Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/22/2016 1:32:36 AM EDT
For the people who shoot airshows, with zooms... how do you do AF fine tuning?

My gear - 7DmkII, 100-400LII

I need to do some more tripod testing to definitively rule out technique, but I've been having a difficult time getting sharp images especially between 300 and 400mm.  They don't look really out of focus, more like just a bit fuzzy.  Not as sharp as it should be.

I've been reading what I can find on several websites, and am finding answers all over the map regarding which focal length and distance to use.  Use the longest FL, middle FL, most used FL... 25xFL, 50xFL, just past MFD...

Is it really all over the map, and I'm going to have to try all of the different combos to see what works best my my camera and lens?

Any tips would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 5:39:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 11:18:07 AM EDT
[#2]
It's been a long time since I shot an airshow, or anything with a long lens, for that matter.  And I don't know anything about fine tuning the autofocus or Canon equipment.  So take anything I say with a grain of salt.

A few questions first.   Are the subjects moving or static?  What kind of shutter speeds are you using? And does your equipment have image stability? Of course the reason I ask, is because technique is very important when using long lenses.

For static subjects, I like to keep my shutter speed up around 1/600 or faster, when using a lens in the 300-400mm range. If you have some type of image stability, that changes thing dramatically, but without it, fast is good.   If the subject is moving (airplanes at some distance), I like to use at least 1/1000 (absolute minimum) shutter speed.  If I'm closer to a moving subject (say...horse racing), I go as fast as I can with shutter speed.  1/2000 or better.  I'll increase the ISO to get the speed.

In my humble opinion, there is just no substitute for speed, when using a long lens.  With  a static subject and image stability, I could sometimes get as slow as 1/60, but without VR, or with a moving subject, speed is everything.  

Also, try to stay in the f-stop, sweet spot, for your lens.  I guess that's typically around f/5.6 to f/8, but every lens is different.  Some are good all they way down to wide open, but of course, they usually come with a hefty price tag.  

Well anyway, I would try a few test shots before I started messing with the fine tune on the autofocus.

Speed, speed, speed!
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 12:02:16 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I would look at the images you shot, figure out a common focal length and do my tuning there.

<snip>

Hope this helps.
View Quote

Thanks.  I should have mentioned I'm familiar with the dot tune process.

As for finding a common focal length - it's all over.  At smaller airfields sometimes 100mm is too much with larger aircraft, and fly-by shots are at 200mm.  At other airfields we're further away from the showline and I'm shooting at 300-400mm.

Link Posted: 5/22/2016 12:31:54 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

It's been a long time since I shot an airshow, or anything with a long lens, for that matter.  And I don't know anything about fine tuning the autofocus or Canon equipment.  So take anything I say with a grain of salt.

A few questions first.   Are the subjects moving or static?  What kind of shutter speeds are you using? And does your equipment have image stability? Of course the reason I ask, is because technique is very important when using long lenses.

For static subjects, I like to keep my shutter speed up around 1/600 or faster, when using a lens in the 300-400mm range. If you have some type of image stability, that changes thing dramatically, but without it, fast is good.   If the subject is moving (airplanes at some distance), I like to use at least 1/1000 (absolute minimum) shutter speed.  If I'm closer to a moving subject (say...horse racing), I go as fast as I can with shutter speed.  1/2000 or better.  I'll increase the ISO to get the speed.

In my humble opinion, there is just no substitute for speed, when using a long lens.  With  a static subject and image stability, I could sometimes get as slow as 1/60, but without VR, or with a moving subject, speed is everything.  

Also, try to stay in the f-stop, sweet spot, for your lens.  I guess that's typically around f/5.6 to f/8, but every lens is different.  Some are good all they way down to wide open, but of course, they usually come with a hefty price tag.  

Well anyway, I would try a few test shots before I started messing with the fine tune on the autofocus.

Speed, speed, speed!

View Quote

Thanks.

Static photos are fine, but taken with a different lens.  I need to try some static images next show with the 100-400 and see if the fuzziness is there as well.

Been shooting with this camera/ lens combo since last August.  Keeper rate improved significantly after an initial learning curve, and has improved a bit more as I continue to use the combo.

Aircraft taxiing are usually OK, mostly the in-flight shots are the issue.  Mainly old warbirds, so slower shutter speeds to get prop blur.  I vary the shutter speed between 1/160s and 1/320s depending upon focal length.  Image stabilization is ON, lens is sharp wide open so I usually shoot in shutter priority and let the camera adjust aperture (usually between f/8 and f/14).  ISO is AUTO, set within 100 and 1600 (last show all of the images ended up being captured at 100).

