Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/26/2017 2:50:42 PM EDT
I need to take very good quality closeups of small gun parts in order to show their condition.

My camera is a Nikon D7000.  The only lens that I have for it is a AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105 f3.5-5.6G ED VR.

What would be a good macro lens for this task?  I am considering a Tamron SP 90mm f/2.8 Di VC USD Macro.  I could spend more if needed.

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 4:09:25 PM EDT
[#1]
How small are these parts?  Something like a trigger or BUIS?  

And where are these pictures going to be displayed? On the internet or prints?

If it's something like a trigger for internet display,  I don't think you need a new lens (unless yours is just a crappy lens).  Put it on 105mm, stop down a couple of stops, and get as close as you can to the subject (minimum focus distance).  Then crop the hell out of picture.  

It should work fine. Concentrate on the lighting and background.

I might be able to dig up an example for you ( if I can find it).
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 4:22:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I am a complete newbie, but I have found that most lenses will out shoot my skill level.

A good tripod, correct lighting, and even moving to a remote shutter release has helped me get a lot of really crisp images with stock canon lenses.

I also grabbed a set of kenko extension tubes. link They helped playing around, (could get the hair on a spiders leg, their fangs, etc...

The extension tubes had some minor flaking issues, I would break them in by mounting them to themselves (front and back) then clean them out really well.

I will pick up a nice macro lens eventually, but for now they have a place in my bag.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 4:33:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Give the lens you have a go. It should do fine for what you want.
What you need is a tripod and lots of light.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 4:36:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How small are these parts?  Something like a trigger or BUIS?  

And where are these pictures going to be displayed? On the internet or prints?

If it's something like a trigger for internet display,  I don't think you need a new lens (unless yours is just a crappy lens).  Put it on 105mm, stop down a couple of stops, and get as close as you can to the subject (minimum focus distance).  Then crop the hell out of picture.  

It should work fine. Concentrate on the lighting and background.

I might be able to dig up an example for you ( if I can find it).
View Quote

I have a large number of NOS and used M14 parts ranging in size from extractors and rear sight assemblies to stocks.  This lens would be for photographing the smaller parts.  I plan to offer them for sale and want to post high resolution digital images so that buyers know what they are getting in order to avoid any confusion.  I want to clearly show any wear on the parts.

I am sure that I will find additional uses for this lens in the future, but this is what I want it for now.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 4:55:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Nothing wrong with buying a new lens  if you want one. I've done that quite a few times.

But I do think you can get some very nice product shots of small parts, with the lens you have.  I tend to use natural light and slow  shutter speeds for these shots, with the camera on a tripod.

Can't hurt to give it a try.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 5:00:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 5:09:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I have never done closeup photography before.  I have an old heavy Bogen tripod.  I suppose that I will need an arm to position the camera correctly.

The room that I plan to use is very sunny.  I will probably still need some artificial light.

I have several bright LED flashlights.  Would those be useable for technical photographs, or is the CRI too poor?  Obviously, I need to have some way of mounting the flashlights.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 5:13:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 5:20:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 12:53:26 PM EDT
[#10]
You should look at the Tokina Macro

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/393446-REG/Tokina_ATXAF100PRON_100mm_f_2_8_AT_X_M100.html

Built like a tank . Its screw drive so slower focus than the Nikon 105 AF-S VR , but who cares since you will most likely manual focus anyways

Had both, kept the Tokina when I also picked up a Nikon 105 DC ( awesome portrait , lens BTW ! )

Also , I find for small gun parts, I prefer the working distance of 150mm .  The Sigma 150 Maco ( I have the older non OS version ) is scary sharp
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 2:46:22 PM EDT
[#11]
If I was going to get serious about macro I'd look at the Nikon micro 105.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 4:09:19 PM EDT
[#12]
If you really want to get serious about macro photography, I'd get the Nikon 200 f/4.  I will give you more working room between the lens and subject, and has a reputation for being sharp as heck.  It's kind of a speciality lens though.

Another option, is to add a Canon 500D to your current lens.  I use one on my (Nikon) 80-200 f/2.8, and it works great.  No loss of image quality at all.  It won't replace a true macro lens, but it is a great way to get closer, and save some money at the same time.  It is a very high quality close-up lens.

But I'd still try your regular lens first.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 4:31:54 PM EDT
[#13]
My macro lens is a Nikon 105mm f2.8 AF-D.  Outstanding lens.  Around $250 used.-
FWIW I use it more as a prime and a portrait lens more than a macro.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 4:41:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 5:22:28 PM EDT
[#15]
OP can pull it off with his 18-105.

Shot these pics handheld with my D7100 and the 24-120 f4.  Cranked to 120mm (180mm crop factor.)
Outdoor in partly cloudy light.
1/500 sec f11 Auto ISO set at 100 to 6400.  Camera picked 1250.  
jpeg, straight outta da camera.

Uncropped

Seriously cropped
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 6:56:16 PM EDT
[#16]
As already mentioned don't get too hung up on new lens ...its  amazing what you can do with a close focus filter ( invest in Achromatic  lens like the Canon 250 / 500...not the cheapies that  )  that allows you to close focus

IMO for sharp macro for showing wear and tear , you need to have good lighting , which will mean flash / strobe

Here is why....when you get up close and personal the DOF is much much shallower even at very high F stops

For example these were taken at F32 !  You can see the different two focus points and how relatively shallow DOF

You need a lot of light at F32

There is no way ambient light will be enough

Lens was Sigma 150 with Sigma EM-140 Ring flash

In this pic bottom of bolt face was focus point

Extractor focus point

I generally use studio strobe when doing this, and more often than not I don't bother with Ring flash since it simply does not have the output .

Even flash wide open, SS is in the 1/60 range

I much prefer to hammer it with studio strobe and run higher SS (to to sync speed )  so I can hand hold

Even a cheapy light box form ebay with some slave strobes triggered by your built in flash is all you need

Slave Strobes

Doesn't cost much to set yourself up to shoot small parts

Link Posted: 2/28/2017 10:13:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If I was going to get serious about macro I'd look at the Nikon micro 105.
View Quote
I have had that lens for 4 years now and always been very happy with it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top