Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 20
Posted: 11/11/2016 10:05:01 AM EDT
I want to start an astrophotography thread, I really need to get back into this.   Every since I was a kid I've wanted to shoot the night sky, but now that I'm older, finally have access to awesome cameras, a sweet telescope mount I just cannot find the time to do this.  

I had cancer last year, did chemo through the summer, had a baby girl born in august, now free time is slowly starting to come back and this thread and hopefully you guys can help motivate me to start shooting again.   I bought a sweet mount for astrophotography two years ago but have yet to actually shoot anything on it, its just an expensive coat rack right now.  

So enough bullshit, I'm going to start doing this again, I have all the gear, that honestly I have almost no experience using.    

Here is my current setup with the photos I've been working on over the past month

Here is the mount with two scope setup with the laptop

and here are the shots from my old mount.  I should be able to get much longer exposures with the new mount and sharper stars

ISS paying us a visit

post up picks if you have them and join me in the journey.   I envy those that live in dark sky sites, I live in light polluted usually cloudy skies upstate NY
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 10:16:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 11:45:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Very nice work.

I'm looking forward to more.
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 12:04:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Cool, subscribed for more!

I haven't attempted many moon / star photos, hopefully I learn a thing or two from you folks.
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 12:19:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm in on this. I've got equipment around that is begging to get used again.
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 12:27:02 PM EDT
[#5]
this will be a huge learning process for me, I get so little time to practice that I'm very rusty.    I'll pull my equipment out this weekend and shoot it for you guys this weekend.   I've got the gear, just not the skill with the telescope or the time
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 1:06:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Taggage for reading later.
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 4:34:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
this will be a huge learning process for me, I get so little time to practice that I'm very rusty.    I'll pull my equipment out this weekend and shoot it for you guys this weekend.   I've got the gear, just not the skill with the telescope or the time
View Quote

Make time.

The stars will be there for a very long while ................. but you won't.
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 9:03:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Love the deep field shots, I'd love to eventually get set up to get photos like that. Here are a couple wide angle shots I got this summer.

MilkyWay by Justin Springer, on Flickr

Milky Way over Flagstaff by Justin Springer, on Flickr

Link Posted: 11/11/2016 9:27:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Great thread.

Recycle of the some old pix...

DSC_8848-Moon160124 Early by FredMan, on Flickr

Silo Starstack 2016-03-29 by FredMan, on Flickr

DSC_3657-Melk Weg by FredMan, on Flickr

Edit by FredMan, on Flickr

Milky House Vert by FredMan, on Flickr

DSC_0100-Jupiter by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 7:38:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Dude  

I've got probably a 18 year old Meade telescope I might need to see if I can adapt my D7200 to.
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 8:03:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Not quite there.  About 35 hours to the closest approach.

Penultimate Supermoon 2016-11-12 by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 10:32:27 PM EDT
[#12]
messed around with my scope tonight, took a few test shots with a new way to mount my camera.  Moon was washing pretty much everything in the sky out, but I'll post up some pics tomorrow.
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 11:57:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
messed around with my scope tonight, took a few test shots with a new way to mount my camera.  Moon was washing pretty much everything in the sky out, but I'll post up some pics tomorrow.
View Quote

Just for fun, try the Pleiades some night when you can't think of anything else, if you can get a wide enough field. (1.5 degrees should do it.)
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 7:41:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Just for fun, try the Pleiades some night when you can't think of anything else, if you can get a wide enough field. (1.5 degrees should do it.)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love looking at them through my scope.   I was actually going to shoot them because they are an easy target but the moon was washing everything out, I doubt I would have picked up the nebulae
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 9:24:01 PM EDT
[#15]
This is my current 'artistic' obsession, planning long driving trips for it..

I have a shit tripod and rudimentary skills (well I got A's in my photography classes in college, but that was film and theory) but I can make some neat things.

Anaconda_ABE_DBE by sseagle, on Flickr

Did I say I could make neat things? No this was some technical wizardry with a free stacking program and a very expensive astrophotography program, all wrapped up with following a checklist because I haven't sat down and learned and read and absorbed.

You are way ahead of me, I have no tracking, no great lens or any kind of telescope.

Link Posted: 11/13/2016 10:24:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I love looking at them through my scope.   I was actually going to shoot them because they are an easy target but the moon was washing everything out, I doubt I would have picked up the nebulae
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If the sun were at the distance of the Pleiades it would be seen as an 11th magnitude star, so just imagine how bright the brightest Pleiades really are.

