Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2017 4:25:45 AM EDT
Edit:  Mine is a 99% condition (missing accessories) Nikon gen 2 for $220   Shame they didn't have the gen 3 that can focus insanely close, but I'm still happy with it.  Considering chipping it.

So here's the first moon shot from mine.  1:1 crop 1/640 ISO 400 500mm f/8
post was +contrast and clarity

I'm seriously considering ordering a dandelion AF confirmation chip to install in the lens.  Basically it is an AF chip that communicates with the camera and will let it act like a AF lens for focus confirmation (after you set it) in regards to aperture and AF fine tuning.  You can set it to front/back focus when hooked up, etc.

I'll be taking some photos of the lens tomorrow or Monday.   Glass is perfect, but there is some internal schmutz, but at this focal length, it shouldn't really cause any issues.

Link Posted: 4/9/2017 9:20:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I had one of those in the 1980s. Soligor or something like that.  Took pretty good pics, was priceless when I did the East/West German Border patrol. Everybody borrowed it to use with their Canon.
It was a F8 fixed but had two other filters for f11 and f16.

I never tried it with the moon, I didn't know enough back then to give it a go. I wish I still had that thing.  It got crappy when I used it with a 2x converter, but again, I didn't know what I was doing, but it was a lot of fun.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 11:04:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Mirrors can be a cheaper super-tele alternative, but some have issues with optical quality, and weird doughnut reflections in the right conditions.  If you got a good one, and it works for what you want to do with it, keep it and use it. 

Had a chance years ago to buy a Vivitar Series 1 800/11 Perkin-Elmer Solid Cat, for chump change.  I passed on the deal.  The 600/8 and 800/11 solid cats are much pricier now, unless it's broke or someone really doesn't know what they have. 
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 3:28:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mirrors can be a cheaper super-tele alternative, but some have issues with optical quality, and weird doughnut reflections in the right conditions.  If you got a good one, and it works for what you want to do with it, keep it and use it. 

Had a chance years ago to buy a Vivitar Series 1 800/11 Perkin-Elmer Solid Cat, for chump change.  I passed on the deal.  The 600/8 and 800/11 solid cats are much pricier now, unless it's broke or someone really doesn't know what they have. 
View Quote
I've always wanted one just for the hell of it really.  Came across this one at a camera shop on my trip to Seattle, and at $220 after tax (and as a birthday present from a cousin) in 99% condition, I can't complain.  Oddly enough, I really like the donut bokeh that they make.

I'll probably be calling around to see how much it'll cost to get deep cleaned by Nikon or something to get dust out of it.  Yeah, I know a little bit won't hurt optical quality.  Just neurotic about it.  But, I'd like to get it cleaned up before adding an af confirmation chip to the lens.  Not sure how Nikon would take that.

Figure I'm trying to find all the factory accessories, despite knowing I likely won't use them.  Just to complete the set really.  That or just buy a complete set for the hell of it, and use this lens as a work lens.  I'll be trying it out on geese later this week hopefully.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 4:13:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I've always wanted one just for the hell of it really.  Came across this one at a camera shop on my trip to Seattle, and at $220 after tax (and as a birthday present from a cousin) in 99% condition, I can't complain.  Oddly enough, I really like the donut bokeh that they make.

I'll probably be calling around to see how much it'll cost to get deep cleaned by Nikon or something to get dust out of it.  Yeah, I know a little bit won't hurt optical quality.  Just neurotic about it.  But, I'd like to get it cleaned up before adding an af confirmation chip to the lens.  Not sure how Nikon would take that.

Figure I'm trying to find all the factory accessories, despite knowing I likely won't use them.  Just to complete the set really.  That or just buy a complete set for the hell of it, and use this lens as a work lens.  I'll be trying it out on geese later this week hopefully.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Nikon versions weren't bad as I recall.  Probably better than current cheap versions.  Finding any of the older better quality mirrors in excellent condition with all of the accessories tends to drive the prices up.

