Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/3/2017 9:08:00 AM EDT
I was pretty well sold on a Canon T7i, 70D, or T6s (if the top mount LCD is worth it).  But further reading suggests I could grab an older Nikon body and 2 lenses for about the same price.  I want an all-around setup for city shots/outdoors mostly, as I plan to use it traveling.  Most of the kits I've seen come with an 18-55 lens.  Is it worth skipping the bundled stuff and grabbing separate lenses, one for basic shots, one with more zoom?

I'm open to any suggestions, would like WiFi capability and 1080HD video, and to keep everything under the 1k mark...
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 11:37:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I am a Videographer since 2007.

Canon has gone from the best innovator in the industry....

..... To total let downs stuck in 2009

Heres why:

-Junk Video Codec. They essentially took the cheapest cell-phone h264 encoder and slapped in thier DSLRs (except their 1dx and 1Dc). Looks like blurry crap.

-Anti-aliasing filters, this started on the 5Diii and is one of the dummest moves they made. Sharpness and detail plummet just to avoid some negligable aliasing. Some older ones don't have it.

-Didn't offer 4K when competitors were, and for cheaper.

.................. So .................

If stills are all you care about, could get an old 30d and a 50 prime lens.

If you want excellent stills and video cheap, get a GH2 from Panasonic and a 25 prime lens

If you want unbelievable stills and video, get a GH5 or a sony A7Sii (pricey)
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 12:01:12 PM EDT
[#2]
2 big things for me is a swivel screen and a card reader on the side.

I picked up a refurbished T5 with 2 lenses and it was pretty good. I picked up a refurbished Lens a few weeks ago and it was filthy.

Rumor has it that canon has a loyalty program, trade in an old canon camera and get 20% off of a refurbished camera (possibly lenses too).

Find a $5 point and shoot and use it when you decide to buy.

Do the math and figure out how much the lenses sell for used and see if its worth picking up the lenses to sell or not. An additional 20$ for a 100$ lens to sell on craigslist might be worth it.

Honestly though, I would take a T3i or T6i over a T5 or T6.

For an entry level camera a refurbished wouldnt be bad. Buying a high end camera to make money with, buy new.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 12:12:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
2 big things for me is a swivel screen and a card reader on the side.

I picked up a refurbished T5 with 2 lenses and it was pretty good. I picked up a refurbished Lens a few weeks ago and it was filthy.

Rumor has it that canon has a loyalty program, trade in an old canon camera and get 20% off of a refurbished camera (possibly lenses too).

Find a $5 point and shoot and use it when you decide to buy.

Do the math and figure out how much the lenses sell for used and see if its worth picking up the lenses to sell or not. An additional 20$ for a 100$ lens to sell on craigslist might be worth it.

Honestly though, I would take a T3i or T6i over a T5 or T6.

For an entry level camera a refurbished wouldnt be bad. Buying a high end camera to make money with, buy new.
View Quote
Eh a newer smartphone takes better video than a T3i

The T3i only uses 1/8th of the pixel readout for video

It scans one color, of one pixel of video, and dismisses the rest of the sensor (Bayering)

T6i I duno I gave up on canon a long time ago lol...

.... They had the nerve to market the T5i to videographers (it was an absolute joke)
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 12:39:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Interesting info RealFitness86.  This won't be for making movies, but good to know Canon full HD may not be everything's it's advertised to be.

carpesignum I like the idea of the swivel screen also.  Maybe I'll keep looking at the T6i/s bodies and lenses from somewhere else.  Being able to trade in something for a discount would be pretty huge too.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 12:39:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Eh a newer smartphone takes better video than a T3i

The T3i only uses 1/8th of the pixel readout for video

It scans one color, of one pixel of video, and dismisses the rest of the sensor (Bayering)

T6i I duno I gave up on canon a long time ago lol...

.... They had the nerve to market the T5i to videographers (it was an absolute joke)
View Quote
How about Nikon?  More features with less lies?  Or are they all the same
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 12:43:18 PM EDT
[#6]
For a new shooter don't go expensive.  Accessories costs a lot.  So just pick a model that works for you and go out.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 1:32:07 PM EDT
[#7]
After doing some research and wanting a camera for a lot of the same reasons as you i went with a canon refurb. I got a 7d mk ii with an 18-135 efs, 50 stm, and 55-250 efs for around 1500. If the camera and lenses were ever used i cant tell. I purchased direct through canon and it comes with a 1 year warranty.  

Watch the canon refurb prices they frequently have sales.

