Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2016 11:51:35 AM EDT
I would love to upgrade my D5100 to a D5500 for a couple reasons.  Best I have found is a certified refurbished camera and lens combo for $580-599 on Adorama.
How confident should I be in buying a refurbished model? How fatigued are the batteries that come with the camera?

I was thinking I should order it about 1 month before we leave on Vacation, so I have a chance to test it extensively before we leave.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 12:05:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 12:43:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is there some reason you want to stick with the 5xxx series over the 7xxx series? I'd suspect you could get into a D7000, D7100, or perhaps even a D7200 for not much more, and have a far more capable camera.

I know the sensors are basically the same, but the 7xxx series gives you a lot more control over the camera. It's the next logical step up. Front command dial, lots more buttons to help rather than having to dig through menus to control things, and you get that nifty drive motor for the older lenses.
View Quote

The 5500 is smaller and lighter, and I don't really need the features that the 7xxx series has.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 12:49:35 PM EDT
[#3]
i have a refurbished zoom that continues to work fine
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 2:35:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Pretty sure that all the accessories that come with the camera are in like new or new condition. I had bought a refurbished D810 and the battery looked brand new. The camera itself was not working properly though and that turned me off of refurbs. I've actually had very poor luck with refurbished products of all kinds, so I've stopped.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 4:48:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I have bought 2 refurbed digital bodies, and at least 1 lens. They are a good deal, and often include a 1 year warranty "on accident."

-shooter
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 8:55:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I picked up a refurbed 7100 direct from Nikon last year, Was defective from the start, went back to Nikon repair twice in the first month to get them to fix the issue*.  Was fixed, but I lost some of my confidence in the Nikon brand.

* The issue was a phantom battery drain.  You could turn the camera off, pop in a freshly charged battery and it would be dead in 4-5 hours. Sent it back the first time, they had it for 4-5 days, replaced a few parts, sent it back with the exact same issue. The second time, they replace a bunch more internals and it hasn't had any battery issues so far.

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 11:19:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The 5500 is smaller and lighter, and I don't really need the features that the 7xxx series has.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is there some reason you want to stick with the 5xxx series over the 7xxx series? I'd suspect you could get into a D7000, D7100, or perhaps even a D7200 for not much more, and have a far more capable camera.

I know the sensors are basically the same, but the 7xxx series gives you a lot more control over the camera. It's the next logical step up. Front command dial, lots more buttons to help rather than having to dig through menus to control things, and you get that nifty drive motor for the older lenses.

Yes you do :).  Trust me.  It's one opf those things that you don't know you need it until you've got it, then you'll wonder how you ever got along without it.

But, to answer your question, refurbs are GTG.  So is used gear from a reputable seller (B&H, Adorama, KEH (my favorite)).

My current body, a 7100, is a factory refurb, and it's been perfect.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:25:58 AM EDT
[#8]
My first DSLR was a refurbed D40X that I bought from Cameta.  Used it for a few years without issue, and then sold it to fund a D7000 purchase.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 6:09:01 PM EDT
[#9]
90 day warranty. I believe that you can buy a Mak Diamond 3 year warranty as long as you buy it on the exact same day, but I have never done it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 4:20:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I picked up a refurbed 7100 direct from Nikon last year, Was defective from the start, went back to Nikon repair twice in the first month to get them to fix the issue*.  Was fixed, but I lost some of my confidence in the Nikon brand.

* The issue was a phantom battery drain.  You could turn the camera off, pop in a freshly charged battery and it would be dead in 4-5 hours. Sent it back the first time, they had it for 4-5 days, replaced a few parts, sent it back with the exact same issue. The second time, they replace a bunch more internals and it hasn't had any battery issues so far.
View Quote

This is my fear. I am planning on getting the camera at least a month before we fly out just to make sure it's completely GTG.
D5500 for $580-600 refurb is a pretty great deal IMO. I can probably get $200 for my 5100 as well.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 9:58:58 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't know the 5xxx line well, but what does that upgrade get you?

I know the 7xxx is heavier, but having two son mans dials and AF motor are worth the cost of admission to me...

-shooter
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 6:05:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Minus the D7200 body I use now, all of my Nikon stuff is refurb (including lenses) for the last several years.  Zero issues and if you do have an issue, their CS is good.

If you are going to shoot in auto modes, the 5500 will do you fine, but if manual is more your thing I'd really consider upgrading to a 7000 series.  You can get a refurb 7200 with 55-200 lens for $850 right now.

Regardless of what you get, put $200 into getting a 50mm 1.8f lens.  Absolutely fantastic bit of kit.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 8:18:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I know the 7xxx is heavier, but having two son mans dials and AF motor are worth the cost of admission to me...

-shooter
View Quote

Honestly, all the "scene" modes on one of the dial are of no use to me.  All I really want on a mode dial is P, S, A, M, and maybe U1 and U2.  I know it's a prosumer model, and lots of prosumers like the scene modes, but I don't shoot in anything but raw and completely skip the jpg output and all those bells are useless to me.

