[#1]
Dialing in a shot...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 10:02:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 12:06:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Very nice!

Since we're just waiting on a couple stragglers, I'll post up what I got when I get back to my laptop.

Please email me with the full res shots so I can add them in to the site page.  IM me if the site email doesn't work.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 12:50:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Ok, here are my submissions.

Natural (no lights)
Attachment Attached File

Limited (one light)
Attachment Attached File

Open (many lights were miss-used in the making of this photo)
Attachment Attached File

Alright! Let's see em if you got em!

Once all submissions are in I'll make a thread in Team and open up the voting.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 2:42:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice work!  

1 or 2 reflectors on your limited pic?
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 5:06:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice work!  

1 or 2 reflectors on your limited pic?
View Quote

Thanks! Just one.

Light with a semi collapsed umbrella from the top and a reflector to the side.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 1:24:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Bueller, Bueller, Bueller. . .
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 1:38:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 11:01:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Bueller, Bueller, Bueller. . .
View Quote

I'll get it done... I haven't posted about it, but I had a pretty good skiing injury 2 weeks ago which is hard to work around.

Torn MCL and PCL, plus separated shoulder. Has slowed me down quite a bit, and all the time spent at doc, MRIs, etc.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 4:04:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Working on it. Just slow after the weekend. 
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 8:10:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Single light, one reflector.  Btw, it is really hard to juggle controlling the camera, not looking at what I'm doing, and taking a picture.   For those that are going to ask why I'm not smiling.  I rarely smile.  Better to be myself in the photo than fake it.

Not bad for 4 am, but not great.   No idea what is with the weird shadows on both eyes though.  Guessing it's from the glasses, but *shrug*

Then unlimited.  2 lights, 1 reflector.

Only edits to both were Adobe RAW and levels, then the adjustments>B&W.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 9:51:35 PM EDT
[#12]
One light, two reflectors (one reflector is a Westcott Eyelighter)

IMG_0965

Four lights:

IMG_1004

Both are straight out of camera without crop and with noting but a camera profile correction. (automated temp and tint based upon a profile created with a ColorChecker Passport)

Was not able to get a natural light pic as it's been too windy to use a reflector (I actually broke my reflector holder trying)

Fixed 1st image (no retouching, just global adjustments)
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 2:41:45 PM EDT
[#13]
So, my wife tells me this should be my entry for Open. She said I look weird in the first one.

What say you?

Is it a douchebag move to change an entry because my balls are in her purse and she's probably right? They were shot on the same night.

Attachment Attached File

well?
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 2:42:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
One light, two reflectors (one reflector is a Westcott Eyelighter)

https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3685/33309641482_546ed9e087_b.jpgIMG_0965

Four lights:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2828/33465701915_a724063eb7_b.jpgIMG_1004

Both are straight out of camera without crop and with noting but a camera profile correction. (automated temp and tint based upon a profile created with a ColorChecker Passport)

Was not able to get a natural light pic as it's been too windy to use a reflector (I actually broke my reflector holder trying)
View Quote
Nice job! I really like those eye lighters and would love to have one. Seems a lot easier than a round reflector.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 2:45:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So, my wife tells me this should be my entry for Open. She said I look weird in the first one.

What say you?

Is it a douchebag move to change an entry because my balls are in her purse and she's probably right? They were shot on the same night.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/24268/Dupemaster-Open-should-have-been-acording-to-Lisa-1-166993.JPG

well?
View Quote
I think the lighting is spot on in these images (you and I seem to be using the exact same lighting setup) but I'm wondering what focal length they were shot at. Seems that you have a lot of facial distortion going on... you almost look like a different person from your natural light shot
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 10:01:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I think the lighting is spot on in these images (you and I seem to be using the exact same lighting setup) but I'm wondering what focal length they were shot at. Seems that you have a lot of facial distortion going on... you almost look like a different person from your natural light shot
View Quote
Yeah, I was thinking that!

The natural was shot at 200mm. The one light was at 24mm or 28mm, can't remember. The open shots were at 120mm (blue shirt) and 100mm (red shirt).

I personally like doing headshots between 105mm and 135mm because at 200mm the face tends to flatten too much. For fat guys like myself thats no good. Really depends on the person though... I think the hair cut and beard trim also exaggerate the difference too.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 10:12:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Single light, one reflector.  Btw, it is really hard to juggle controlling the camera, not looking at what I'm doing, and taking a picture.   For those that are going to ask why I'm not smiling.  I rarely smile.  Better to be myself in the photo than fake it.