This would have everything you asked for but is a little more expensive. On sale for 1250 now.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-80d-ef-s-18-135mm-f-3-5-5-6-is-usm-kit-refurbished

I have been really happy with that 18-135 lens. It focuses silently  (good for video) and instantly. I ended up getting a faster 35mm prime for indoor low light situations.

I have found the newest versions of the efs lenses to be very good. They all have very effective image stabilization and on my lenses the auto focus is very accurate and fast. For the price i think they are very hard to beat. In my opinion your skill with the camera and ability to edit is going to make a much bigger difference than an efs vs L lens.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 2:17:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I forgot, rumor bouncing around was that walmart was running a sale on the t6 2 lens package for $250 at select walmarts, the one near me had them for 350. something to check out. good deals on nikons too.

I went with canon because a few of my friends were shooting canons, after that I stuck with them because it was what I knew. Nikon might be better, I havent looked into it. (i do like nikon glass)

Get an entry level camera and play with it, should be able to sell it for close to what you have into it.

After a camera pick up a nice tripod a few filters and a remote. Shoot a whole bunch before you figure out what lenses you want to get or opting for a more expensive body.  The rebel series are super light, along with the EF-S lenses, and they are cheap enough to not worry about dropping/beating up (great for hiking, camping, kids, etc).
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 4:12:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

How about Nikon?  More features with less lies?  Or are they all the same
View Quote
Well Nikon doesn't even pretend to be about video lol so they are more honest in that regard.

The last Nikon I used was a D800 and it had the yellow/green issue that Nikon is known for (yes even with correct WB settings)

Going by experience with:

XH-A1
HG10
HG20
20D
5d Mark ii
T3i
GH2
GH3
GH4
A6300

... And of all of these, I was most impressed with the Panasonics. I saw a $500 Panasonic outperform a $3000 5d mark iii and was roughly on-par with a $12000 1Dc

The Sony A6300 and A7sii are better then Panasonic but dramatically more expensive.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 6:39:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I was pretty well sold on a Canon T7i, 70D, or T6s (if the top mount LCD is worth it).  But further reading suggests I could grab an older Nikon body and 2 lenses for about the same price.  I want an all-around setup for city shots/outdoors mostly, as I plan to use it traveling.  Most of the kits I've seen come with an 18-55 lens.  Is it worth skipping the bundled stuff and grabbing separate lenses, one for basic shots, one with more zoom?

I'm open to any suggestions, would like WiFi capability and 1080HD video, and to keep everything under the 1k mark...
View Quote

All of the lower-end DSLRs from both Nikon and Canon are good cameras and will certainly get the job done for you.
The best thing you can do is get to a store where you can handle the cameras to see which one feels the best in YOUR hands. I like the Nikons for the better ergonomics; others choose the Canons for the same reasons.

Contrary to popular myths, today's kit lenses from both Canon and Nikon are actually good lenses; obviously not up to the same standards as the pro lenses with the pro prices, but better than the urban myths tell you.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 5:50:05 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm travelling right now, so I'm not going to type out a big thing on my iPhone lol. 

Refurbs are a good thing. You can get some amazing deals that way. That said, in crop sensor cameras, Nikon is the king of the heap for image performance. Canon may have market share, but they've stagnated a bit the last few years. 

Depending where you are, mirrorless isn't quite done baking yet. A lot of downsides to the system in my personal opinion, and from 5-6 professionals I know  that have gone to high end mirrorless and switched back within 6 months. 

Biggest thing to remember is that you're buying into the lens system, not the camera body. Nikon tends to have better refurb deals, while canon has the used market.

What is the intended use, and what is your budget OP? 
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 7:44:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm travelling right now, so I'm not going to type out a big thing on my iPhone lol. 

Refurbs are a good thing. You can get some amazing deals that way. That said, in crop sensor cameras, Nikon is the king of the heap for image performance. Canon may have market share, but they've stagnated a bit the last few years. 

Depending where you are, mirrorless isn't quite done baking yet. A lot of downsides to the system in my personal opinion, and from 5-6 professionals I know  that have gone to high end mirrorless and switched back within 6 months. 

Biggest thing to remember is that you're buying into the lens system, not the camera body. Nikon tends to have better refurb deals, while canon has the used market.

