Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2017 5:16:38 PM EDT
Looking to pick one up for general extreme use, diving mostly of course. Likely stick with a GoPro 4 as it's the sweetspot but what's the difference between Silver, Black, etc and what accessories are a must?
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 5:31:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Go Pro lost $330,000,000 last year, some say they may not be around next year, they oversold their market and couldn't come up with new upgrades.
May still the best way for you to go but keep in mind repairs and future accessories may be hard to get later.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 6:10:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I would recommend looking on Amazon under action cam and buy you a few of cheaper ones to experiment with them. Just make sure you are getting something that is least can film in 1080p@60 frames per second or FPS. They will get you quality shots for the same price and you can still use GoPro Studio to edit footage just the same.

If you are looking for a quality camera I would look at the Sony FDRX3000 it shoots in 4k and when it comes to camera lenses Sony is considered the one of the best. If that one is a bit pricey then check out the Sony HDR-AS50 it is basically the same camera just without being able to shoot in 4k.

You can use most of the GoPro accessories for the Sony and the cheaper action cameras. With the Sony you might have to use an extra piece or two to make it work.

Total I have 3 Sony camera the Sony FDRX3000, AS-100 & the AS-15. Along with that I have 3 cheaper actions camera that I don't think I paid more than $60 a piece. Good luck with finding a camera.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 6:24:28 PM EDT
[#3]
You buy one thinking you are going to have all this cool footage and edit it into an extreme video... you use it a couple times and realize your life is not that cool and it sits in the closet.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 6:25:52 PM EDT
[#4]
For underwater more than 30FT lights are a must as well as a red filter.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 6:52:06 PM EDT
[#5]
All of the photos in this post, and this post were captured with a Hero 5.  Some are photos, others are stills from video.

These two photo composites were also done with a Hero 5 ...

This one was taken with a Hero 3+ Silver.  But, the Hero 5 is substantially sharper and more detailed than the 3+; I don't know how the 4s compare ...

For the size and weight, I've been quite happy with the capabilities of the Hero 5.  While I haven't used it on my motorcycle, I think the Sony's mechanical IS would edge it out in that aspect.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:17:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Go GoPro. I did.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 12:02:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:19:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Truth, but depending on depth and water condition you may need to alternate lights, filter, both, neither, etc.
View Quote
Yes yes, I know this....I have a few strobes I can use but they're cumbersome. This will be used snorkling, some diving, and action activities. Something more or less, to be used on vacations and the like; I'll still use my Canon DSLR for real stuff.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:27:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You buy one thinking you are going to have all this cool footage and edit it into an extreme video... you use it a couple times and realize your life is not that cool and it sits in the closet.
View Quote
This right here.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:17:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This right here.
View Quote
Main reason I'm not wanting to spend a lot of money on said item. I have an old Intova branded "dive camera" that I've used but the video and still resolution sucks also, it has no Wi-Fi connectivity or ability to transfer to a smart device.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:58:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Main reason I'm not wanting to spend a lot of money on said item. I have an old Intova branded "dive camera" that I've used but the video and still resolution sucks also, it has no Wi-Fi connectivity or ability to transfer to a smart device.
View Quote
Might want to check but I don't believe the gopro wifi works underwater either.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 2:49:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Might want to check but I don't believe the gopro wifi works underwater either.
View Quote
I'm sure it doesn't, why would I want that?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:02:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Go Pro is fling for bankruptcy, look for other options.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:42:44 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a Hero 4 Black. I wanted the higher resolution and frame rates, it also has the "looping" feature so I can use it as a dash cam when the weather is bad and I feel like recording crashes. It also works great for general recording so you don't use all the memory.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:14:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Anyone have the TomTom unit? Seems to get good ratings but have a few quirks.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:08:24 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm a noob to the action cameras. I'm a big fan of Sony as most of their products are top notch. That said can you mount the Sony to a chest rig like a GoPro? How many accessories are out there for GoPro? Are there any gimbals that will work with the Sony?
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 6:06:26 PM EDT
[#17]
I got the Hero 4 Session.  You think you're going to use it a lot more than you do.

Video files are YUUUUGE.  Bigly YUUUUGE.

That said, it does come in useful from time to time.  

Rooster Action Shoot by FredMan, on Flickr

Link Posted: 4/22/2017 6:42:37 PM EDT
[#18]
I bought a Hero 4 Black, rarely used it the form factor wasn't there for me. I later picked up a H-5 Session which is a much smaller square with simple menus I now have two of them. I use it to record USPSA shoots, one sits on my hat the other does a 3rd person view from up range.

The Hero 4 is on the chopping block i'll probably give it to someone in the family, but I don't see myself using it. I do like the sessions though.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 2:10:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Is the new Nikon 360 or 180 an option?
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 10:30:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Sony.

I went with a Sony FDR-X3000 over the GoPro. The Sony comes with a water proof case. I think 60 meters water resistance? Not important for my use, but it's a great little camera. The optical image stabilization is good, and the image quality is really good.

Here's a quick blog post of mine on some reasons I went with the Sony over the GoPro and Garmin camera:

http://www.frayadjacent.net/2017/04/30/sony-fdr-x3000/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top