Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/21/2016 4:17:02 PM EDT
I returned from a two week trip to Yellowstone last Saturday.  Already posted these images in GD, but I know some people don't frequent GD, so I am reposting them here:

Link Posted: 5/21/2016 4:27:28 PM EDT
[#1]
My kit this time was a Canon 7D MKII, 1DMK IV, 500mm f4L IS Version 1 lens, 100-400 L IS Version 1 lens, 1.4 and 2X teleconverter, along with a Gitzo tripod and a Benro gimbal head.
In practice, I initially found myself wishing I'd found a good deal on a 600mm f4, but upon further reflection it probably wouldn't have helped as in most of the cases where I lacked reach, heat mirages would have made the images useless anyway.
The 100-400 didn't get used much, mostly because I used it while hiking and saw little while hiking.  The 500mm performed fairly well and was light and easy to hand-hold in circumstances where that was warranted.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 4:59:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Bear wolf stand off must have been cool to watch
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 5:15:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Was thinking the exact same thing. Looks like that one wolf got a baby Bison. At least it died to feed the wolves instead of being put down because some idiot put it in their car.

Great Pics.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 5:15:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

It was pretty awesome.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 5:39:21 PM EDT
[#5]
As I said in the other thread, great photos thanks for sharing those.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 5:54:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I missed the other thread. Great shots as always, thanks.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 10:57:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Wow. Simply wow.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 10:35:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Those are incredible, I bet the trip was even better.

I am hoping my trip to glacier later in the year results in 10% of what you have captured.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 10:37:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 10:39:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've said it before. I hope to visit there one day but if I don't ever get the chance it's OK because this guy goes there and posts these pictures.
View Quote

We need someone to hit Gates of the Arctic, I don't think I'll ever get up there
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 8:10:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

We need someone to hit Gates of the Arctic, I don't think I'll ever get up there
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've said it before. I hope to visit there one day but if I don't ever get the chance it's OK because this guy goes there and posts these pictures.

Man, I want to visit Alaska again.  It's just so damned expensive...
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 10:00:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Great shots!  Timely, because I was twitching at every bear/cubs pic I looked at since I just saw Revenant last night.  

Those cubs were TINY. And that black wolf looked freaking menacing .
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 10:11:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Nice shots.  That's a lot of bears.

Looks like a fun trip.  
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 10:40:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quick question that I forgot to ask earlier:

You say you do hiking.  Do you have a particular pack you use to put your gear and camera gear in?  I've been looking at packs made for photographers, but either they're way too expensive, impractical (no room for camping gear), or both.  I ended up getting a Osprey Kestrel (waiting for it in the mail) and will probably buy an insert for it.  Only thing I can't figure out is how to attach tripods.  Everything else seems easy by comparison.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 10:52:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quick question that I forgot to ask earlier:

You say you do hiking.  Do you have a particular pack you use to put your gear and camera gear in?  I've been looking at packs made for photographers, but either they're way too expensive, impractical (no room for camping gear), or both.  I ended up getting a Osprey Kestrel (waiting for it in the mail) and will probably buy an insert for it.  Only thing I can't figure out is how to attach tripods.  Everything else seems easy by comparison.
View Quote

I do day hikes. I've never gone backpacking with camera gear for just those reasons.  Whenever I go backpacking, I take a point and shoot or else just my cell phone.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 12:49:12 PM EDT
[#16]
What kind of distances were you taking pictures from?

Yellowstone is on the list of places we have to see.

Link Posted: 5/23/2016 1:26:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
What kind of distances were you taking pictures from?

View Quote

Depends on the picture.  Furthest was about 200 yards away.  Closest was a few yards away (the bighorn ewe).
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 6:03:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I win the lottery I'll buy a photography lesson trip from you...
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 6:38:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buy those tickets!  
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 9:49:26 PM EDT
[#20]
A few more shots I just finished processing.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top