Not bad for 4 am, but not great.   No idea what is with the weird shadows on both eyes though.  Guessing it's from the glasses, but *shrug*

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/207715/singlelight-166140.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/207715/unlimited-166141.JPG
View Quote
Well done! you want to PM them to me so I can load them.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 10:17:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/207715/singlelight-166140.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/207715/unlimited-166141.JPG
I had to crop them down to 2000x1500 or whatever they are on here.  It would take forever to upload full size at the 500k/s upload speed we have.  Freaking hate DSL, but no money for anything better.  Most stuff times out, but I'll see if I can upload them to my dropbox overnight by letting the computer just run.

Btw, I've gotten so much use out of my $8 scrap of black felt as a background it isn't even funny.  It's like 9x3' but works great for a lot of stuff so long as you run a shallow DoF and get away from it
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 1:34:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Do we have all were gonna get? If so, I'll close entry and make a new thread.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 2:17:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Do we have all were gonna get? If so, I'll close entry and make a new thread.
View Quote
Managed to find a short moment to grab a handheld in the mirror.  Technically this is both natural light and a single light.

Sunlight bounce from through my front door.

1/160th sec
ISO 320
85mm @ 1.8f

Original
(only minor adjustments in Lightroom, i.e exposure, shadows, whites, etc.)
Attachment Attached File

Processed in Lightroom, tried to go with an Orange/Teal process.
Attachment Attached File

Where do I send the hi res for the pixel peepers?
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 6:30:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 3:29:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Hey guys. I've been super busy with work and eating bacon. I think I'll let this run until Saturday in hopes that zach will turn his "may have to skip this" into a submission. After Saturday I'm posting a judging thread in team.

If you haven't already, pm me and I'll send you the my email so you can send me the photos.

I'm. It even sure it's worth that at this point as everyone has posted the photos here. So let me know on that.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 9:22:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Hey guys. I've been super busy with work and eating bacon. I think I'll let this run until Saturday in hopes that zach will turn his "may have to skip this" into a submission. After Saturday I'm posting a judging thread in team.

If you haven't already, pm me and I'll send you the my email so you can send me the photos.

I'm. It even sure it's worth that at this point as everyone has posted the photos here. So let me know on that.
View Quote
I'll try to get a natural light submission in
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 6:55:47 PM EDT
[#24]
I've been trying to get a natural light one done, but with as sick I've been this week, I'm calling my submissions done. 

Good of luck guys. 
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 2:28:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Sorry guys, iv been super busy the last couple weeks. Turns out even semi regular vlogging takes up way to muck time.

Should I just post a link to this thread and have team got it up?

Best open, best limited, and best natural?

Then one overall winner?
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 8:39:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Sorry guys, iv been super busy the last couple weeks. Turns out even semi regular vlogging takes up way to muck time.

Should I just post a link to this thread and have team got it up?

Best open, best limited, and best natural?

Then one overall winner?
View Quote
Do eet!!
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 2:18:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
does this mean you've backed out?
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 2:31:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 12:55:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Judgment thread in team.

Help Us Photo Nerds Out a Little, Please.
View Quote
Should I put the thread in gd? Getting nothing in team.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 6:42:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Not sure if these follow the rules but I just took them today. That's my reflection on her glasses and yes, they were intentional selfies.

All natural light, Canon Powershot G11, 1/800 ISO 80 f 3.2

All natural light, Canon Powershot G11, 1/800 ISO 80 f 3.2

All natural light, Canon Powershot G11, 1/800 ISO 80 f 2.8

All natural light, Canon Powershot G11, 1/800 ISO 80 f 3.5

All natural light, Canon Powershot G11, 1/800 ISO 80 f 3.5

Link Posted: 4/9/2017 6:43:22 PM EDT
[#31]
I can see that she is a great asset when skydiving. 

On a serious note, points for style and actually pulling it off.  
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 9:11:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Not in for the contest, but I believe this is the only selfie of me. It was years before they came up with "selfies"

Somewhere in the Balkans, about 2000, waiting on some hogs.

Link Posted: 4/26/2017 1:49:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Alright guys, as you may have seen, there is a tie in a couple of the categories. I would like to ask those who would like to, to please vote for a winner of those two categories.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 12:38:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Alright guys, as you may have seen, there is a tie in a couple of the categories. I would like to ask those who would like to, to please vote for a winner of those two categories.
View Quote
I like North's suggestion.... let's do a shoot-out.

