Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2016 8:10:25 PM EDT
Currently have a Nikon Coolpix P510 and am looking to go to a DSLR.  Is the D3300 a good entry level camera?  Will that be a good upgrade from the 'bridge' camera I currently have?
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 9:38:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a D3200 that I was happy with, although I just upgraded to a D7200 for some additional functionality.

The D3300 should be a competent entry-level DSLR.

Although looking at the specs of your current camera, you might find that you can't do some of the things with the D3300 out of the box that you may be doing with your camera.

For example, the standard 'kit lens' of the D3300 probably won't have the zoom range that you have now, and it does not come with a built-in GPS.

I don't know all of the details of your current camera, but you may find more options on the D3300 if you're really interested in learning all about photography and exposure, along with a wide variety of specialty lenses that you can get, higher resolution sensor, etc..

Link Posted: 8/11/2016 10:16:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 10:27:19 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Knowing the budget you're operating under will help a lot here.

You may be able to get a used better camera for the price of a new lower tier one.

I recommend buying the best camera you can afford. If the 3300 interests you, it'll work fine to learn the basics. But it'll also frustrate you once you know them, because of its shortcomings, mainly in the interface. Hunting and digging through menus is nobody's idea of fun, especially to access what should be basic camera controls.

Something like a used D7000/7100/7200 while bigger and heavier also provides a lot more useful controls, a lot more room to grow into the camera, and excellent image quality. It also opens you up to using older lenses like the 50mm f/1.8D that would be manual only if used on one of the lower tiered cameras.
View Quote
Budget is between $500 to $600.

Link Posted: 8/12/2016 12:16:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You may be able to get a used better camera for the price of a new lower tier one.

I recommend buying the best camera you can afford. If the 3300 interests you, it'll work fine to learn the basics. But it'll also frustrate you once you know them, because of its shortcomings, mainly in the interface. Hunting and digging through menus is nobody's idea of fun, especially to access what should be basic camera controls.

Something like a used D7000/7100/7200 while bigger and heavier also provides a lot more useful controls, a lot more room to grow into the camera, and excellent image quality. It also opens you up to using older lenses like the 50mm f/1.8D that would be manual only if used on one of the lower tiered cameras.

That budget limits you to the 3000/5000 type bodies if you are buying new. Probably all you need for mostly shooting things that do not move with the latest DX lenses or even older lens as you would have the time to focus manually, set exposure via menu, etc. Do you plan on shooting from a tripod? I think that after using it for a few hundred good shots, the first time that you get to use equipment that costs 10x as much, you will be figuring out how much you can upgrade to get closer to that level. A lot of folks sell photos taken with 7000 type bodies, and the cost of the body can be pretty trivial compared to what they have invested in their other gear.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 1:18:54 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Can't disagree with Zack3g here.  If I were in your position, I'd jump on a used D7000.  

Link Posted: 8/12/2016 1:26:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Currently have a Nikon Coolpix P510 and am looking to go to a DSLR.  Is the D3300 a good entry level camera?  Will that be a good upgrade from the 'bridge' camera I currently have?
View Quote

Get a D5500 refurb for $600 with the kit lens from Adorama.

Or get a D5300.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 2:00:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Or get a D5300.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or get a D5300.

Both are very good. But if you'll be taking a lot of photos is try to squeeze out a bit more cash for a 7000 series.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 9:57:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Other than the warranty issue, is there anything different with the international version cameras?

I see a lot of the ones on Amazon are the international version ones.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 10:37:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Are you stuck on Nikon?  I amean a fan of Canon, my wife has a Sony mirrorless.  The Canon (60D) has great battery life, and awesome image quality.  The Sony produces great images, but the battery gives out quick.  I have a couple of older Nikon bodies that I got (D70) to pull the sensor to make a cooled ccd camera for astrophotography.  I liked the interface for the Canon better, seemed more logical to me.  

What are you trying to photograph?  I do astro stuff, general family pictures, flowers, and had a blast doing an airshow this year.  I originallyou picked Canon because it is well supported in the astro world.  The Nikon lens flange diameter is smaller, so if you ever get into full size sensor, you may experience vignetting in the corners.

The best thing I could suggest is to read some on dpreview and luminouslandscape, lots of good info there.  Cameras are so good now, that a good quality model that is one other two back is still very usable and substantially less.  My 60D was $900 new with no lenses,  you can pick one up one on ebay for $400 or less with a lens.  Nikon would be the same way.