What is the intended use, and what is your budget OP? 
View Quote
I have a lot of travel planned with my s/o for the end of the year so city shooting/architecture will be the primary use.  I'd like to keep body and lenses at 1k or under.  Wondering if a 18-70 and a 35mm prime would be a good all-around setup.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 1:46:53 AM EDT
[#13]
I don't really have internet access to try to look up stuff. I'll be home Saturday and will see what I can do. 
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 8:05:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I don't really have internet access to try to look up stuff. I'll be home Saturday and will see what I can do. 
View Quote
Appreciate it!
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 11:38:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

All of the lower-end DSLRs from both Nikon and Canon are good cameras and will certainly get the job done for you.
View Quote
For stills only........
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 11:45:58 AM EDT
[#16]
The best "all-around" lens I own in the Nikon world is my 18-140. If I had to have "one lens" - that would be the one. I think you could get a refurb D7200 and an 18-140 and be right around your budget- if not under.

That is a LOT of camera for the money.

I have had tremendous luck buying Nikon refurbs, including a D70 (that finally died when a newphew dropped it) a D90 (that is still my back-up), and some lenses.

-shooter
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 4:51:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The best "all-around" lens I own in the Nikon world is my 18-140. If I had to have "one lens" - that would be the one. I think you could get a refurb D7200 and an 18-140 and be right around your budget- if not under.

That is a LOT of camera for the money.

I have had tremendous luck buying Nikon refurbs, including a D70 (that finally died when a nephew dropped it) a D90 (that is still my back-up), and some lenses.

-shooter
View Quote
Same here.  I rarely buy new camera kit.  Used from a reputable source or refurbished.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 4:18:06 PM EDT
[#18]
OP, I was in your shoes a few short years ago. While others here offer a variety of good advice, allow me to add mine.

1) Stick with Nikon. Lots of options with this brand, lots of upgrades, lots of accessories, etc. They make camera lenses, scopes, spotting scopes, binoculars, etc. They KNOW optics, IOW.

2) Haunt the Nikon web site's refurbished page. Good deals there.

3) Haunt B&H Camera's web site. Great pricing & often free shipping.

4) Do NOT impulse buy! This WILL bite you in the ass.

5) Don't buy off brand stuff. Not worth it. I don't mean Sigma but no-name brands.

6) Get copies of magazines like Digital Photography & read EVERYTHING, including the ads.

7) If you see someone with a nice rig somewhere, ask them questions. Ask what they would do different now versus then.

8) Don't always believe the sales guy. He's there to make money, not friends.

Hope this helps!
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 5:34:53 PM EDT
[#19]
@NoVar  Sorry for taking a couple extra days.  Not sure why, but I was freaking exhausted after my trip.  Finally back on my feet...ish.

Anyhow, this is what I'd personally recommend:

D7200 refurb $760
D7100 refurb $580

I'm not really coming up with any big deals on lenses, refurb or not though.  I'll keep looking through the week.  Remember that you'll need to budget money for SD cards, etc though.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 7:22:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Thanks @BobCole and @NorthPolar for your comments, much appreciated!

To you both, and @shooter220 as well, if I pick up an 18-140 as the do-it-all lens, is it still worth having a 35mm or other prime?  Or for my use and skill level the 18-140 will cover my bases?
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 10:16:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

To you both, and @shooter220 as well, if I pick up an 18-140 as the do-it-all lens, is it still worth having a 35mm or other prime?  Or for my use and skill level the 18-140 will cover my bases?
View Quote

Part of me says, "Everybody needs a Nifty-Fifty" - but I will be perfectly candid and say I haven't replaced the one I gave away about 10 years ago. I SHOULD replace it, but when I look at my pictures from a zoom I rarely think, "Man, that could be so much better...". I also try to minimize lens changes because I travel with two boys who require a fair amount of attention and make me more prone to have "accidents" - so I find myself shooting zooms exclusively.

All that said, it is TOUGH to replace the sharpness of a good prime shooting wide open (or close).

If I were prioritizing though, with a budget in mind - I would get a good zoom, get comfortable with the camera, and THEN start shopping to expand your lens arsenal.

-shooter
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 4:27:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Personally I use the hell out of my 50mm f/1.8, but it all comes down to the person.  Btw OP, I know it's a 75mm equivalent, but there is a good condition 50mm in the EE here for $120
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 4:38:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Part of me says, "Everybody needs a Nifty-Fifty" - but I will be perfectly candid and say I haven't replaced the one I gave away about 10 years ago. I SHOULD replace it, but when I look at my pictures from a zoom I rarely think, "Man, that could be so much better...". I also try to minimize lens changes because I travel with two boys who require a fair amount of attention and make me more prone to have "accidents" - so I find myself shooting zooms exclusively.

