Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2017 8:51:49 AM EDT
I am wanting to start shooting some videos to post on youtube.

I know absolutely nothing about video or editing, but one thing I am considering is a microphone. I havent decided if I will be shooting indoors or outdoors yet, mostly depends on the content of the video vs backdrop.

Is there a good, relatively inexpensive mic I can clip on my shirt collar and record sound in the event the stock mic doesnt pick up sound or has to much extra sound on the recording?

Also, probably more importantly, what type of mic am I looking for?

I am wondering if I even need an external microphone? I know zero about shooting video.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 1:37:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I did a little test a few months ago compaiting the Rode Videomic pro ( Used one on whearhouse deal now! ) to a cheap amazon lapel mic plugged into my iphone ( Here ).Probably best to pick up a external recorder like a Zoom H1 to put in you pocket. Better than the iphone, but the iphone works if you get a good app and there is not going to be a lot of loud noises.

A good place to ask this would be Here .

If you want to skip my rambling and just see the mic tests, ff to 2:20.

The camera mic is worthless and you'll see.

Link Posted: 2/27/2017 1:40:52 PM EDT
[#2]
You're going to get better results from a lavalier microphone as opposed to a Rode microphone on the hot shoe. I have two Rode microphones, and they are great assuming you have them close to you. This is usually not possible (or desired) if you have the microphone on the hot shoe simply because you don't want the field of view and/or distortion by having the camera so close.

I personally run a lavalier microphone plugged into a Zoom H1 and then sync in post using Pluraleyes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top