Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/17/2017 6:50:50 PM EDT
I need a new laptop. Mine is ancient. I use Lightroom and video editing software. What specs should I be considering when shopping for a laptop?
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:17:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a MacBook Pro 13 retna w/ Core i7 2.9 GHz and 8 GB RAM I would not run less than that I do a lot of both photo and video. I was stupid and didn't get the 16GB RAM version, but it works.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 2:15:22 AM EDT
[#2]
You want a minimum of 16 gig of memory and all the CPU horsepower you can get.
Previously, a high-end gaming machine was a good off-the-shelf choice; not sure how all that measures up these days.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 2:52:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Previously, a high-end gaming machine was a good off-the-shelf choice; not sure how all that measures up these days.
View Quote
Pretty much this.  Bare minimum is an i5 and 8-16gb of ram.  I know a pro locally that uses a Surface Pro with maxed out everything and it runs PS and LR without a hiccup.  My i3 is barely sputtering along and needs to be replaced with quickness. 
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:14:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I got a new Thinkpad a month or so ago that works fine;  T460, 12 GB ram, 1 TB SS hard drive, i7 processor.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:20:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Pretty much this.  Bare minimum is an i5 and 8-16gb of ram.  I know a pro locally that uses a Surface Pro with maxed out everything and it runs PS and LR without a hiccup.  My i3 is barely sputtering along and needs to be replaced with quickness. 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't get an i5 processor, get an i7. No hyperthreading with an i5 and it makes a huge difference rendering video.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:32:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought a GoPro 5 several months ago and found out that my 3 year old desktop was not up to the task of editing my videos.

Did a fair amount of research and purchased a new one and it is handling the video editing tasks with no problem.

Basic specs:

i7 6700K Quad core 4 GHz
16 GB DDR4
GTX1070 8G
Windows 10 home 64
240 GB SSD
2 TB 7200 RPM Hard drive.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:41:40 PM EDT
[#7]
As what you  are doing is part of my routine I just bought this:

HP Omen 17 VR Laptop
NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB
Intel i7-7700HQ (4 core/8 thread)
16GB DDR4 2400 RAM
512GB Samsung 961 M.2 NVMe SSD
1TB 7200 RPM
3 USB 3.1 ports  
1 HDMI
1 Displayport 1.2
SD Card reader
802.11 a/c
17.3" 4K (UHD 3840x2160) display
will also drive external 4K display simultaneously  
$1999 on Amazon

So far it's smoking fast. I do need to switch to video rendering software that makes better use of the GPU.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 4:01:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't do video, but I'm on a MacBook Air (at the moment) with an i7 and 8 gig RAM, and it's plenty for photos.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 6:42:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Don't get an i5 processor, get an i7. No hyperthreading with an i5 and it makes a huge difference rendering video.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good to know.  Personally I am aiming for the latest gen i7 or better when I get around to it.  Going to build a 'max everything' PC if I can swing the cash.  Granted that might wait until I get a better camera too.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 10:00:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Good to know.  Personally I am aiming for the latest gen i7 or better when I get around to it.  Going to build a 'max everything' PC if I can swing the cash.  Granted that might wait until I get a better camera too.
View Quote
I just built a system yesterday and while I considered the i5, I ended up going with the i7 (as I was replacing an i7 from 5 years ago).

You also might want to consider the AMD Ryzens. I was damn close to buying one.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 10:17:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I just built a system yesterday and while I considered the i5, I ended up going with the i7 (as I was replacing an i7 from 5 years ago).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll be quite a while before I can afford a build, but I'm planning on going 'oh hey, guys?' when the time comes. 
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:19:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I bought a GoPro 5 several months ago and found out that my 3 year old desktop was not up to the task of editing my videos.

Did a fair amount of research and purchased a new one and it is handling the video editing tasks with no problem.

Basic specs:

i7 6700K Quad core 4 GHz
16 GB DDR4
GTX1070 8G
Windows 10 home 64
240 GB SSD
2 TB 7200 RPM Hard drive.
View Quote
Same thing I'm running into. 4K video from the GoPro and my laptop said no. Even with some video I shot with my iPhone and editing in Shotcut it did a lot of skipping.

Thanks guys. Now I just need to decide laptop or desktop. That and how I'm going to afford it!
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:21:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
As what you  are doing is part of my routine I just bought this:

HP Omen 17 VR Laptop
NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB
Intel i7-7700HQ (4 core/8 thread)
16GB DDR4 2400 RAM
512GB Samsung 961 M.2 NVMe SSD
1TB 7200 RPM
3 USB 3.1 ports  
1 HDMI
1 Displayport 1.2
SD Card reader
802.11 a/c
17.3" 4K (UHD 3840x2160) display
will also drive external 4K display simultaneously  
$1999 on Amazon

So far it's smoking fast. I do need to switch to video rendering software that makes better use of the GPU.
View Quote
Brand name? Link to Amazon page?
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:57:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
HP  

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LZWRP4N?tag=vglnk-c102-20

Desktop will be much cheaper, and if you don't need a 4k display built-in the same laptop is a few hundred less
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 12:56:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
HP  

Desktop will be much cheaper, and if you don't need a 4k display built-in the same laptop is a few hundred less
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

HP  

That does look nice! Im going to compare desktops also.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 4:55:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 8:51:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That does look nice! Im going to compare desktops also.
View Quote
I spend a week a month at a different home, and was using a Microsoft Surface 3 while I was away from my primary desktop, OK for casual work, but when I needed to get stuff done it was just too slow.  I 'll keep the Surface for taking notes at conferences and light travel duties, but nothing beyond that.

If I wasn't traveling I would probably just be updating my desktop in my home office (which I still may do).
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 5:26:23 PM EDT
[#18]
I was talking to the "computer guy" at Best Buy and he recommended a computer with a graphics card, is this really necessary with today's computers?
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 7:26:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I was talking to the "computer guy" at Best Buy and he recommended a computer with a graphics card, is this really necessary with today's computers?
View Quote
If you want anything better than vanilla, then yes.  A lot of the bottleneck in video is rendering (think about it, for 1080p video you're rendering 30 1920x1080 frames every second), and offloading that work to a graphics processor will speed things up.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 11:29:30 PM EDT
[#20]
For actual video editing, you are generally CPU bound, not GPU bound. The rendering taking place is actually the CPU grinding the video clips as you are constantly cutting, splicing, and trying to generate the on-the-fly preview of your resulting edit (before you actually export to the target file). The GPU does help in some regards, and some of the video editing engines (e.g. Adobe Mercury Playback Engine) are trying to take more advantage of GPU during the scrubbing and preview process.

But generally, you need to get the fastest CPU possible (and multiple cores) to get the most return when it comes to video editing.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:04:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
For actual video editing, you are generally CPU bound, not GPU bound. The rendering taking place is actually the CPU grinding the video clips as you are constantly cutting, splicing, and trying to generate the on-the-fly preview of your resulting edit (before you actually export to the target file). The GPU does help in some regards, and some of the video editing engines (e.g. Adobe Mercury Playback Engine) are trying to take more advantage of GPU during the scrubbing and preview process.

But generally, you need to get the fastest CPU possible (and multiple cores) to get the most return when it comes to video editing.
View Quote
QFT. i7 processor minimum, as fast as you can afford.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top