Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2016 11:45:27 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 12:37:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 1:45:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice bokeh on that crane

Using an a6300 with a 55-210mm + TC... goiing to give this a shot. Usually go with AF-C/Lock-on Focus mode M
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 1:50:28 PM EDT
[#3]
How much post processing do you do?
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 2:02:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 3:50:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Very nice.  Looks like you have figured out a good method.  

I've been a Nikon user since 1983, and I think the autofocus system is quite difficult to master, when it comes to shooting moving subjects.  Everyone seems to have their preferred method, and I've seen some heated internet arguments start up, when discussing which method is "best".  

So like I always say, try them all, and use whatever works for you.

I personally don't like using the AF button on the back of the camera, and never have been able to adjust to it.  It just doesn't "feel" right to me, so I have always used the "push the shutter button half-way" method.  I've never shot birds in flight, but have shot other other types of action (sports, horse racing, planes), and I'll be glad to pass along the settings I use, if anyone wants to try them.

Oh, I'm currently using a D700, but have also used several other Nikon cameras with autofocus.  So I may be a little out of date (some day I'm going to upgrade, but probably not for a while), but I think the basics are very similar.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 5:11:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
OK, maybe not wrong. But the vast vast majority of the books and websites say you should use continuous autofocus (with some or all focus points enabled) to enable the best rate of success for capturing birds in flight.

This is what I did for..well..ever since I started trying to capture birds in flight.

But, there were always WAY more misses than hits. That swamp trip above, there were almost 600 pictures taken. I came away with under a hundred that were even worth looking at, and even fewer worth posting. Why? Because AF-C just plain isn't good enough, and Nikon's implementation of focus priority for AF-C ALSO sucks.

I came up with a better way. I'm not claiming it as my invention or anything, but I sure haven't seen it discussed anywhere that I can recall.

The basic flow goes like this (and I apologize to you Canon guys, you may or may not be able to do this - I have no idea) :

You need to have back button focus turned on, and you need to have focus turned OFF for the shutter button.

Your camera needs to be set in single shot focus (AF-S on Nikon) and with a single focus point activated.

Your shutter can be whatever you want, I use continuous high without flash, continuous low with flash to keep things sane.

The trick is the autofocus custom setting for AF-S focus priority. (I believe it will be custom a-2 or nearby to that) It will not allow the shutter to trip unless it has focus confirmation. You guys that have ever messed with focus trap stuff will be familiar with the basic premise. Oddly, focus priority doesn't seem to function at ALL on AF-C on my D7200. My D7100 was the same. Why they broke it, I have no idea.

Method: Hold shutter button down. It won't do anything unless you have focus. Manual focus to get close enough to track the bird in flight, but not trigger. Once you're on target, start tapping the back button to focus. Each tap should rattle off a few shots of perfectly focused images (assuming your shutter speed is high enough and whatnot) because it reacquires and reconfirms focus with each tap.

Now that I think about it, a similar result *may* be obtainable using af-s and continuous shooting on the main shutter button (for the ones who can't program a back button for AF), but you'd have to be really careful not to torque the camera going on and off the shutter button so much.

Thoughts, questions, comments, concerns?
View Quote

Seems like more work than it need be. However, the fact that it works for you is a good thing.
You might try going back to AF-C and setting the release priority to "release + focus" or another option between "release" and "focus" depending on your camera model.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 5:49:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 6:37:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There are two options in AF-C. Release and Focus.
View Quote

You got cheated.

On my D2x and D700 there are three choices in AF-C:

Release
Release + focus
Focus

In AF-S, there are two options:

Release
Focus

I always use Focus priority, as I never understood the logic of taking an out of focus picture.  But other people  swear that Release (or Release + focus) works like a champ. I never had much luck with them.  And that's one of the things people argue about.  

But none of that stuff matters.  Results are all that count, and you are getting great results!
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 8:40:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You got cheated.

Results are all that count, and you are getting great results!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There are two options in AF-C. Release and Focus.

You got cheated.

Results are all that count, and you are getting great results!

This, and this.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 2:50:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I always use Focus priority, as I never understood the logic of taking an out of focus picture.  But none of that stuff matters.
View Quote

Well you could sell 11 million plus copies.

Link Posted: 5/26/2016 3:25:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 7:56:47 PM EDT
[#12]
I’m going to try to go to an air show next month.  It's not exactly birds in flight, but I might play around with the settings some, just to see how it goes.  I’m always looking for a better way to do things, and I need to get out and shoot some, anyway.

Edit:  I saw this video a while back, but wasn't sure I could find it again.  It's a quick and dirty explanation of the Nikon AF system.  It might be helpful for anyone who isn't sure what each of the functions actually does.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 9:27:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Hmm...  I'll have to try this.  I've fiddled with back-button focus, and it just never felt right for me.  Probably because it's different.

And now I have to run out and set up tonight's shot!!

Stay tuned...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top