Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2017 6:36:58 PM EDT
My daughter is a junior in high school and has really enjoyed her photography classes. I'm looking into getting her a nice camera for her birthday. I want something that she can grow into but not something overly complicated. I'd like to get her something that she can change lenses, and use filters. She has no interest in 35mm film and likes using the digital cameras the school issues to the students. What should I be looking for and how much should I expect to spend ? I'm hoping to keep it around 200.00 but I will go higher if I need to.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 7:12:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I have several cameras that range from DSLRs to 360 degrees-capable models.    Also got a couple drones to play with aerial photography.

In the end, the two (let's say three) cameras I carry with me most of the time are the Panasonic Lumix, the Ricoh Theta S (for 360 photos) and my Samsung S7.

I love the photos my Pentax K5 takes but the camera and lenses are big and end-up cumbersome when I'm traveling.   All others fit in my pocket and can take some nice photos.

If you are not sure about your daughter taking it as a serious hobby I suggest starting with something like the Panasonic Lumix.  The newer models have full manual options and allow for so e great photos.   I'm thinking about getting a micro 4/3 model now.  Very small and allow for interchangeable lenses.  I'll probably stick with Panasonic or maybe get a Sony.

Most of all, it's all about the photographer, not the camera.  

Here's some links to check it out.

https://www.provideocoalition.com/the-best-micro-four-thirds-cameras-for-video/

https://www.digitaltrends.com/photography/best-mirrorless-cameras/

http://www.four-thirds.org/en/microft/#SlideFrame_9
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 7:42:15 PM EDT
[#2]
To be honest, $200 is scraping bare bones on cameras.  Unless it is an old model and used/refurbished, you aren't going to find much.  The least expensive I can find on a refurb is the D3000 with one 18-55mm lens, which is a 2009 model for $300.  Short of bumping the budget up a couple hundred, used or old refurbs are likely it.  

Personally, I'd rather look at quality used over that.  @FredMan has a D200 and 18-105mm lens in the EE that he may be willing to make a deal on.  It's only a 10.2 megapixel (same as the D3000), but is still perfectly functional.  It is also all manual, minus (I think) auto ISO, so they'd have to learn how to run the camera vs just putting it on auto.  But it has all the pro side build, magnesium body, weather sealing, etc.

That's really a toughie though.  I'll see if I can come up with any ideas though.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 7:45:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 8:04:19 PM EDT
[#4]
It's older as well, but there is the Olympus PEN E-PL1, which came out in 2010.  12mp mirrorless that takes pretty much all (grain of salt) Olympus and potentially other Micro 4/3 lenses.  $130 for a condition 9 one at B&H, so almost new with a 14-14mm lens here.  Takes SD and SDHC cards.  May need a new battery as the one in it is likely 7 years old or so.  Same goes with a cleaning, but that's easy DIY.

Downside is that even used M4/3 lenses are kinda expensive since they've only been on the market for around a decade, vs Nikon and Canon that have been around forever.  So unless it's a manual lens, expect to start from $2-300 new or used on them.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 8:14:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I appreciate the responses so far. I'm starting to see how far behind I am in knowledge of today's technology
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 8:24:45 PM EDT
[#6]
ting an older pro-level DSLR is a great way to start.  My DSLR progression was a D50, D200 (mentioned above), D7100, and now D500.

I got the D200 8 years after it was introduced and paid 15% of the original price.  I got two great years out of it until I upgraded to the D7100.

This was taken with the D200 and a 70-300 lens.

DSC_2202_TripodnChild-lzn by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 8:42:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Adorama has several D300S bodies for $190
That would put the OP over budget when it shopping for glass.  
The D300S is no slouch even today.  Once the OP's daughter figured it out she'd be set for a long time.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 9:33:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Film is not dead and a lot of here use it, but it is just not off the shelf available anymore. add to that where are you going to get it processed, and printed and you start to see that it is a nogo for the beginner. Most people I know that shoot film develop it themselves and most have darkroom/print setups. you have to have passion for film these days. (and money)

You did not say what she was using in school. That might influence what you get her, or what she wants in a camera. To me a camera is a tool, I am not married to a brand. For myself I use Nikon because I am cheap. I can buy a nikon film lens mad in the 70's from a yard sale, and it will go right in my latest model D4s and auto focus and meter light. I use Nikon at work because thats what they gave me.

KEH has been mentioned and is a great place for used gear. I have bought from them, and will again.

$200, yeah thats a tight price point for a DSLR but anything is possible if you look hard enough.
Hit craigslist. I have bought some good glass there and camera gear is relatively easy to check out on the spot. Pawn shops can work well too.

You will need the camera, lens, memory chip/card of some kind. Dont skimp on that. get the fastest pro grade chip you can even if it dosent hold too much. But there days a 32MB chip in prograde can be had for around $50. they were $150 when I last bought them two years ago. The reason is that your camera can only losd photos as fast as the chip will allow. A $200 camera probably wont over run a standard Walmart chip, bit for $50 go for the good stuff.
You will need a computer, you seem to have one already, you will need a card reader to pull the photos off of the chip and into the camera. a good card reader is $15-$20.
You will need some type of processing software to get the most out of the photos. This is the darkroom of the digital age. good photos are developed there.

Boy this went on longer than I intended. Good luck to her. Ga has some good photo opportunities.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 10:05:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Find out what cameras her school uses, and get her a used camera along the similar model. You don't want a really nice camera because many teens haven't quite got the hang of taking care of their equipment, witness the number cracked and damage cell phones.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 9:06:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Aside from maybe some sort of bridge camera that won't really come anywhere near DSLR quality, I can't think of anything that'll get you satisfying results for $200.
View Quote
+1

Triple the budget, sir.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 9:08:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I appreciate the responses so far. I'm starting to see how far behind I am in knowledge of today's technology
View Quote
Camera prices = gun prices.

What sort of gun does one get for $200? A High Point. What sort of gun does one get for $550-600? A Glock, S&W, FN, CZ, etc. IOW, a decent gun.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 5:36:18 PM EDT
[#13]
I shot a major magazine portrait with a canon rebel xti and a kit lens
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top