Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/8/2017 5:33:03 PM EDT
I always preferred to do photo editing with a 2 monitor setup, but while in college I got a fantastic deal on a 27" 5k iMac and dumped my rig in hopes of it being great.  It is, but I still miss having multiple screens when processing images.  With my old setup I just bought two monitors at Staples, and didnt think much of it, but now I would like to get a monitor to pair with this nice Mac screen.  Not sure what specs to really look for.  Not trying to spend crazy money as photography is just a hobby of mine, and im still rather green to it, but want something quality. Think you guys could help me out with what to look for and any potential good units?

I mostly shoot sports
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 5:52:42 PM EDT
[#1]
IPS displays are better, but a real photo editing monitor will put you back a minimum of $5-600 and go up to a couple thousand.  I'd also invest in a Datacolor Spyder or similar color calibrator for your display.  Doesn't matter if you edit awesome if the colors are off for everyone but you.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 5:52:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't know if "best" and "don't want to spend a lot of money" are compatible.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1038829-REG/eizo_cg277_bk_27_wide_screen_color_gamut.html
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 5:55:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't know if "best" and "don't want to spend a lot of money" are compatible.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1038829-REG/eizo_cg277_bk_27_wide_screen_color_gamut.html
View Quote

Never really said I wanted the best out there, just looking for a good monitor that will last and do what I need.  I was browsing and was thinking along the lines of this Dell P2715Q
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 5:56:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
IPS displays are better, but a real photo editing monitor will put you back a minimum of $5-600 and go up to a couple thousand.  I'd also invest in a Datacolor Spyder or similar color calibrator for your display.  Doesn't matter if you edit awesome if the colors are off for everyone but you.
View Quote

I am not afraid to spend up to about $700, and thanks for the tip on the color calibrator
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 6:00:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I am not afraid to spend up to about $700, and thanks for the tip on the color calibrator
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

most monitors in the $500 range will do the job if you're using it in conjunction with a color calibrator and doing calibrations weekly
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 6:54:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Never really said I wanted the best out there, just looking for a good monitor that will last and do what I need.  I was browsing and was thinking along the lines of this Dell P2715Q
View Quote

From what I've read the LG monitors that apple is pushing is on par with their 5k stuff. That said I just picked up a P2715Q and am running it off of a macbook pro with no complaints.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 9:49:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

From what I've read the LG monitors that apple is pushing is on par with their 5k stuff. That said I just picked up a P2715Q and am running it off of a macbook pro with no complaints.
View Quote

Thank you for the info
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 7:59:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 1:48:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You can't go wrong with a Dell.
View Quote
The Dell Ultrasharp IPS displays are phenomenal values. Ran my ColorMunki on my two the very first day and they were already set properly. IMHO for $700, I'd get two of the 1440p 24" displays unless you're used to super high DPI displays.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 2:16:03 PM EDT
[#10]
The biggest part is getting a calibration puck and correctly calibrating your monitor.  That alone is 90% of the job.

After that, your big concern is how much of the sRGB or adobe RGB color space they will reproduce.  If we were talking old-school CCFL-based monitors, that would be a huge gamble.  Today, it's less of a concern, but still, if you're buying new, pay attention to it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 6:20:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The biggest part is getting a calibration puck and correctly calibrating your monitor.  That alone is 90% of the job.

After that, your big concern is how much of the sRGB or adobe RGB color space they will reproduce.  If we were talking old-school CCFL-based monitors, that would be a huge gamble.  Today, it's less of a concern, but still, if you're buying new, pay attention to it.
View Quote
Thats what I have been learning while browsing around.  I have a lot to learn, first step is definitely to get my iMac properly calibrated
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 2:36:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yup.  Some monitors say they are sRGB / aRGB compliant or configured out of the box.  Been curious on that for when I make my next computer upgrade.  Running a ~6-7 year old setup right now. 
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 1:18:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top