Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2017 10:31:53 PM EDT
Long story short, my hand strap had a big freaking plate that screws into the bottom of the camera.  With the battery grip installed, it was just a giant pain in the butt.  So I hit up the hardware store.  A couple hours of fiddling, feeling dumb, and a foot or two of paracord later, here's the end result.  Yeah, it is ugly but your hand doesn't even really touch the screw unless you clamp down on the battery grip.  When I have more money, I'll try to make a better version, but this is hard to beat for under a buck in parts.

1/4-20 screw (if they had a knurled thumbscrew I'd have done that) 2x neoprene washers, and a vinyl washer for the hardware.  Some 330 cord and some heat shrink to finish it off.

Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:31:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:39:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Now you got me thinking.  I could use a neoprene or felt washer for a battery terminal between my camera body and my mono pod.  Thanks for the idea.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:30:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm pretty sure I've got that same hand strap.

I've been considering doing a similar mod, but incorporating it into an arca plate.

I may fiddle with this tomorrow.
View Quote

I'd think the Arca plate would get in the way of holding the battery grip.  Kinda a big size difference if it's the one I'm thinking of.  But if it works, it works.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:35:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:15:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It's a lower profile than the plastic monstrosity that the hand strap comes with, and it'd save quite a bit of put this one on take that one off blah blah.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd think the Arca plate would get in the way of holding the battery grip.  Kinda a big size difference if it's the one I'm thinking of.  But if it works, it works.

It's a lower profile than the plastic monstrosity that the hand strap comes with, and it'd save quite a bit of put this one on take that one off blah blah.

Eh, fair enough.  I can honestly say I'm kind of annoyed at the setup right now.  Had to take it off 2-3 times to use the tripod since yesterday.  But if I'm not dicking around with that, it's a non issue.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:41:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:47:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Problem solved, problem staying solved. Phone pic, don't mind the 400mm in the background, blah blah.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/56693/IMAG1169-150653.jpg
View Quote

So subtle there Zack.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:51:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:16:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Hey, I was wrenching on the 400mm, and went ahead and did this strap fix while I had the tools out. Don't judge me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So subtle there Zack.  

Hey, I was wrenching on the 400mm, and went ahead and did this strap fix while I had the tools out. Don't judge me.

Did your new tripod foot show up?  Speaking of tripods though, won't that loop of nylon under the tripod plate get in the way when mounting it?  For the handstrap, I mean.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:33:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:51:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Nope, that was strategically placed. The plate is just a tiny bit longer than the clamp on my ball head. I suspect it's for this very reason.

And no, the tripod foot won't be getting here until tomorrow.

This is actually what I was doing, I removed the old foot in preparation for the new one to arrive. Checked the tracking..and nope. Tomorrow.
View Quote

Huh, okay then.  If it works, it works though.

And post photos when you get it all put together. 
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 3:29:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Or you could just drop $170 on a RRS L-plate that has hand strap loops, a threaded hole, and TWO QD swivel mounts for your Magpul sling cum camera strap.

Link Posted: 2/22/2017 3:50:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Or you could just drop $170 on a RRS L-plate that has hand strap loops, a threaded hole, and TWO QD swivel mounts for your Magpul sling cum camera strap.

View Quote

Can I borrow $170?  Might be a long term thing though.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 4:46:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

yeah, but you'll have to drop by to pick it up
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 4:51:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, walking that far would be one way to lose weight. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top