I'm hoping to get to an airshow this next weekend or the following, where I have the chance to shoot jets.  I'll be able to ramp the shutter speed up to 1/2000s and turn IS OFF.

I'm hoping this is just a case of my slight OCD combining with technique that still needs improvement.  To me, the images with this issue don't look like motion blur, they look like focus just missed critical focus by a small amount.  I'll go through my images again over the next few days and see if I have any examples left - if so I'll post some 100% crops to see if anyone thinks it might just be motion blur.

Link Posted: 5/22/2016 1:42:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Mainly old warbirds, so slower shutter speeds to get prop blur.
View Quote

This is a monster challenge, and I never got it right.  I would slow down the SS to get the prop blur, and end up with blurry planes. There must be some kind of special talent required to take these pictures, and I never had it.   Good thing there are plenty of jets to take pictures of.

I always turned VR (image stabilization) off for moving subjects.  Horse racing was very frustrating for me, the first couple of times I tried it (especially when they threw me out of the track for using "professional" equipment...LOL).  I initially wasn't sure if I missed the focus while panning, or if it was from having the shutter speed too slow.  But when I increased the shutter speed, my keeper rate went up.

Good luck, and don't give up!
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 5:00:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Mainly old warbirds, so slower shutter speeds to get prop blur.  I vary the shutter speed between 1/160s and 1/320s depending upon focal length.  Image stabilization is ON, lens is sharp wide open so I usually shoot in shutter priority and let the camera adjust aperture (usually between f/8 and f/14).  ISO is AUTO, set within 100 and 1600 (last show all of the images ended up being captured at 100).
View Quote

Ultimately, you will find that this is a problem with your technique. Lots of practice using good technique is the cure.

That said, do some focus tests with the lens to see that there is not a problem there too. Can't say I recommend the "dot" method.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 5:23:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 6:14:37 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

This is a monster challenge, and I never got it right.  I would slow down the SS to get the prop blur, and end up with blurry planes. There must be some kind of special talent required to take these pictures, and I never had it.   Good thing there are plenty of jets to take pictures of.

I always turned VR (image stabilization) off for moving subjects.  Horse racing was very frustrating for me, the first couple of times I tried it (especially when they threw me out of the track for using "professional" equipment...LOL).  I initially wasn't sure if I missed the focus while panning, or if it was from having the shutter speed too slow.  But when I increased the shutter speed, my keeper rate went up.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Mainly old warbirds, so slower shutter speeds to get prop blur.

Thanks - and yes, it's not easy.  The improvement between three years ago and recently is pretty decent, so I'm making progress on the technique.  Need lots more practice.  

Link Posted: 5/22/2016 6:22:23 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Ultimately, you will find that this is a problem with your technique. Lots of practice using good technique is the cure.

That said, do some focus tests with the lens to see that there is not a problem there too. Can't say I recommend the "dot" method.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Mainly old warbirds, so slower shutter speeds to get prop blur.  I vary the shutter speed between 1/160s and 1/320s depending upon focal length.  Image stabilization is ON, lens is sharp wide open so I usually shoot in shutter priority and let the camera adjust aperture (usually between f/8 and f/14).  ISO is AUTO, set within 100 and 1600 (last show all of the images ended up being captured at 100).

Thanks!

My long lens technique is still a work in progress, but much better than it has been in the past.  And I'm fine with it being the weak point here - I can keep working on improvement.  Just seems that some images that should have been sharp are slightly fuzzy and it doesn't look like motion blur to me.  I don't relish the thought of trying to find the right focal length and the right distance to try and tune the zoom, only to find I get focus issues where I didn't have them before.

Weather permitting, I plan on setting up the tripod and doing some tests at different distances and focal lengths this week and see what happens.

Link Posted: 5/26/2016 1:12:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Well, I ended up shooting a series of images vs trying to do dot tune - my eyes don't do well trying to get critical focus on the small LCD.  Ended up with -3 looking sharpest at 400mm and just shy of infinity.  Cloudy dreary day, so if I get to the hotel early enough Friday, I'll run some test shots in better light to confirm.  Plus, some faster movers this show so I'll be able to ramp the shutter speed up and I can see how those look.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top