Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2016 5:30:05 AM EDT
Recently I spent a week taking pictures in Cuba. I shot a few rolls of film while I was there on a Nikon F3.

Film used is a mixture of Ektar 100 and Ilford Delta 400.

If you have questions about Cuba, photography or going to Cuba as an American feel free to ask away!

Here is the camera I used.

Nikon F3 - DPx Hest - Griffin Pocket Tool by Luke Crawford, on Flickr

The rest of the images in this thread are all film shots.

Nikon F3 - Ektar 100 (Rated 400) by Luke Crawford, on Flickr

Nikon F3 - Ilford Delta 400 by Luke Crawford, on Flickr

Link Posted: 9/2/2016 11:02:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Cool pics.

Surprised to see modern cars in that last shot.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 12:29:50 PM EDT
[#2]
A picture is worth a thousand words, your black and white photography captured great images.

What a sad and impoverished people

eta: the one of the Castillo del Moro is the saddest, thousands of innocents have been murdered within it's walls.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 12:33:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice images. Made me think about my F3, think my youngest son has it. Loved that camera.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 1:40:41 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Cool pics.

View Quote
No modern American cars, but the Government does import cars from other countries.

Link Posted: 9/5/2016 6:19:58 PM EDT
[#5]
This is some beautiful work.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 11:46:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

This is some beautiful work.
View Quote
Thanks!

Link Posted: 9/5/2016 11:54:58 PM EDT
[#7]
My first camera was an F2 with a broken light meter prism.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 12:11:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
No modern American cars, but the Government does import cars from other countries.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cool pics.

Didn't they start allowing new car sales and a new base Huydyi was like 70k
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 4:03:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 1:15:13 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Congrats! Awesome pics.

I'm interested in the logistics of your trip, as I've been planning it but haven't pulled the trigger quite yet.

What accommodations? I stayed in a "Casa De Particular" (basically a bed and breakfast) booked through Airbnb (https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/9110904?sug=50) It was excellent, the host spoke very little english but was very kind and cooked a delicious breakfast every morning. How did you plan/schedule/get around each day and did you decide ahead of time where you wanted to go? I did a ton of research online, once I arrived I spoke with various locals about where to go, as I wanted to avoid the tourist traps.

I assume there's no Hertz or Alamo, so ground transportation and the ability to go where you want is a big unknown, Correct, three rental car companies exist, but they are all owned by the government. They are very expensive and if you get in a wreck you are not allowed to leave Cuba until the investigation is complete...not something I wanted to risk.  I took taxies everywhere (get ready to haggle) as well as how you pay for everything since US $ are still restricted if I understand it correctly. Cuba has two currencies. You can exchange US dollars for the CUC, which is the tourist currency at most hotels and the airport. One CUC is always equal to one US dollar.  If I remember correctly after taxes and fees you get about .85 CUC for every 1.00 US.  If you exchange Euros instead of US dollars you can get a slightly better rate. Their is also a Cuban peso which is what all the locals use. One CUC is worth about 27 Cuban pesos. The only place I could find to exchange CUC for pesos was at the bank. This is the way to go. While some places will not take pesos from a tourist (such as taxis) most non-tourist establishments will. For instance, at the restaurant close to where I stayed a pizza cost 3 CUC or 35 Cuban pesos. As you can see, its much cheaper to pay with the Cuban pesos.

All flights right now (that I've seen) are to cities other than Havana, so the lodging and travel logistics are paramount. Check out Havana Air (http://www.havanaair.com) they have regular flights from Miami to Cuba. I flew from ATL to Miami then Miami to Havana.

Also looked at the cruise option as that would provide a good operating base, but the one I saw had "humanitarian aid" as the reason for travel, so you had to attend a bunch of seminars each day.

Legally going is the main issue. The Cuban government does not care, as they just want your money. The US has 12 categories that are considered "authorized" for travel to Cuba. Tourism is not one of them. You can read more about that here (https://havana.usembassy.gov/travelling_cuba.html). I went as a photojournalist and had no issues.

So any details about your trip would be interesting and greatly appreciated!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Recently I spent a week taking pictures in Cuba. I shot a few rolls of film while I was there on a Nikon F3.

If you have questions about Cuba, photography or going to Cuba as an American feel free to ask away!

Congrats! Awesome pics.

I'm interested in the logistics of your trip, as I've been planning it but haven't pulled the trigger quite yet.

What accommodations? I stayed in a "Casa De Particular" (basically a bed and breakfast) booked through Airbnb (https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/9110904?sug=50) It was excellent, the host spoke very little english but was very kind and cooked a delicious breakfast every morning. How did you plan/schedule/get around each day and did you decide ahead of time where you wanted to go? I did a ton of research online, once I arrived I spoke with various locals about where to go, as I wanted to avoid the tourist traps.

I assume there's no Hertz or Alamo, so ground transportation and the ability to go where you want is a big unknown, Correct, three rental car companies exist, but they are all owned by the government. They are very expensive and if you get in a wreck you are not allowed to leave Cuba until the investigation is complete...not something I wanted to risk.  I took taxies everywhere (get ready to haggle) as well as how you pay for everything since US $ are still restricted if I understand it correctly. Cuba has two currencies. You can exchange US dollars for the CUC, which is the tourist currency at most hotels and the airport. One CUC is always equal to one US dollar.  If I remember correctly after taxes and fees you get about .85 CUC for every 1.00 US.  If you exchange Euros instead of US dollars you can get a slightly better rate. Their is also a Cuban peso which is what all the locals use. One CUC is worth about 27 Cuban pesos. The only place I could find to exchange CUC for pesos was at the bank. This is the way to go. While some places will not take pesos from a tourist (such as taxis) most non-tourist establishments will. For instance, at the restaurant close to where I stayed a pizza cost 3 CUC or 35 Cuban pesos. As you can see, its much cheaper to pay with the Cuban pesos.

All flights right now (that I've seen) are to cities other than Havana, so the lodging and travel logistics are paramount. Check out Havana Air (http://www.havanaair.com) they have regular flights from Miami to Cuba. I flew from ATL to Miami then Miami to Havana.

Also looked at the cruise option as that would provide a good operating base, but the one I saw had "humanitarian aid" as the reason for travel, so you had to attend a bunch of seminars each day.

Legally going is the main issue. The Cuban government does not care, as they just want your money. The US has 12 categories that are considered "authorized" for travel to Cuba. Tourism is not one of them. You can read more about that here (https://havana.usembassy.gov/travelling_cuba.html). I went as a photojournalist and had no issues.

So any details about your trip would be interesting and greatly appreciated!
Let me know if you have any other questions!

Link Posted: 9/14/2016 6:58:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the info and the photos.  

The one of the woman smoking a cigar is my favorite.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 6:59:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for sharing Luke! Great stuff!
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 11:55:15 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Thanks for the info and the photos.  

The one of the woman smoking a cigar is my favorite.
View Quote
No problem! Thanks!

Link Posted: 9/15/2016 11:55:25 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Thanks for sharing Luke! Great stuff!
View Quote
Thanks!

Link Posted: 9/16/2016 11:46:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 11:51:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top