slots
View Quote
  Don't use QXD. I am not against it, but it is wasted space for me.

I have to look at all new gear in the light of
1 Will it do something I cant do already,
2 will it make enough money to be justifiable. (break even would be nice sometimes)
3 Am I in the market for something like it already. Gear wears out or in my case gets beaten to death.

I love the 800 series. and I am starting to look around for a new camera, or a major rebuild on this one, so I will keep an eye on this one. But moveable touchscreens are nogo from the start.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 3:45:32 PM EDT
[#8]
So apparently what I heard is different that what Nikon Rumors and Petapixel have printed.  Considering they probably have more reputable sources, I'd venture this is the more accurate one.

• Announcement this summer, shipment in fall (announcement/shipment could be earlier)
  • Will be called D820 (D850 is still a possibility)
  • 45-46MP sensor
  • Improved low and high ISO
  • New and improved version of SnapBridge
  • No built-in GPS
  • Tiltable LCD screen
  • Memory card slots: one SD and one XQD
  • New: AF system from the D5
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 4:16:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
........but it is just more stuff to go wrong that doesn't rely help photo quality.
View Quote
I'm with you on this.  Picture quality is what really counts, to me.

Call me old school (or just plain old), but I'm not interested in Bluetooth, WiFi, GPS, Snapbridge, or a touch screen.  I can see how a tilting screen might be useful at times for some people, but I've never needed one. In fact, I actually forgot that my Sony RX100 II even has a tilting screen.    

Having two memory cards is nice, but I'd like them to be the same format.  That would just make life easier.

Maybe I should just start looking at the D810, since they have come down in price so much.  On the other hand, I'd like to be on the cutting edge, since I'll probably keep my next camera for a long time.  I've been using the D700 for 6 years now.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 4:37:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Even though the price of the 810 is more reasonable now, I'd wait for this and then decide. The 810 will be even lower and you can decide if you want the next best thing or the bridesmaid.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 7:37:47 PM EDT
[#11]
The megapixels sound reasonable since this is Nikon's pro hi-res studio/landscape camera.
The D5 AF module seems reasonable, reuse of parts if nothing else.
A slightly improved ISO range from the D810 is natural.
Any frame rate over 8 fps seems unlikely.
Splitting the card types seems expected based on previous behavior from Nikon.
For price, I can see a 10% increase over the D810.

Currently I am saving my pennies for the Nikon D5S in 2018. My D700 (mini D3) needs an upgrade for the indoor sports I am shooting.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 1:11:53 PM EDT
[#12]
After a few months with a D500 I have learned a few things. First, different format cards are silly - especially when there is a monster price difference between them. I have a ton of SD cards - but no XQD cards. I should rectify that so that I can leverage two slots, but the price different aggravates me. I will likely bite the bullet before a big trip that is coming up.

Touch screen is good for shooting in LiveView to change focus spots quickly. It would probably also help for video. Other than that, I lock it out.

Image sizes creeping up has bothered me for awhile. Not because of write speed, but because of storage after the fact. I am still tinkering with my ideal storage solution as the number and size of images continues to rise.

-shooter
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 9:06:24 AM EDT
[#13]
With 46mp stuffed into a 35mm sensor, the low-light performance is sure to be worse than the D810. I may pick up a 3rd D810 body when these come out and prices drop.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:19:29 PM EDT
[#14]
First, different format cards are silly - especially when there is a monster price difference between them
View Quote
I see this as the eventual transition to XQD-only bodies.

XQD cards have insane write speeds, but mfgrs figure they better include that tired old SD slot to ease the transition.

Remember when CF cards were the best option?
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:33:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I see this as the eventual transition to XQD-only bodies.

XQD cards have insane write speeds, but mfgrs figure they better include that tired old SD slot to ease the transition.

Remember when CF cards were the best option?
View Quote
It is all about the transition from the old cards to the new cards.
After the D820 is released with the two different cards, the D830 will be released two years later using only two XQD cards.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top