Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2017 5:49:01 PM EDT
Been into DSLR photography since 2007. Used an XTi for 7 years then made the jump to FF with the 6D. It's served me perfectly up until I had a kid. Now the 11 point AF is just severely holding me back and flat out ruining shots. Unfortunately with no 6DMkii yet I'm forced between the following options...

5DMkiii which isn't really an upgrade since the 6D bests it on image quality but does have a better AF. Still a $2000 expense for a refurbished unit.

5DMkiv which honestly would be amazing in every possible way except price. $3500 is hard to stomach.

7DMkii which has a great AF but I'd really hate to step back into crop sensors as I love wide angle photography and I'd rather not invest in any EF-S mount lenses. $1500

Fuji XT-2 to supplement the 6D as a walking around camera and kid camera. Downside is it's a significant investment to get buy both this and the 16-55 f2.8 ~$3000 after camera, lens and accessories. Then later get the 6DMkii.

Or continue waiting for a 6DMkii, potentially missing out on photos for a Disney trip, birthdays and other events due to a crappy focus and pray Canon doesn't gimp is autofocus like it did the 6D to sell 5D cameras...

Any scenario that replaces the 6D, I could maybe get $700-800 resale on it.

Thoughts? Please don't say Sony or Nikon. They're both great brands just I'm significantly invested in Canon glass. The only reason I'm considering Fuji is because of the performance for its size as well as build quality.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 6:24:51 PM EDT
[#1]
IMO, 11-point AF is something I could still deal with. But I don't shoot sports or much real action.

If that is the stickler, I would just get a 5D3. I don't know of any metrics that say the IQ in the 6D is better than a 5D3. I would assume they're nearly identical. The 5D3 is $2500 new at B&H (US, not grey market).

I highly doubt a 6D Mark II would increase the number of AF points. I'm just going based on the idea that Canon needs to make sure they don't cannibalize 5D-series sales. I figure they'll want to keep the 6D series at a lower AF point count because they'll need some differentiator between a 6D and 5D (and higher).

I think the 5D3 is still a viable option. I have a couple friends who picked up the 5D4 and felt it's not a compelling upgrade. But those guys have the "latest and greatest" mentality. I still run mine and have no reason to get a 5D4 because it does what I need it do. Of course, I wouldn't mind 4K.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 6:45:03 PM EDT
[#2]
A used 1DS Mark III for less than $1,500?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 6:46:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
IMO, 11-point AF is something I could still deal with. But I don't shoot sports or much real action.

If that is the stickler, I would just get a 5D3. I don't know of any metrics that say the IQ in the 6D is better than a 5D3. I would assume they're nearly identical. The 5D3 is $2500 new at B&H (US, not grey market).

I highly doubt a 6D Mark II would increase the number of AF points. I'm just going based on the idea that Canon needs to make sure they don't cannibalize 5D-series sales. I figure they'll want to keep the 6D series at a lower AF point count because they'll need some differentiator between a 6D and 5D (and higher).

I think the 5D3 is still a viable option. I have a couple friends who picked up the 5D4 and felt it's not a compelling upgrade. But those guys have the "latest and greatest" mentality. I still run mine and have no reason to get a 5D4 because it does what I need it do. Of course, I wouldn't mind 4K.
View Quote
One would hope they'd at least bump the 6D AF to 41 like the 5D3. Did the people who upgraded to the 5D4 come from a 5D3 or a 6D? I also don't really have the latest and greatest mentality, given I stuck it out with an XTi for as long as I could bear. And don't get me wrong, for scenic landscapes, sunsets, city photography, vacations, etc, my 6D has been nothing short of phenomenal. It's just been no match for my toddler.

My problem is I like to shoot larget primes f/1.2 - f/1.8 or larger zooms f/2.8. With that much glass, the focus times are reasonable, but slower than you'd like sometimes. With the granularity of the 6D AF, if I'm shooting servo, the chances of it catching an object past my intended target is pretty significant and it'll throw the focus out quite literally 'into the weeds', taking a bit to correct. By then my toddler is off to the races and gone before the focus ever comes back. This forces me into single shot a lot with a 'sit down and please hold still for Dad' requests (laughable I know), and I end up with a fair amount of minorly OOF shots (Nothing any sane person would complain over, but at 100% crop, it's noticeable and sometimes a bit frustrating). The other downside is wide open to something like f/1.2 is just murder on the 6D since you have to force the frame a specific way to end up on a specific focus point otherwise DOF is ruined and you end up with something like a sharp collar and a blurry face. Not impossible with targets that stand still, but with a toddler, even at f/3.2, again it's tough. I have been getting better with practice, but the more I practice, the more I see the limiting factor being my focus, especially after borrowing a number of other cameras with better focus systems. I'm finding myself more frustrated than happy at times with the 6D nowdays and I think when I got to that point, I decided I wanted to change it up.

Also when I was comparing the 6D to the 5D3, low light performance is far better on the 6D, as is IQ to an extent (assuming you can focus )

I hope that explains a bit more where I'm, coming from.

Also I have no issue getting a refurbished 5D3 or even used, it's just one of those things where if you're gonna spend the money, it's hard to justify that much with little to no gain in IQ or features.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 6:49:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
A used 1DS Mark III for less than $1,500?
View Quote
I get enough attention with the 6D, the 1D is huge
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:06:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

One would hope they'd at least bump the 6D AF to 41 like the 5D3. Did the people who upgraded to the 5D4 come from a 5D3 or a 6D? I also don't really have the latest and greatest mentality, given I stuck it out with an XTi for as long as I could bear. And don't get me wrong, for scenic landscapes, sunsets, city photography, vacations, etc, my 6D has been nothing short of phenomenal. It's just been no match for my toddler.
View Quote
Those friends of mine with 5D4 came from the 5D3.

I actually went XTI -> 40D -> 7D -> 5D2 -> 5D3 (and I stayed dual body 7D+5D2 and 5D2+5D3 for awhile).

I will say the 5D2 was a solid camera, but that low light AF was a chore to deal with which is why the 5D3 was such a God-send.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:37:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I just jumped ship from Canon. My reasons were based on size and weight but you might want to look at Sony. I traded my 70D for the a6300 so it was an APSC to APSC swap.

They make very good converters that will let you use your Canon glass on the Sony.

The focus speed on the Sony camera is blazing fast. If you want full frame the full frame Sony are just as fast.

I have been a Canon shooter since the days of the F1,AE-1,A-1 film camera so it was a big leap for me. But I was walking around Cartagena Columbia with 20lbs of camera gear in 100 degree heat and decide I was to old for that . The Sony gear cut my weight down significantly.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 3:44:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I just jumped ship from Canon. My reasons were based on size and weight but you might want to look at Sony. I traded my 70D for the a6300 so it was an APSC to APSC swap.

They make very good converters that will let you use your Canon glass on the Sony.

The focus speed on the Sony camera is blazing fast. If you want full frame the full frame Sony are just as fast.

I have been a Canon shooter since the days of the F1,AE-1,A-1 film camera so it was a big leap for me. But I was walking around Cartagena Columbia with 20lbs of camera gear in 100 degree heat and decide I was to old for that . The Sony gear cut my weight down significantly.
View Quote
Biggest problem with the converters used to be focus speed which kind of defeats the purpose. Has that improved any? I haven't checked in a while.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 9:13:12 AM EDT
[#8]
From my understanding there are a couple of converters that give really good focus speeds. I have not used any of them so no first hand experience. Check some of the Sony alpha forms.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top