All that said, it is TOUGH to replace the sharpness of a good prime shooting wide open (or close).

If I were prioritizing though, with a budget in mind - I would get a good zoom, get comfortable with the camera, and THEN start shopping to expand your lens arsenal.

-shooter
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

-shooter
This is the zoom you should take a good look at.  It's a good one.  Nothing wrong with used if you trust the seller.
This lens turns up as a refurb from time to time.
Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 5:34:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
This is the zoom you should take a good look at.  It's a good one.  Nothing wrong with used if you trust the seller.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

-shooter
Best Nikon telephoto under $1000 and my most used lens IMO.  Amazon Prime has a refurb for $365, one in stock.  Just have to go into the buying options.  If I'm buying electronics from Amazon, I make sure it is Prime.  You get their warranty plus Nikon's.

Amazon Product
  • 70-300mm telephoto zoom lens with f/4.5-5.6 maximum aperture for Nikon digital SLR cameras
  • Internal Focus (IF) system provides fast and quiet autofocusing; 4.9-feet Minimum focus range, Focal Length Range : 70 -300 mm
  • Vibration Reduction (VRII) minimizes effects of camera shake to produce sharper images

That said, it can focus incredibly close and still has a hell of a reach.  First photo was ~15 feet, and the second was ~1.89 miles 

Link Posted: 4/11/2017 5:45:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Best Nikon telephoto under $1000 and my most used lens IMO.  Amazon Prime has a refurb for $365, one in stock.  Just have to go into the buying options.  If I'm buying electronics from Amazon, I make sure it is Prime.  You get their warranty plus Nikon's.

www.amazon.com/dp/B000HJPK2CThat said, it can focus incredibly close and still has a hell of a reach.  First photo was ~15 feet, and the second was ~1.89 miles 

http://pre06.deviantart.net/a16a/th/pre/i/2017/070/5/a/alaska_state_sno_x_2017_by_aknorthpolar-db20jba.jpg
http://orig09.deviantart.net/aadc/f/2017/099/6/1/space_by_aknorthpolar-db593bj.jpg
View Quote
Being an FX ie full frame lens it will go with you if you decide to go to a full frame camera.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 5:49:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Being an FX ie full frame lens it will go with you if you decide to go to a full frame camera.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

www.amazon.com/dp/B000HJPK2CThat said, it can focus incredibly close and still has a hell of a reach.  First photo was ~15 feet, and the second was ~1.89 miles 

http://pre06.deviantart.net/a16a/th/pre/i/2017/070/5/a/alaska_state_sno_x_2017_by_aknorthpolar-db20jba.jpg
http://orig09.deviantart.net/aadc/f/2017/099/6/1/space_by_aknorthpolar-db593bj.jpg
That too.  I try to make all of my lens purchases FX ones.  Simply so they are compatable like that for when I get a FX body.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 9:34:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Great info guys, I really appreciate it.  How does an FX lens compare to DX on a non-full size camera?  I see both FX and DX F-mount lenses out there.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 9:41:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 9:41:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Great info guys, I really appreciate it.  How does an FX lens compare to DX on a non-full size camera?  I see both FX and DX F-mount lenses out there.
View Quote
FX will work on both with no image cropping or weird effects.  DX lenses only work 100% on DX bodies.  On a FX body, it ends up cropping the difference out, essentially turning it into a DX body.  FX lenses are (at least in my experience) designed a bit more robustly as well.  So for the slight price difference on the ones I've bought, why not.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 8:54:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Ok so:

D7200 Refurb - $789 (BHPhoto), $782 Amazon
Nikon AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED Lens (FX) - $496 new, $349 used (Adorama)

So a little over 1k, but a setup to grow on with the features I want.

It looks like I could save money on the lens if I got one without the VR stabilization, but more ruggedness doesn't sound like a bad idea for spending more money.

How do I know if I'm getting a certified refurb and not a grey market camera?  Are Adorama and BHP where I should be looking?  Or are there other places?  It seems like I might have to be more careful scrutinizing the descriptions on Amazon than the other 2.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 9:15:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Ok so:

D7200 Refurb - $789 (BHPhoto), $782 Amazon
Nikon AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED Lens (FX) - $496 new, $349 used (Adorama)

So a little over 1k, but a setup to grow on with the features I want.

It looks like I could save money on the lens if I got one without the VR stabilization, but more ruggedness doesn't sound like a bad idea for spending more money.

