Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2016 5:42:11 PM EDT
I took this picture today and with what little reading I have done, I set the the camera for long exposure to try to get the entire gun in focus. It did not do it as well as I wanted. What could I perhaps change to help me taking pictures of objects like this and getting the entire thing in focus? Thanks for any help.

Info

NIKON D3300

F-stop f/11

exposure 1.3 sec

focal length 18mm

max aperture 3.6

35mm focal length 27

I did get this one to work a bit better with the same settings. I just screwed up the sight alignment.

other pictures that were much easier obviously.

Link Posted: 8/23/2016 6:26:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Drop the aperture down to f16.  Shrinking the aperture (the numbers go up the smaller it gets) controls depth of field, or the amount of focus you get.  Experiment with that.

Focus on the first 1/3 of the subject, in this case, probably somewhere along the barrel or magazine.  You can also back up a bit and that can help with the depth of field, then crop in later.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 7:46:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top