Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/7/2017 5:36:00 PM EDT
Shiny.  We should know this upcoming week. Possible to hear about the 850 and 760 as well. There are 2 mirror less in the works as well. 

Unconfirmed specs:
  • 20MP sensor from the Nikon D500
  • ISO range: 100 - 51,200
  • 4K video
  • 51 points AF
  • 8 fps
  • Tilt screen
  • SnapBridge
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 5:40:30 PM EDT
[#1]
This is a crop sensor right?  Basically the D500 with all those consumer scene modes?  And maybe a built-in IR receiver for the cheap shutter remote?

ETA, looks like the command dial has two wheels like the 7100/7200.

Tilt screen doesn't do much for me but some folks love it.  I have come to sort of like the touch screen on the D500, though, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

If they offer this body at somewhere around $1k and it has framerates like the D500 it's going to be a fast mover.

It's almost going to have to have an IR receiver because I don't see a 10-pin connector in the usual spot.

And looks like they kept a built-in flash, good for the consumer market.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 5:57:03 PM EDT
[#2]
D500 lite

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 6:10:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I have the D7000 and this would be a nice upgrade. I do like the handy articulated screen on my D750 so that would be a plus.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 6:43:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is a crop sensor right?  Basically the D500 with all those consumer scene modes?  And maybe a built-in IR receiver for the cheap shutter remote?

ETA, looks like the command dial has two wheels like the 7100/7200.

Tilt screen doesn't do much for me but some folks love it.  I have come to sort of like the touch screen on the D500, though, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

If they offer this body at somewhere around $1k and it has framerates like the D500 it's going to be a fast mover.

It's almost going to have to have an IR receiver because I don't see a 10-pin connector in the usual spot.

And looks like they kept a built-in flash, good for the consumer market.
View Quote
It is a continuation of the D7200 line, so that is the body style and control layout that will continue.
Around $1000 sounds about right.
It will NOT have the frame rate of the D500, probably 8 fps at best.
No 10-pin port, that is only on the pro-body models.
The consumer-config bodies will always have the built-in flash.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 12:44:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 2:51:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I molested a D500 at Glazer's yesterday with my 24-120 f4 lens.
Damn good camera.  Damn fast camera.  That's probably my next body at tax time next year.

The D7500 doesn't bring enough to the party for me.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 1:12:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 1:27:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 10:56:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Moving from the D90 to the D500 was a night and day difference when shooting kids doing Taekwondo in poorly lit facilities (or, those that are poorly lit for photography). It is also a spectacular upgrade for indoor youth basketball (similar lighting challenges).

While I could have gotten by upgrading to the 7200, my wife talked me into buying a new cutting-edge camera instead of the 2 year-old model refurbs that have been my last two DSLRs. I have to say, the interface is very different between the lines, but in ways you don't first realize.

-shooter
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 3:25:30 PM EDT
[#10]
The below is snagged from Nikon Rumors.  They have a complete D7200, D7500, D500 spec chart here
  • no Ai coupling (no support for non-CPU lenses)
  • new tilt screen
  • new touch screen
  • single SD memory card slot (just UHS-I, no support for UHS-II)
  • no vertical grip option (no contact on the bottom of the camera)
  • new neck strap holders
  • lighter than the D7200
  • battery life went down to 950 shots (the D7200 had 1,110)
  • new highlight-weighted metering.
  • 8 fps (up to 50 14-bit lossless compressed RAW frames)
  • Snapbridge
  • LCD screen resolution went down to 922,000 dots (the D7200 had 1,228,800 dots)
  • no NFC (the D7200 had NFC)
  • Expeed 5
  • US pricing: $1,249.95 (body only), $1,749.95 (lens kit)
  • no possibility to add a battery grip

Positives:
  • faster processor (D7500 Expeed 5 vs D7200 Expeed 4)
  • better metering
  • better WB
  • improved AF accuracy (better subject recognition and tracking)
  • improved AE
  • improved flicker reduction (artificial lighting)
  • improved Active D-Lighting
  • highlight-weighted metering mode option
  • group AF option added for Advanced Multi-CAM 3500 II AF
  • better/deeper grip
  • slightly lighter by 35g
  • improved weather sealing
  • ISO button positioned near the shutter button (like the D500)
  • rear screen is now tilting
  • rear screen a touch screen (touch AF and touch shutter on live view)
  • higher 8fps 50 RAW frames buffer (vs D7200 6fps 18 RAW buffer)
  • auto AF Fine (In LV, to auto calibrate autofocus with specific lenses)
  • 4K video (at 2.25x 35mm FOV)
  • in-camera 4Ktime-laps video
  • 1080p HD video can now use Active D-Lighting
  • power aperture support for video
  • zebra stripes for highlight checking in Live View Video Mode
  • better separated left and right microphone position
  • bigger front IR port
  • auto Picture Control (analyzes scene for better tone curve)
  • Bluetooth and WiFi (vs just WiFi)
  • shutter rated for 150k shots
  • shutter monitor auto adjust shutter speeds to keep these accurate
  • in-camera Batch Process RAW converter
Neutral:
  • uses D500 21mp sensor (some minus, some plus)
  • still the same 51-point Advanced Multi-CAM3500 II AF
  • SD card still does not support UHS-IImedia (like the D7200)
  • re-positioned camera strap lugs
Missed:
  • still no Focus Peaking support in Live View
  • no separate AF joystick (like the D500 and the D5)
Negative:
  • $50 increase in list price (USD $1,250 vs $1,200)
  • single SD slot (compared to the D7200 twin SD slot)
  • slightly lower resolution for the rear screen (922k vs 1.2M dot LCD)
  • lower number of shots per battery charge (950 vs 1110)
  • no NFC feature (which the D7200 had)
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 3:38:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You will love the D500, but only if you actually need the 10fps, endless buffer, and bitching autofocus.