How do I know if I'm getting a certified refurb and not a grey market camera?  Are Adorama and BHP where I should be looking?  Or are there other places?  It seems like I might have to be more careful scrutinizing the descriptions on Amazon than the other 2.
View Quote
If it is a Nikon certified shop like Adorama, B&H, KEH, etc it won't be grey market unless it's listed as such.  Buying from Amazon, I immediately call Nikon CS and verify the SN of the part.  That way it can go back directly if it isn't genuine.

Btw, there is a huge difference between the VR and non VR lens.  Different bodies, internal differences, etc.  The loss in performance is more than you'd save by going cheaper.  Lenses are like rifle scopes.  Don't cheap out because it'll bite you on the ass.  The 70-300 VR and D7200 is a mean combination.  F/9 is peak sharpness across the zoom range btw.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 11:40:26 PM EDT
[#32]
On a DX camera, that is a whole lot of magnification on the low end to be your only lens. I would pick up a 50 (or wider) to go with it...

-shooter
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 11:17:10 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

If it is a Nikon certified shop like Adorama, B&H, KEH, etc it won't be grey market unless it's listed as such.  Buying from Amazon, I immediately call Nikon CS and verify the SN of the part.  That way it can go back directly if it isn't genuine.

Btw, there is a huge difference between the VR and non VR lens.  Different bodies, internal differences, etc.  The loss in performance is more than you'd save by going cheaper.  Lenses are like rifle scopes.  Don't cheap out because it'll bite you on the ass.  The 70-300 VR and D7200 is a mean combination.  F/9 is peak sharpness across the zoom range btw.
View Quote
Can you explain?

After further reading...

Refurb D7200
Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX NIKKOR
2nd lens option to round things out that is less expensive than the 70-300VR?

Wondering if I can compromise a little here to keep on budget.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 11:29:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 1:50:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
If you're looking for a zoom that's on the longer end, that 70-300VR is about the best you'll find. The 70-300 non VR (older one) and the 55-200 are not near as good of performers.

And what he was talking about is generally speaking, that lens performs best at f/9 no matter the zoom level it's set to. To expand on this - most lenses gain a bit of sharpness once they've been stopped down a bit. Some like a bit more than others. Others are designed for max sharpness (or awful close to it) at wide open. Example - the 80-400 zoom I had before I got the 400mm I have now, it was plenty sharp at f/5.6, sharp enough that I often didn't feel the need to stop it down to f/8. There was some improvement to be had, but not enough to suffer the light loss.

My 400mm on the other hand, it's sharp enough to cut you wide open at f/2.8. Stopping it down gains little in sharpness, but what it does offer is a bit more of your subject in focus.

This may vary depending on the lens and camera it's being used with. This 70-300VR isn't a lens for fast action or sports or birds in flight wildlife stuff, but for general use, it can hold its own.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you explain?

After further reading...

Refurb D7200
Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX NIKKOR
2nd lens option to round things out that is less expensive than the 70-300VR?

Wondering if I can compromise a little here to keep on budget.
If you're looking for a zoom that's on the longer end, that 70-300VR is about the best you'll find. The 70-300 non VR (older one) and the 55-200 are not near as good of performers.

And what he was talking about is generally speaking, that lens performs best at f/9 no matter the zoom level it's set to. To expand on this - most lenses gain a bit of sharpness once they've been stopped down a bit. Some like a bit more than others. Others are designed for max sharpness (or awful close to it) at wide open. Example - the 80-400 zoom I had before I got the 400mm I have now, it was plenty sharp at f/5.6, sharp enough that I often didn't feel the need to stop it down to f/8. There was some improvement to be had, but not enough to suffer the light loss.

My 400mm on the other hand, it's sharp enough to cut you wide open at f/2.8. Stopping it down gains little in sharpness, but what it does offer is a bit more of your subject in focus.

This may vary depending on the lens and camera it's being used with. This 70-300VR isn't a lens for fast action or sports or birds in flight wildlife stuff, but for general use, it can hold its own.
I agree with pretty much all of your post except that the lens doesn't work well for fast action stuff. So long as the light is good, I've pushed that up to 1/2500 f/9 and kept ISO under 1000. 

Yeah, it can't compete with a 300mm f/2.8 but it even does sports fairly well. 
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 2:08:00 PM EDT
[#36]
So it looks like the 70-300 is still the winner...

How do these compare aside from FX vs DX?
https://www.adorama.com/nk70300afpv.html
https://www.adorama.com/nk70300afvru.html
https://www.adorama.com/nk55300vru.html

35mm + cleaning kit for the same price as w/o cleaning kit so why not?