Also the double cluster in Perseus is nice.
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 10:49:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

If the sun were at the distance of the Pleiades it would be seen as an 11th magnitude star, so just imagine how bright the brightest Pleiades really are.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The double cluster was one of the first objects i saw through a telescope and has remained a personal favorite.   I did take a shot of it last night, i just havent had time to work on anything to show you guys.    

I need to go over my gear and relearn a lot about my mount, between cancer and babies its been well over a year and i'm rusty.    Once i start getting good alignments and my guide scope set up i hope to start producing decent photos.
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 10:50:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
This is my current 'artistic' obsession, planning long driving trips for it..

I have a shit tripod and rudimentary skills (well I got A's in my photography classes in college, but that was film and theory) but I can make some neat things.

<a href="https://flic.kr/p/LUjDLp" target="_blank">https://c4.staticflickr.com/6/5491/29471794643_cc0f9aed0c_o.jpg</a>Anaconda_ABE_DBE by sseagle, on Flickr

Did I say I could make neat things? No this was some technical wizardry with a free stacking program and a very expensive astrophotography program, all wrapped up with following a checklist because I haven't sat down and learned and read and absorbed.

You are way ahead of me, I have no tracking, no great lens or any kind of telescope.

View Quote

Love it man, post more shots!
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 11:06:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Love it man, post more shots!
View Quote

This was my first attempt.
_010216_ABE by sseagle, on Flickr

This was when Mars was large and in charge. (damn clouds+light pollution) I think the lower, lefter object was jupiter.
Autosave_ABEx by sseagle, on Flickr

Lots of light pollution, even two hours from home.
_DSC3061 by sseagle, on Flickr
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 12:11:09 AM EDT
[#20]
http://www.cleardarksky.com/csk/index.html#chart_list

Here is a helpful resource for guys looking to find dark areas to try out night photography. It give the Bortle rating of locations which is a basically a rating of how much light pollution there is for that area. The scale goes from 1 which is the darkest/best (very few locations like this anymore, parts of Big Bend state park and Natl Park in Texas are some of the few in the lower 48) to 9 which would be like downtown in any major city. It also gives an astronomical forecast for viewing conditions by the hour based on cloud cover and a couple other atmospheric conditions.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 6:27:14 PM EDT
[#21]
I really like the M81/M82 photo.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 2:59:14 PM EDT
[#22]
waiting on clear skies and a night with no moon

snow and rain are forecast for the next week here

I'm going to spend a few hours on one target next chance I get and just shoot and shoot.    

most great astro photos have hours of exposure time into them

Link Posted: 11/22/2016 9:18:27 AM EDT
[#23]
still waiting on clear skies

It was 70 degrees on Saturday.   Its now 28 degrees and I have over 2 feet of snow in my yard

wtf nature?
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 9:57:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 5:30:11 PM EDT
[#25]
The weather knows when you are off. That's why it's always cloudy on Friday and Saturday nights here.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 5:47:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The weather knows when you are off. That's why it's always cloudy on Friday and Saturday nights here.
View Quote

its been endless cloudy skies here.   So what I'm going to do tomorrow is find a few of my old Orion shots and show you guys how I process them

Link Posted: 12/4/2016 10:35:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

its been endless cloudy skies here.   So what I'm going to do tomorrow is find a few of my old Orion shots and show you guys how I process them
View Quote

That's kind of what I've been dealing with. We've been dry and clear here for several months, to the point we've had burn bans and stuff in effect. But then I buy a new toy in a DSLR and it's done nothing but rain since last weekend when I bought it. Even on the few days that it hasn't rained, the skies have been way to overcast to take any good pictures of anything.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 10:36:03 PM EDT
[#28]
This is the best I could do, about 50 miles NW of downtown Phoenix (it would be another 50 miles out for dark skies).  Probably about 20 shots and 10 darks combined at 35mm.

This is from the backyard, at 600mm.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 4:34:17 PM EDT
[#29]

Link Posted: 12/7/2016 8:30:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Global warming. Yep. That's the one.

View Quote

Just sounds like regular Texas weather
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 8:31:23 PM EDT
[#31]

Looks like you should take some snow pictures
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 9:36:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Looks like you should take some snow pictures
View Quote

Took some the other day when we got our first snow, but you've already seen them.

Link Posted: 12/8/2016 10:03:47 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm dying for a clear night, doesn't look likely soon. Was planning on renting a Rokinon for the xmas-new year week and going out.

_DSC3253 by sseagle, on Flickr

This is where I did my last series of shots with teh shitty lens. Going to pack a tent and bag next trip.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 6:41:23 AM EDT
[#34]
So this is kind of my first "real" shot at astrophotography.  The fastest lens I have is the 50mm f/1.8 so it isn't perfect but I think I did okay.  Orion pops up perfectly over the driveway around 1am this time of year so I tried to get a shot of it.