One photo FTW.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 5:18:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

One photo FTW.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One photo FTW.
Cool with me... That means you have two to do... and I'm like 87 times hotter now that I've lost 25lbs. AND, I got a new camera. as we all know it makes one a better photographer. You don't stand a chance!
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 10:46:52 PM EDT
[#36]
I'll try to get mine done this weekend.  Figure I'm recovering from being sick and have to take folks to the airport tonight.  Hell, I still need to come up with an idea. 

And I know it doesn't need to be said, but for clarity.

Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:15:39 PM EDT
[#37]
So I might need an extra week and change on this one.  Between doctors appointments and waiting on stuff for a photo surprise to show up, I have yet to even get started on this. 

Edit:  Scratch the stuff on order.  Not sure how I'd mount it yet.  Was going to build a ring light.

Edit 2: sold some stuff today, so I have 2 Yongnuo 560 IV flashes and a wireless controller + light stand mounts on the way, and will round it out with a 3rd flash and mount as soon as my LT mount in the EE sells.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 6:33:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
So I might need an extra week and change on this one.  Between doctors appointments and waiting on stuff for a photo surprise to show up, I have yet to even get started on this. 

Edit:  Scratch the stuff on order.  Not sure how I'd mount it yet.  Was going to build a ring light.

Edit 2: sold some stuff today, so I have 2 Yongnuo 560 IV flashes and a wireless controller + light stand mounts on the way, and will round it out with a 3rd flash and mount as soon as my LT mount in the EE sells.
View Quote
@NovaGator
@NorthPolar
You boys ready yet?

I might pull out my 7' Parabolic for this.

Not sure, but I'm ready to shoot it though. Should we do it live? (not even sure how one would do that, but I know its possible.)
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 7:23:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Crap, I completely forgot about this with all the medical stuff going on.  I might just have to concede on this, as I have zero idea when/if I'll get these taken. 
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 8:20:01 PM EDT
[#40]
I'll get it before the end of the weekend. Already have 3 shoots scheduled for Saturday
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 9:19:42 PM EDT
[#41]
So wait, I have to do another selfie?

How about just pulling one from the files??

This is what I look like working on the extreme cold (cold for me; single digits).
IMAG0098-FredMan_Work by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 9:52:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
So wait, I have to do another selfie?
View Quote
Nah, you won natural outright. You can pm me your address and I'll send your your super awesome selfie light!
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 11:08:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Nah, you won natural outright. You can pm me your address and I'll send your your super awesome selfie light!
View Quote
Woo hoo!
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 12:05:25 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Woo hoo!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Woo hoo!
But it will hold off on sending till the overall winner is chosen. That way I can pay shipping only once.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 11:54:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I'll get it before the end of the weekend. Already have 3 shoots scheduled for Saturday
View Quote
@NoVaGator

I have the winning selfie on my phone!
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 6:44:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Just thought I'd toss this one I rejected for submission out there.  I'm leaning over the camera in a grandis plantation, so the face is kinda distorted, but hey, why not.

And LAWDY I'm starting to look old.

FS Grandis Selfie 2 by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 9:10:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Considering my flash juuuuust got here and I'm still waiting on a trigger to show up Wednesday if I'm lucky, here's my 'goofing around' shot.  I was kind of limited on motions that I could do because I was holding the flash and hitting the 'fire' button with my pinkie.  I didn't even realize I was doing horror lighting until I looked in the camera

Look like Pvt. Pyle from Full Metal Jacket or a Romulan though  'fairly' in focus considering I basically focused, set the lens to manual, got back to my spot, and did a 3 second exposure firing the flash halfway ish.  Seriously though, WTF is with my forehead?! (I know why, but for fuck's sake, I'm not a caveman)

I'll seriously work on it once the trigger shows up.   Mostly testing out the modifiers that came with it today.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 9:50:19 AM EDT
[#48]
Hell, since this is becoming the defacto selfie portrait thread, here is my last one, wish I had taken it before the deadline because this one would been entered.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 3:52:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Well, I took these a fee weeks ago, but have already lost more in the face and I haven't wanted to show them... but here.

Someone has to win that camera as I'm not going to Lee the prize that I put up. So maybe I'll just pick on at random? Otherwise, I think NorthPolar, NoVaGator, and fredman should battle it out.
Then this can become the official self portrait thread.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top