Wish they'd taken the effort they put into the modes and gave the 7100 a bigger frame buffer.  But I guess that's what the 7200 is for

The shutter modes on the lower dial are very useful, however.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 9:50:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Honestly, all the "scene" modes on one of the dial are of no use to me.  All I really want on a mode dial is P, S, A, M, and maybe U1 and U2.  I know it's a prosumer model, and lots of prosumers like the scene modes, but I don't shoot in anything but raw and completely skip the jpg output and all those bells are useless to me.

Wish they'd taken the effort they put into the modes and gave the 7100 a bigger frame buffer.  But I guess that's what the 7200 is for

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

-shooter

I think he is talking about the front and back dials for aperture and shutter speed.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 11:00:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

-shooter
View Quote

From the 5100 to the 5500 is a pretty substantial upgrade. The 5500 has the same sensor as the 7200.
16.2 MP sensor to 24 MP sensor
No LPF for better image quality (they did this on the 5300)
Exeed 4 processor- faster and more efficient
~4 ounces lighter, smaller, stronger monocoque body with a better grip
More shot endurance on 1 battery charge
Touchscreen with ~30% more pixels
Built-in Wifi to stream pix to your smartphone or tablet

Mainly I want to upgrade for the better sensor, lighter stronger body with better grip, and Wifi.
The differences between this and the 7200 is:
7200 has 2 dials
7200 has built in drive motor (I think?)
7200 does 6 shots per second instead of 5.
7200 is substantially larger and 50% heavier
7200 has dual SD card slots
7200 has a larger battery (1100 shots instead of 800)

I do lightweight backpacking and occasionally hump my DSLR with me. Plus I find I am taking it less and just using my iPhone.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 3:19:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

From the 5100 to the 5500 is a pretty substantial upgrade. The 5500 has the same sensor as the 7200.

Mainly I want to upgrade for the better sensor, lighter stronger body with better grip, and Wifi.
7200 has 2 dials

I do lightweight backpacking and occasionally hump my DSLR with me. Plus I find I am taking it less and just using my iPhone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

-shooter

7200 has 2 dials

D7100/7200 are weather-sealed.  No you can't submerge them.  But they will resist the outdoors better than the D5xxx series.

Link Posted: 8/1/2016 8:42:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Yeah - I meant two command dials, not sure why it got autocorrected on me. But I have never had a camera with only one (N4004, N80, D70, now D90) and can't imagine working that way.

I am seriously considering an upgrade to a 7200, that is why i asked. However, I can't decide if it is worth the upgrade'froma D90 to a 7200. I am leaning towards yes, because the low light capability would be helpful shooting my boys doing TKD in gyms that have only marginal lighting.

-shooter
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 8:44:51 PM EDT
[#18]
I think he is talking about the front and back dials for aperture and shutter speed.
View Quote

Ah.  Then forget everything I said about I hate about the scene modes (I still hate them but they're not germaine), and remember that I LOVE having separate shutter and aperture command dials.  Really gives you much better control.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 8:46:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Yeah - I meant two command dials, not sure why it got autocorrected on me. But I have never had a camera with only one (N4004, N80, D70, now D90) and can't imagine working that way.

I am seriously considering an upgrade to a 7200, that is why i asked. However, I can't decide if it is worth the upgrade'froma D90 to a 7200. I am leaning towards yes, because the low light capability would be helpful shooting my boys doing TKD in gyms that have only marginal lighting.

-shooter
View Quote

The ISO performance on the 7200 will blow away what you're used to on the 90.  I went from a D50 to a D200 to a D7100, and each was quantum levels of better ISO.  Like you'll wonder how you ever lived without it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 11:54:26 PM EDT
[#20]
I always try to buy a refurb'd if possible, IF you ever problem you can take it to camera repair shop,  but I have never had any problems with any of my refurb'd equipment.

If you have the coins, I would go with a refurb'd D7200. It is the most advanced DX camera Nikon, after the very specialized D500 .
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 11:55:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Decent deal on D5500 refurb kit

http://www.ebay.com/itm/311535199291
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 12:26:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Grey market new

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121569688552
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 3:18:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 5xxx series users mirrors to right the image, and it is a bit darker than the the 3xxx & 7xxxx series cameras uses a glass prism, but it is lighter and screen can be swiveled around.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 3:26:20 AM EDT
[#24]
I em a  Nikon(the Japanese call it Nee-Kon), but I buy refurrb'd whenever possible to save money. Despite the 90 day warranty, I have never had to have any of them repaired.

If you guys are a collector you should get the regular one because the refurbish equipment comes in a plain cardboard box. The regular priced one  has the nice graphics etc. I am not a collector.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 3:48:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I would love to upgrade my D5100 to a D5500 for a couple reasons.  Best I have found is a certified refurbished camera and lens combo for $580-599 on Adorama.
How confident should I be in buying a refurbished model? How fatigued are the batteries that come with the camera?

I was thinking I should order it about 1 month before we leave on Vacation, so I have a chance to test it extensively before we leave.
View Quote

Adorama refurbed Nikon gear is good to go. I bought four (or five?) bodies and several lenses from them over the years, most were Certified Refurbished.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 10:13:06 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm quite happy with my refurb purchases.  I have bought two bodies from Adorama and a lens directly from Nikon.
Other then a slightly better deal through Adorama all is good!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top