Unfortunately this also made me realize I have a lot that I need to improve on.  I'm thinking the 5 second exposure was too long coupled with not getting the focus perfectly dialed in, but other than aurora shots I have zero experience with this kind of stuff.  I need to get better at it, considering I really want to buy a D810 (or 810A) and throw the 14-24 on it.  Kinda my dream camera setup right there. 

D7200 with 50mm f/1.8
ISO 400 5 second exposure

Link Posted: 12/9/2016 12:55:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Nice thread..

My contribution.
Single shot
Nikon D810
Nikkor 14-24mm 2.8
30 second exposure
Backlit by me and a Fenix flashlight.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 2:59:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Nice thread..

My contribution.
Single shot
Nikon D810
Nikkor 14-24mm 2.8
30 second exposure
Backlit by me and a Fenix flashlight.
View Quote

I think you forgot the picture
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 3:08:01 PM EDT
[#37]
when I finally have money to buy shit I don't need again I'll probably get this for quick grab and go

Quoted:
So this is kind of my first "real" shot at astrophotography.  The fastest lens I have is the 50mm f/1.8 so it isn't perfect but I think I did okay.  Orion pops up perfectly over the driveway around 1am this time of year so I tried to get a shot of it.

Unfortunately this also made me realize I have a lot that I need to improve on.  I'm thinking the 5 second exposure was too long coupled with not getting the focus perfectly dialed in, but other than aurora shots I have zero experience with this kind of stuff.  I need to get better at it, considering I really want to buy a D810 (or 810A) and throw the 14-24 on it.  Kinda my dream camera setup right there. 

D7200 with 50mm f/1.8
ISO 400 5 second exposure

http://img11.deviantart.net/0f4b/i/2016/344/5/c/orion_over_alaska_by_aknorthpolar-dar4t1c.jpg?1
View Quote

Hey we all have to start somewhere.   Astrophotography is a serious challenge.   I've been thinking about building a barn door tracker for wide field shots

http://www.astropix.com/bgda/sample2/sample2.html

Amazon Product
  • iOptron SkyTracker Pro Camera Mount with Polar Scope - Alt-azi Base (Installed) - AccuAlign Dark Field Illuminated Polar Scope - Brass 3/8" and 1/4" Threaded Ball Head Mounting Post(Installed) - Padded Carry Bag - Micro USB Charging Cable - iOptron 1 Year Limited Warranty
  • Mount: Ultra compact single axis EQ
  • Body material: Die-cast aluminum with ABS cover

Amazon Product
  • Multiple preprogrammed speeds for time lapse photography
  • Tracking rate selectable between Sidereal, Solar and Lunar
  • Built in polar scope with illuminator

Link Posted: 12/9/2016 3:25:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Yeah.. got some sort of error.. trying again.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 3:34:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Yeah.. got some sort of error.. trying again.https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/156207/IMG-0042-103587.JPG
View Quote

sweet.

Is that a flashlight?  strobe?   aliens?
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 3:43:10 PM EDT
[#40]
flashlight.

I had the camera on an interval timer. Taking a 30 second photo every 32 seconds.. Walked around the tree. Tried several brightness settings on the camera over several shots. This is the one I liked the most.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 3:47:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Another image.Attachment Attached File

Almost new moon on the right and a comet on the left. Shot several years ago.
D700
300mm 2.8 Nikkor
middle of South Dakota after driving several hours from my home in the Twin Cities as this was the only day that this conjunction would occur. Snowing back home and prayed for a break in the clouds when I got to where my weather sources said it would be clear.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 3:50:01 PM EDT
[#42]
To keep this going.
Attachment Attached File

Used a series of single images stitched together to make this sweeping pano. Shot on the north shore of Superior in Minnesota. Split Rock Lighthouse in the background with just a hint of the aurora.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 3:56:28 PM EDT
[#43]
I have a shit ton more but will spare everyone...Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 4:01:50 PM EDT
[#44]
keep posting!  

Link Posted: 12/9/2016 4:19:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I have a shit ton more but will spare everyone...https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/156207/lighthouse3-s-103626.JPG
View Quote

Do not spare us
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 4:23:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 9:53:55 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 9:50:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Attachment Attached File

North star timelapse
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 9:53:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Attachment Attached File

Partial solar eclipse at sunset.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 9:54:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Attachment Attached File

Captured a meteor while out shooting some nighttime stuff.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 20
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top