Fast action or birds in flight.

Otherwise, a D7100, D7200 etc will serve just fine and actually give better image quality. The D500 is a speed demon and can produce some good images, but the 7200 has a higher resolution and yeah, pixels do matter to a certain extent.

D500 is a smidge better in low light or when you are running high shutter speeds and have to crank the ISO, but not enough to make that a purchasing decision on its own.

The D500 is a damn fine camera when used for what it's intended for, but as a general use camera, there are better DX alternatives.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Damn good camera.  Damn fast camera.  That's probably my next body at tax time next year.

You will love the D500, but only if you actually need the 10fps, endless buffer, and bitching autofocus.

Otherwise, a D7100, D7200 etc will serve just fine and actually give better image quality. The D500 is a speed demon and can produce some good images, but the 7200 has a higher resolution and yeah, pixels do matter to a certain extent.

D500 is a smidge better in low light or when you are running high shutter speeds and have to crank the ISO, but not enough to make that a purchasing decision on its own.

The D500 is a damn fine camera when used for what it's intended for, but as a general use camera, there are better DX alternatives.
D7100 isn't going anywhere.  It's a fine camera for portraits of the furbabies and general photography.
The puny buffer rears it's ugly head when shooting any action in RAW.  I end up doing double taps or lowering the frame rate.
A D500 and the 70-200 would be an awesome combo for action.

FWIW a new D7500 is priced identical to a refurb D500.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 5:50:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Here is some impressions from Ken Rockwell, some people hate him, some people love him; anything any body says should verified with other reviews.

Nikon D7500 - 21 MP DX, 8 FPS, 4K, Touch Flip LCD
This new Nikon D7500 is a fantastic combination of the ultra high speed imaging guts of the D500 in the more practical body of the previous D7200.

The Nikon D7500 has the image sensor, light meter and processor of the top-of-the-line DX Nikon D500 and keeps the D7200's body, mode dial and AF system and adds Bluetooth, 4K video and a flipping touch LCD.

The D7500 has the D500's same crazy expanded ISO 50 ~ 1,638,400 range, and bumps frame rate to 8 FPS from the D7200's 6 FPS, while it retains the D7200's superior mode dial with two programmable presets I find necessary for real-world photography, all for a very minor premium over the price of the old D7200.
View Quote
ETA: Personally for me, I will be saving my money for a Nikon 18-300 f5.6 lens to be used with my ancient D5200 and D7100.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 9:27:21 PM EDT
[#13]
single SD memory card slot (just UHS-I, no support for UHS-II)
View Quote
This is just plain stupid.  Dual card slots make so much more sense.

But I guess their target market really doesn't care?
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 11:39:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
This is just plain stupid. Dual card slots make so much more sense.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
single SD memory card slot (just UHS-I, no support for UHS-II)
This is just plain stupid. Dual card slots make so much more sense.

If I had a nickle for every time I ran off and left a card in my computer after editing I'd have a D5.

A single card slot is a big step backwards.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 12:06:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 1:12:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

If I had a nickle for every time I ran off and left a card in my computer after editing I'd have a D5.

A single card slot is a big step backwards.
View Quote
Ditto on that, been there, done that.

Now I transfer the contents to a flash driver, and also create a backup, saved my bacon a few times. You can never have too many backups. And also carry a spare blank memory card with me.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 1:18:30 PM EDT
[#17]
As someone on another forum pointed out, the D7500 is probably not designed to complete with other Nikon cameras, but rather, the EOS 80D.  And the D7500 wins big, when it comes to the important specs.  Better AF with more points (51 vs 45), higher frame rate (8 vs 7), higher ISO rating (51,200 vs 16,000), and better video (4K vs 2K).  Plus, they both use a single UHS-I card slot.

I can't imagine Nikon would want to build a DX camera that would take sales away from the flagship D500.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 9:10:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
D7100 isn't going anywhere.  It's a fine camera for portraits of the furbabies and general photography.
The puny buffer rears it's ugly head when shooting any action in RAW.  I end up doing double taps or lowering the frame rate.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As much as I like my D7100 (takes some great pictures) the buffer on that model is pathetic.  I think I may need to pickup a used/refurbed D7200 as I'm otherwise good to go otherwise with the 7100
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top