Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/15/2016 12:43:30 PM EDT
Taking photos at night dependent on moonlight, but I want to be able to do some of my work during daylight hours. I was thinking I could stack various filters on top of each other to mimic nighttime UV/VIS/IR ambient light equivalents of various moon stages even if it were daytime.

Suggestions?
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 1:50:42 PM EDT
[#1]
10-stop Neutral Density filter?  Not sure exactly what you're trying to do.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 2:02:43 PM EDT
[#2]
If you are just looking to simulate the darkness, you can stack neutral density filters to reduce the light. A polarizer filter can help with that, too.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 2:25:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Will a polarizing filter in front of a neutral density filter allow me to vary the amount of light, or do I need to stack 2 polarizing filters?
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 2:27:29 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
I was thinking of stacking Neutral Density filters.

One thing I don't know is what value 2 x ND2 or 3 x ND2 filters will be equivalent to.

Link Posted: 8/15/2016 4:06:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
One thing I don't know is what value 2 x ND2 or 3 x ND2 filters will be equivalent to.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you looking to use a specific exposure?  Remember the more glass you put in front of a lens the more chances for something to go wrong.  

There should be charts on the filter websites that will calculate that stuff for you.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 4:45:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Just underexpose the shot by 3 or 4 stops, and it will be dark.   That's all night time is anyway.....a lack of light.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 5:51:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Do a search in Youtube and your question will be not just answered, but demonstrated.

It is all about flash photography in daylight.  Really helpful and very detailed.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 10:12:09 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

If you are just looking to simulate the darkness, you can stack neutral density filters to reduce the light. A polarizer filter can help with that, too.

View Quote

Or get a variable: Tiffen 77mm Variable Neutral Density Filter.

Link Posted: 8/16/2016 1:16:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 7:23:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

very interesting.  "day for night" is pretty awesome now that I see what is happening.

2 stop ND or underexposure, WB shift to tungsten for the blue cast, and minor touchups as needed.
Some of those examples are pretty spectacular. It seems a lot more straightforward than I would have expected.

Gonna have to experiment with this a bit.
thanks for the point in the right direction.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do a search in Youtube and your question will be not just answered, but demonstrated.

It is all about flash photography in daylight.  Really helpful and very detailed.

very interesting.  "day for night" is pretty awesome now that I see what is happening.

2 stop ND or underexposure, WB shift to tungsten for the blue cast, and minor touchups as needed.
Some of those examples are pretty spectacular. It seems a lot more straightforward than I would have expected.

Gonna have to experiment with this a bit.
thanks for the point in the right direction.

Glad to be of help.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top