Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/10/2017 10:14:55 AM EDT
I set my camera to RAW and took a few exposures but I can view them on my pc. Do I have to buy Lightroom or Photoshop? Are there free options? I'm not sure how much editing I will be doing at this point but in the future I may that's why I plan to shoot RAW.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 10:32:14 AM EDT
[#1]
there are free options like paint.net which you can get from getpaint.net or you can use photoscape from photoscape.org then spend the money later on photoshop and lightroom
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 1:10:27 PM EDT
[#2]
what kind of camera?
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 6:00:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
what kind of camera?
View Quote

Canon 7d mark ii
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 8:15:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Nikon has free software to view their raws, I can't imagine Canon doesn't as well.

Poke around the software support section of canon's website.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 9:10:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I set my camera to RAW and took a few exposures but I can view them on my pc.
View Quote

If you want the microsoft viewers to show them, you will need to download the codecs from Nikon or Canon.
Most image viewers you pay for will do them already.

Quoted:
Do I have to buy Lightroom or Photoshop? Are there free options?
View Quote

Adobe, Corel, etc, all the big name graphics makers are all good options for the money.
The camera makers will give you free software with limited editing abilities.
There are also free third-party software you can download. In my opinion, you get what you pay for.

Quoted:
I'm not sure how much editing I will be doing at this point but in the future I may that's why I plan to shoot RAW.
View Quote

All DSLR photos need to be processed to bring out their best.
JPG vs raw is about the amount of room you have to play in.
The camera can do some or all of the processing if you don't want to do it, but the camera's abilities are limited.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 9:22:13 PM EDT
[#6]
The thing is, RAW isn't a picture format; it's the raw sensor data. It's going to be different for each combination of image sensor and software. In order to view a RAW file the software you're using has to understand the sensor data for your particular camera and interpret that to create an actual image. That's why different software can sometimes produce drastically different images from the same RAW file.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 11:44:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Canon 7d mark ii
View Quote

The DPP program (CD) that came with your camera will read the file.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 7:37:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The thing is, RAW isn't a picture format; it's the raw sensor data. It's going to be different for each combination of image sensor and software. In order to view a RAW file the software you're using has to understand the sensor data for your particular camera and interpret that to create an actual image. That's why different software can sometimes produce drastically different images from the same RAW file.
View Quote

True. Raw files require an interpreter. Everyone reverse engineers their own because the camera makers won't share the specs. I wouldn't say the resulting differences would be drastic, but slightly to noticeably different.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 7:53:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Lightroom or Photoshop?
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 7:55:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 8:19:38 PM EDT
[#11]
You're going to want Lightroom for raw processing (exposure, contract, levels, color correction, etc.) and Photoshop for image editing (getting rid of photobombs, powerlines, etc.).  You'll "develop" the frame in LR, then bring it into PS for the rest (if needed.  I rarely use PS).

The $10 subscription includes both.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:46:29 AM EDT
[#12]
So you don't just buy the software? Can you guys fill me in on a subscription?
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 2:20:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

This. Did you get CD(s) with your camera? If you did, one of them should have the camera's manual and some applications, one of which is Canon's "Digital Photo Professional", which offers processing utilities for RAW files. Not the most sophisticated program out there, but that may not be what you want. As a hobby photographer, DPP gives me all the tools I need most of the time. Just being able to adjust white balance in post production makes shooting in RAW format WELL worth the increased file size for me.

You can download DPP and other Canon software here:

Canon downloads

Good luck!
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 3:19:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This. Did you get CD(s) with your camera? If you did, one of them should have the camera's manual and some applications, one of which is Canon's "Digital Photo Professional", which offers processing utilities for RAW files. Not the most sophisticated program out there, but that may not be what you want. As a hobby photographer, DPP gives me all the tools I need most of the time. Just being able to adjust white balance in post production makes shooting in RAW format WELL worth the increased file size for me.

Canon downloads

Good luck!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Canon downloads

Good luck!

I will check. Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 4:11:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Many of the big software companies are moving to a subscription model instead of individual sales. It makes the revenue stream more predictable.

Photoshop is only available via subscription.

Lightroom 6.0 can be purchased, but the new features introduced between 6.1 and 6.9 are only available in the subscriptions until 7.0 is released.

The Lightroom and Photoshop bundle available as a subscription is $120 per year, payable yearly or $10 monthly.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 11:44:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

$10/month gets you a license for LR, PS, and the Creative Cloud.  Updates included.

Considering that they would probably charge $600-$800 for a one-time charge, and you get free upgrades, it's not a bad deal.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:48:40 PM EDT
[#17]
A good free program that might work for what you need is rawtherapee.  It's kinda like lightroom but at a lot better price.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top