Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/18/2017 9:11:27 PM EDT
Can't you just do the same thing in Lightroom?
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 11:09:14 PM EDT
[#1]
To my knowledge a circular polarizer can't be duplicated in LR or PS.

Don't know about the other filters.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:21:09 AM EDT
[#2]
ND filters so you can use a larger aperture in brighter light (to achieve desired DOF).
Haze filters to cut down UV light and generally protect the lens (this is open to much debate on both sides, might be the equivalent of 9mm vs 45.....)
Circular polarizer (wish I had remembered it was in my bag on Kauai last week.....)
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:51:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:56:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Neutral Density filters to shoot long exposure or to kill sunlight while using strobes when limited by flash-sync.

Graduated ND for landscapes
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 2:02:35 AM EDT
[#5]
People say you can do Graduated ND in Lightroom, yes... but you cant tell me that I can get the same quality results as with an analog 1.2 Soft edge Grad-ND for shooting lakes at sunset on a long exposure: Like this

10 Stop ND filters cannot be replicated in Photoshop.

Polarized Filters cannot be replicated in Photoshop.

I use Colored filters for black and white color seperation a la Sergey Prokudin Gorsky

UV Filters for the extra layer of protection against drops, dust, smudges, etc.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 2:03:07 AM EDT
[#6]
ND's are the only ones I use as well.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:56:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Yes, alot can be replicated in PS/LR. Sometimes it is easier to do it in post. Sometimes it is easier to do in camera.

Polarizers, ND, and graduated ND cannot be truly replicated in post as they directly alter the light coming in.

The only time I've ever used a clear filter for "protection" was when I shot a paintball game once.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 9:12:42 PM EDT
[#8]
there is no substitute for a ND filter if you want to shoot in fairly bright sunlight at a wider aperture
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 10:35:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes, alot can be replicated in PS/LR. Sometimes it is easier to do it in post. Sometimes it is easier to do in camera.

Polarizers, ND, and graduated ND cannot be truly replicated in post as they directly alter the light coming in.

The only time I've ever used a clear filter for "protection" was when I shot a paintball game once.
View Quote
As much as I argued with Zack about it, I've slowly gone away from them unless it's a spot where there could be damage to the lens.  A few spots I photograph have blowing sand for example.  Beyond that, I've largely ditched them.

I do need to break down and get some ND filters though.  I've never managed to get a polarizing filter to work for me, weirdly enough.  I know the 'how' but I've just never seen them work, despite knowing they do.  Could be that my one was a cheapass one. 
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 2:45:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
People say you can do Graduated ND in Lightroom, yes... but you cant tell me that I can get the same quality results as with an analog 1.2 Soft edge Grad-ND for shooting lakes at sunset on a long exposure: Like this

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Right on the money.

Quoted:
UV Filters for the extra layer of protection against drops, dust, smudges, etc.
If you are going to go this route, a clear filter is a better option than a UV filter.
Low quality filters will reduce the image quality, often quite noticeably.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 4:55:25 AM EDT
[#11]
There is some arguments for using filters, so I am going to include some to show the difference.

Like using an ND filter for the effect..

The above is to get the 'ghost'effect.  You can also use ND for getting a landscape without having people in the shot since the ND allows for loonngg exposures and they people would move without affecting the shot.

And for polarizers whether they are linear or circular would reduce reflections on water, people or whatever.  Below is some example.

Link Posted: 4/23/2017 10:13:51 AM EDT
[#12]
for film? all the time. Skylight 1A or 1B, UV/Haze all the time.
B&W film- I use yellow K2 or Orange for added contrast

Digital? nope, not needed in my book.  The in camera settings can adjust for various effects.

polarizers and neutral density filters are fun to use with film or digital.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top