Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2016 9:42:54 PM EDT
I ordered a nice silver Nikkor 28-80mm zoom for my D50, used, from Amazon, and it came with 2/3 of the flanges ripped off the mount.
WTF is wrong with people?
I'm sending it back and leaving negative feedback for the seller. What a disappointment. The lens had great reviews.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 9:55:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Call Amazon or email them, they will take care of you.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 10:16:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Protip, when buying used camera gear, buy from places like Adorama or KEH.

But Amazon will take care of you.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 11:57:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

I give up on finding a lens for this D50. My buddy spent two weeks looking for his spare lens to sell me only to remember he sold it three years ago. Then I wait for this one to get here and its toast on arrival. I did get a fotodiox adapter and I will use my old pentax glass on the D50. Sure, its manual focus and I have to guess at the exposure but that's how I rolled as a poor film photog in the 1990s.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:04:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:27:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I give up on finding a lens for this D50. My buddy spent two weeks looking for his spare lens to sell me only to remember he sold it three years ago. Then I wait for this one to get here and its toast on arrival. I did get a fotodiox adapter and I will use my old pentax glass on the D50. Sure, its manual focus and I have to guess at the exposure but that's how I rolled as a poor film photog in the 1990s.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There have been a handful of 50 f1.8 G series lens in the EE the last few weeks. The upside to the D50 is you have a ton of lens options. You can find an in-expensive "pre-D" autofocus lens for a good price and it will do pretty well by you.

-shooter
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 6:30:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I am really digging the adapter for my pentax lenses. It has its draw backs but my Tamron 70-300mm that I paid good money for a decade ago is back in the stable. I have a loaner 70-200mm zoom and its just not as sharp with the adapter.

50mm F2.8 prime
18-55mm Kit lens from my dead pentax ist-dl
70-300mm Tamron Zoom

And I can use the lens from my Nikon D3200 on my D50 and use all these Pentax lenses on my D3200 as well.

That's pretty cheap for the Nikon silver lens.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 6:36:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Adapter issues:
Very soft and distorted at widest aperture with the 70-200mm Zoom from the 1970s. Mildly soft and ethereal with the 50mm Prime, just soft enough to be useless with my other lenses (Does not look intentional, i can work with distortion if its cool looking). If you stop it down a bit the softness clears up.

Next issue is a bright spot. This adapter has a lens on it. At F22 you notice a large bright spot in the center of the image.

You have to manually set the aperture after focusing. In case your lens doesn't have an aperture selection ring the adapter has one built in.

I feel like a filmy again!
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:31:36 PM EDT
[#9]
OP, if you are interested in that lens from KEH, use promo code ACKEHMAY16 for 10% off.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 12:27:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
OP, if you are interested in that lens from KEH, use promo code ACKEHMAY16 for 10% off.
View Quote

I would thank you but you are only furthering my addiction.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 1:05:15 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I just ordered a 70-300mm lens today.

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 10:53:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Better not be the one I was looking at....
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 11:47:12 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

New promo code today.  Use IDEAL for 15% off.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 3:29:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are da man!
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 9:51:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Why are you hanging onto a D50, infrared?
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 1:18:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Backup. My Pentax ist-dl* died in the middle of Photoclass.
I had no money for a new camera. Thankfully the teacher let me use old images from my deployment in lieu of shooting new material.
It was months but I finally got my hands on an old Sony A200 for like $70.
I recently added two nikons to the stable.
Most of my paid camera work is for Family Portraits. 6MP or 24MP, they don't know the difference.
My D3200 is my main camera and the D50 is mainly for backup and portraits, and training Newbs.
I am thinking of shipping the A200 to my FIL as he has a great eye but no Pro Equipment.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 12:57:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Have you done this? I heard it was easier to SIMULATE in PS than to risk bricking a perfectly functional camera.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 11:09:50 PM EDT
[#18]
More on the Pentax dying.
The symptoms I was experiencing are as follows:
4 stops under exposure in all Automatic modes except when the flash was up for some reason.
In Manual Mode the meter was reading normal but pics were still 3-4 stops under exposed. I had to eye ball everything.
Highlights were blowing out hot pink. Not slight pink, hot freaking pink. Most images were either under exposed or pink tinted. Correcting for white balance didn't help.
Most of this was happening when I was between jobs and could not afford to replace the body as I was using it to pay bills.

So, that's what you look for when your camera dies. I thought I was losing my mind because in 20 years I rarely got my exposure values wrong with my eyeballs.

I used the camera for so long in that condition it feels very odd to be shooting with a camera that functions properly.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 12:10:54 PM EDT
[#19]
I think The Nikon Store is having 10% off their refurbs this weekend.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 12:37:38 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a lead on a local lens. I will check it out on Monday. Its a VR 18-55 like I have on my D3200. $60!
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 9:33:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Now why do you have to go and post stuff like that.  I've put $600 for a lens, $300 for boots, $200 for hunting gear, and $400 for a plane ticket on my card in the last two weeks.

Must.  Not.  Visit.  Site.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:53:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I have a lead on a local lens. I will check it out on Monday. Its a VR 18-55 like I have on my D3200. $60!
View Quote

Nevermind, instead of keeping the Appointment the guy blocked me on facebook.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 10:13:55 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Now why do you have to go and post stuff like that.  I've put $600 for a lens, $300 for boots, $200 for hunting gear, and $400 for a plane ticket on my card in the last two weeks.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I was eyeing a couple "trinity" lenses for a long time and used this opportunity to order them.  I got an email today saying my order was cancelled, no reason given.  Called Nikon today, they still gave no reason and said someone will call me in a day or two.  

I guess it wasn't meant to be, lol.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 3:19:38 PM EDT
[#24]
What's the KEH code for today? I think I might FO!
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 4:21:46 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

What's the KEH code for today? I think I might FO!
View Quote
DIGFILM

Good for 15% off

Link Posted: 10/26/2016 4:31:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It would have been nice if I'd known about the code last week.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 1:24:46 AM EDT
[#27]
I Foed! But not hard. I got an 18-55DX AF-S VR kit lens for $59 and two variable power flashes for my mobile studio rig. $77 total with discount code and shipping! Thanks, Vacaduck!
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 3:03:58 AM EDT
[#28]
I got my gear today and I am very pleased. The lens, of which I already have one for my D3200, works extraordinarily well on the D50 and produces sharper images than my D3200. Nothing I have now matches my Pentax Ist-DL for sharpness, though. I went through some images yesterday and was just blown away at the difference.
The flashes look brand spanking new! I got a Sunpak 433D and a Vivitar 285, both variable power speedlights. I now have two 285s, which means I now have the three light setup and its fully controllable! I only have three remote receivers so what I might do is run a main light, reflector, background light with a Vivitar 2800, and a hair/side light.
I'm really pleased with the condition and function of the items. Thanks for the recommendation!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top