I'm willing to stretch the budget if 35 and 70-300 will do it all, leave nothing on the table, and be worth the money for what I want to do.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 2:11:50 PM EDT
[#37]
I'll be at my desk in a bit. Will check out links and see if I can find any deals. 

Then im off to buy junk food because it's my birthday and I want to be a fatass. 
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 2:49:09 PM EDT
[#38]
If your budget is tight, I'd definitely go with the 35mm lens first over the 70-300mm zoom, especially for city/architecture/travel shooting.  I definitely would not want a big 70-300mm to be my only available walk around lens, especially when traveling.  Now if you are going to buy two lenses, then sure it's a great option.

If you want a zoom for a single lens option, I'd go with something that covers the wider end and middle for what you are looking to do.  Something like a 18-55mm DX or 18-140mm DX.  They both give you an additional stop compared with the 70-300mm.  Will probably be useful for lower light or shorter depth of field shooting.  

You don't want to be stuck with a single lens who's largest aperture is f/4.5 and who's widest effective focal length is 105 mm.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 4:00:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
So it looks like the 70-300 is still the winner...

How do these compare aside from FX vs DX?
https://www.adorama.com/nk70300afpv.html
https://www.adorama.com/nk70300afvru.html
https://www.adorama.com/nk55300vru.html

35mm + cleaning kit for the same price as w/o cleaning kit so why not?

I'm willing to stretch the budget if 35 and 70-300 will do it all, leave nothing on the table, and be worth the money for what I want to do.
View Quote
Honestly if you are willing to get refurb lenses, you can save a bit that way.  The 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR blows the others out of the water in performance.  

Unfortunately, I am finding fuckall for refurb lenses at the moment. 
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 6:03:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Well Nikon doesn't even pretend to be about video lol so they are more honest in that regard.

The last Nikon I used was a D800 and it had the yellow/green issue that Nikon is known for (yes even with correct WB settings)

Going by experience with:

XH-A1
HG10
HG20
20D
5d Mark ii
T3i
GH2
GH3
GH4
A6300

... And of all of these, I was most impressed with the Panasonics. I saw a $500 Panasonic outperform a $3000 5d mark iii and was roughly on-par with a $12000 1Dc

The Sony A6300 and A7sii are better then Panasonic but dramatically more expensive.
View Quote
Panasonic & Fuifilm is giving Canon & Nikon a real run for their money.

ETA: and Sony too
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 9:21:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Seeing as how this sort of turned into a 70-300 discussion, here's a few examples from mine with the D500:

Plumeria by FredMan, on Flickr

Hawaii Northern Mockingbird by FredMan, on Flickr

Kilauea Caldera Night 300mm by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 9:54:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Really good stuff @FredMan! Thanks for sharing
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 6:49:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Alrighty.  Reminder, this is a 12-24mm Tokina, but I'm using it to illustrate how wide your field of view is/changes.  Don't mind the muddy driveway or beat to hell pickup. 

First up is 12mm, which is roughly an 18mm on a FX body.
Then 18mm, which is the lowest end of the 18-55 we were talking about in PM.  Roughly 27mm on a FX body.
Then 24mm, equates to 36mm on a FX
Finally (I need to go take a photo) is the 50mm, which is the closest I have to the 55mm end of the 18-55.  Brb on that one.  Will update this post with it.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 11:47:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Thanks Polar, pm sent.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 11:52:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Thanks Polar, pm sent.
View Quote
 So if you went with an 18-55, your zoom range would look like the 2nd and last photos roughly.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 12:21:52 AM EDT
[#46]
Btw, misc stuff you would find useful.
$8 cleaning kit.  Mostly for the rocket blower, lens pen, and lens brush.
$15 Understanding Exposure 4th Edition.  Basically how to get the best out of your camera by running it in manual mode, if you have an interest in that.

Amazon Product
  • Great tools for keeping your camera clean and in pristine condition.
  • Double sided lens cleaning pen features a dust removal brush on one side and a special non-liquid cleaning element on the other side which is designed to never dry out.
  • Reusable spray bottle arrives empty, simply fill it with your favourite cleaning solution.

Link Posted: 4/15/2017 9:15:55 AM EDT
[#47]
Thanks Polar. I think one of the lenses from Adorama comes with a cleaning kit but I will compare them.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 2:02:08 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Thanks Polar. I think one of the lenses from Adorama comes with a cleaning kit but I will compare them.
View Quote
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top