<edited to fix stupid auto correct>
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 11:22:33 PM EDT
[#10]
How about a D7000?

Same resolution as the Coolpix P510 I'm replacing, which I am happy with.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 11:42:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
How about a D7000?

View Quote

Keep in mind the D7000 is already 5-6 years old. Do you want things like WiFi, GPS, or higher megapixels?
The good news is if you decide you want something more like the d-7200, can probably sell it for close to what you bought it for.
The D-7100 is considerably more, it's got some great improvements.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 12:43:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 1:15:20 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
D7000 is a fine camera despite its relative age and in your price range if you shop smart.

Keep this in mind, you aren't really buying a camera, you're buying a lens system. You'll upgrade cameras several times (or more than several) but as you acquire lenses, you'll be able to use those on the newer ones.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

How about a D7000?

D7000 is a fine camera despite its relative age and in your price range if you shop smart.

Keep this in mind, you aren't really buying a camera, you're buying a lens system. You'll upgrade cameras several times (or more than several) but as you acquire lenses, you'll be able to use those on the newer ones.
I can get a refurbed D7000 for under $400.  Leaves me a little for a lense.

Link Posted: 8/15/2016 4:19:06 PM EDT
[#14]
As the local Pentaxian...don't discount Pentax in your search.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 11:36:15 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Are you stuck on Nikon?  I amean a fan of Canon, my wife has a Sony mirrorless.  The Canon (60D) has great battery life, and awesome image quality.  The Sony produces great images, but the battery gives out quick.  I have a couple of older Nikon bodies that I got (D70) to pull the sensor to make a cooled ccd camera for astrophotography.  I liked the interface for the Canon better, seemed more logical to me.  

What are you trying to photograph?  I do astro stuff, general family pictures, flowers, and had a blast doing an airshow this year.  I originallyou picked Canon because it is well supported in the astro world.  The Nikon lens flange diameter is smaller, so if you ever get into full size sensor, you may experience vignetting in the corners.

The best thing I could suggest is to read some on dpreview and luminouslandscape, lots of good info there.  Cameras are so good now, that a good quality model that is one other two back is still very usable and substantially less.  My 60D was $900 new with no lenses,  you can pick one up one on ebay for $400 or less with a lens.  Nikon would be the same way.

<edited to fix stupid auto correct>
View Quote

That's not a bad way to go. I picked up a used 40D last school year for the kids to use. It was $290 shipped and came with the 50mm 1.4. I was darn happy for that price. The images are good too. I've shot track, baseball, and softball with it and had good results. You can't crop like you can with my 70D, but that's the difference between getting a camera for essentially ~$100 and a camera that's closer to $1K.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 4:02:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Saved a little money and got a refurb D5300 with an 18-55 VR DX II lens for just under $500 shipped.  This will let me work on basic skills and still leave me with a bit for another lens.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 5:14:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Saved a little money and got a refurb D5300 with an 18-55 VR DX II lens for just under $500 shipped.  This will let me work on basic skills and still leave me with a bit for another lens.
View Quote

Wow, that's a smokin' deal. Adorama?
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 5:38:20 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Cameta
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 8:14:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Nice!  Even though I got my order in after the cut-off time of 1 pm EST by about 2 hours, Cameta still got my camera shipped.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 4:39:02 PM EDT
[#20]
I recommend picking up this lens, it's amazing for the money.

https://www.amazon.com/Nikon-AF-S-NIKKOR-Focus-Cameras/dp/B001S2PPT0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1471466198&sr=8-2&keywords=nikon+dx+35mm

It's a 35mm prime lens.

FWIW, I JUST ordered a D5500 refurb from Adorama for $599 with the 18-55mm kit lens.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 4:42:38 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I recommend picking up this lens, it's amazing for the money.

https://www.amazon.com/Nikon-AF-S-NIKKOR-Focus-Cameras/dp/B001S2PPT0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1471466198&sr=8-2&keywords=nikon+dx+35mm

It's a 35mm prime lens.

FWIW, I JUST ordered a D5500 refurb from Adorama for $599 with the 18-55mm kit lens.
View Quote
Good price. That's $20 cheaper than Cameta.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 9:15:24 PM EDT
[#22]
B&H announced the new Nikon D3400 today. I happened to be there when I got the email and walked 50 feet to the Nikon kiosk. Nada. I suspect that there are going to be some deals on the older models.