I figured the 800/11 would be good for moon images since I like doing that a lot.  But there were issues with the large lens not mounting well on some DSLRs - it would hit the front of the viewfinder and cause alignment issues.  Of course this was before mirrorless.  Now I would like one just to mount in front of something like a Fuji X-E2.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 4:36:10 PM EDT
[#5]
So I lit the lens up with some photo lights (I was taking photos of a lens I'm selling earlier) and holy crap there is a lot of dust internally.  Still takes good images, but yeah I think I want to see about getting it cleaned.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 7:29:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Just pulled a shot from my trip off the camera.  Other than some contrast/color tweaks and a crop, it's as off camera.

1/1000 (to minimize shake) ISO 2000 fixed F/8

Link Posted: 4/9/2017 11:09:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 11:21:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Email me that raw. I'd be willing to bet there's enough hidden detail there to impress you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just pulled a shot from my trip off the camera.  Other than some contrast/color tweaks and a crop, it's as off camera.

1/1000 (to minimize shake) ISO 2000 fixed F/8

http://img03.deviantart.net/8105/i/2017/099/4/e/random_bird_by_aknorthpolar-db593hq.jpg
Email me that raw. I'd be willing to bet there's enough hidden detail there to impress you.
I could probably get you a Dropbox link, but no way to email the full file. But I am interested to see what you can do. 
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 11:54:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 12:20:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Whatever works I suppose
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I could probably get you a Dropbox link, but no way to email the full file. But I am interested to see what you can do. 
Whatever works I suppose
As stupid as it is, my email will time out when trying to upload a file, but dropbox can handle it fine.  Expect a PM here in a minute or two with a DB link.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 1:04:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 6:49:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Well it was at 2000iso. I do underexposed by .7 to 1 full stop on purpose btw. Thanks for giving it a crack though. 
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 3:10:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 8:15:20 PM EDT
[#14]
So, I'm not kidding when I say this.  I completely disassembled and dry cleaned the lens.  I purposely did not wet clean the interior mirror and lens surfaces, as I don't have something that could reach without potentially getting stuff dragged elsewhere on the lens.  Considering the threaded body section is greased, I felt it was a good decision.

Going to run out and buy two new screws for the tripod mount and try photos with the new "cleaner" lens.

That said, if it was a regular lens, there is no way in holy fuck I'd have done this.  The only reason I did this lens is that catadioptric lenses are incredibly simple.  In this case, it is essentially two tubes with mirrors and lenses affixed, that thread into each other.  The rest of the components are for cosmetics or rough alignment.  Basically I took off the assembly that attaches to the camera, the knurled collar that has an arrow for the rangefinder, the collar with range markings, knurled 'grip' section, then unscrewed the two lens modules.  Couple blasts with a rocket blower, and reassemble.

Naturally, I marked all parts with a paint pen as they were taken off to indicate position and alignment with other parts.  Then removed said marks with a wipe afterwards.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 7:18:16 PM EDT
[#15]
So the lens is pretty damn sharp once you get used to it.  I like the little lens a lot 
Took this at barely within the minimum focus distance.  And yes, I do realize that the reflections show my deck and snow.  Figured they added character to it, vs grabbing a reflector or foamcore.

1/500 ISO 320

Link Posted: 5/26/2017 2:09:03 AM EDT
[#16]
I had one of these about 25 years ago.......used it for sports......finally sold it because of the "circles" any out of focus circles in the background become "doughnuts"     distracting from the main image, I didn't realize they still made these things
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 2:14:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I had one of these about 25 years ago.......used it for sports......finally sold it because of the "circles" any out of focus circles in the background become "doughnuts"     distracting from the main image, I didn't realize they still made these things
View Quote
They don't.  Haven't been made in years, I just lucked into one at a shop outside Seattle for cheap.  I don't mind the donuts though, I think it's kinda neat to be honest.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top