Nikon is also doing something odd with the first lenses for the camera. 18-55 and 70-300 with better auto focus. Both lenses available with and without VR. Sure, that won't confuse anyone.......
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 1:06:41 PM EDT
[#23]
The D3400 looks like a baby 5500 but they took away the auto-cleaning sensor to cut costs. Image quality should be almost as good as the 5500/7200 but it's missing a lot of features.
Shot endurance is way, way up to 1100 they say.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 7:53:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Camera came in today.

Aside from the box, you'd never know this was a refurb.  Not a mark on it.  Looks like it's brand new.  Same with the lens.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 10:21:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Personally for me I would get as much Nikon refrub'd equipment as possible, you can get some really wonderful deals. They come with a 90day warranty, and if you are squeamish you can get the store's warranty for a nominal cost. Personally for me I've never needed it. I have a refurb'd D5200, D7100, 18-200, 10-24 lens, & 55-300 mm lens.
The refurb'd stuff also comes in a plain brown cardboard box. IF you are a collector you may want to get the standard stuff that comes in a nice box with nice graphics and a 5 year warranty.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 10:42:29 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Personally for me I would get as much Nikon refrub'd equipment as possible, you can get some really wonderful deals. They come with a 90day warranty, and if you are squeamish you can get the store's warranty for a nominal cost. Personally for me I've never needed it. I have a refurb'd D5200, D7100, 18-200, 10-24 lens, & 55-300 mm lens.

The refurb'd stuff also comes in a plain brown cardboard box. IF you are a collector you may want to get the standard stuff that comes in a nice box with nice graphics and a 5 year warranty.
View Quote
90 day warranty from Nikon and 1 year warranty from Cameta.

Link Posted: 8/20/2016 2:13:44 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Camera came in today.

Aside from the box, you'd never know this was a refurb.  Not a mark on it.  Looks like it's brand new.  Same with the lens.

View Quote

Nice!  We're looking forward to some pics!  
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 11:19:58 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Camera came in today.

Playing around, got this one of my youngest grandson as he was walking toward me.

Taken after the sun had dropped below the hills.

1/10, ISO 100, f/5.6, 18-55mm kit lens at 55mm.

Link Posted: 8/22/2016 12:11:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 12:18:42 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Looks good but camera shake is visible here. Rule of thumb is shutter speed should be at least 1/focal length. With crop sensors and high resolution sensors there's a bit more emphasis placed on the importance of this. Your minimum shutter speed to avoid camera shake by the rule should have been about 1/80.

Keep practicing. Every day you can and try to learn every day. You are off to a good start.
View Quote
He caught me by surprise.  I was messing around with the camera, turned around and he started towards me.  Just snapped a couple real quick and that's my favorite out of the three.  Didn't even know what the camera was set to until I saw it in the Nikon program.

Link Posted: 8/23/2016 10:10:19 AM EDT
[#31]
I also got my D5500 refurb yesterday. I haven't taken any pics yet because I couldn't find one of my many SD cards, but I'll post some stuff up soon.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 12:01:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Just bought a 50mm f/1.8 lenses to take to Disneyland for dark ride pics.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 12:03:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 12:06:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Couldn't pass it up at $79 shipped.  It's used, but listed in very good condition from Cameta.

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 8:33:34 PM EDT
[#35]
So here is the kit so far:

Nikon D5300

Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 G VR II DX AF-S

Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6 G DX AF-S ED

Nikon 50mm f1.8 E

I think this has me covered for now.

Link Posted: 8/31/2016 5:17:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
So here is the kit so far:

Nikon D5300
Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 G VR II DX AF-S
Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6 G DX AF-S ED
Nikon 50mm f1.8 E

http://i.imgur.com/s1dUV21.jpg

I think this has me covered for now.

View Quote

That's almost exactly what I've got right now!
You need some filters too, if you don't have them.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 12:49:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Playing around in the Nikon Capture NX-D program.  Not the best pic, but one I like.

Link Posted: 9/1/2016 1:03:48 AM EDT
[#38]
My first 'action' shot:

Link Posted: 9/1/2016 11:34:08 PM EDT
[#39]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top