Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2016 9:38:04 PM EDT
Hi guys
Let me start by saying I literally do not know anything about cameras...
I'm looking for a camera to take high quality photos of my kids 3.5 and 17 mo.... It needs to be something that can grow with the family....
Would this be a good start?
Canon EOS Rebel 70D Camera Bundle with 18-55 STM Lens, 55-250 STM Lens, Camera Bag, and 32GB SD Card for 1149

That camera is my current price rang what'd you think?

I appreciate you oppinions
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 9:45:33 PM EDT
[#1]
That one will server you fine and has many things you can do with it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 11:16:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hi guys
I'm looking for a camera to take high quality photos of my kids 3.5 and 17 mo.... It needs to be something that can grow with the family....
Canon EOS Rebel 70D Camera Bundle with 18-55 STM Lens, 55-250 STM Lens, Camera Bag, and 32GB SD Card for 1149

View Quote

It's a decent camera.

You may prefer a single lens solution, though.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1010022-REG/nikon_1519_d5300_dslr_camera_black.html

+

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/644744-USA/Nikon_2192_AF_S_DX_NIKKOR_18_200mm.html

or

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/644744-USA/Nikon_2192_AF_S_DX_NIKKOR_18_200mm.html
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 2:21:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hi guys

It's a decent camera.

You may prefer a single lens solution, though.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1010022-REG/nikon_1519_d5300_dslr_camera_black.html

+

or

I would vouch for that 18-200 all day long. My first set-up was a D80 and the 18-200. A couple years later I went to a D90 and picked up another 18-200 as I pretty much wore the first one out. No fault of the build quality, I just used the damn thing just about every single day for 3 years straight in the worst conditions Wyoming could throw at it. I finally retired them both a few years back when I went to full frame. I will never get rid of them for sentimentality sake. In my opinion it is the best all around lens in the entire DX line. Throw a 50mm 1.8 in the kit and you won't need anything else.

If you end up going with the nikon, pm me your address and I'll send you a free, unused camera bag to welcome you to the club.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 9:58:20 PM EDT
[#4]
There's nothing wrong with that camera or lenses, but for probably $800, you can get an outfit much more suitable for your needs.

Little kids.  Lots of your shots will be indoors with a wide lens (55mm or less).  The onboard flash will make any camera take crappy point and shoot looking pictures. You either want a fast prime lens (a 35 or 50mm at f/2 or less should run around $150'ish) which will allow you to skip the flash and/or a speedlight.  A speedlight is a flash that mounts on top that you can point around, allowing you to bounce the light and fill in ugly shadows.  Those aren't too expensive either.

That longer lens might not be something you use a lot, and if so, you should be able to pick one up for around $150.

Camera bodies depreciate terribly.  I would highly recommend picking up something used that is 1 or 2 generations old.  You might miss out on some of the small conveniences of the latest and greatest, but you can put that savings into gear which actually holds value--glass and a speedlight.  If you look back a year from now and realize you haven't used it more than a handful of times, you can sell the whole match for pretty much the same that you paid for it.  Pretty much any body built going back 10 years will deliver the images you want.

KEH is a great place for used lenses and bodies.  I haven't bought anything new in a long time.

Link Posted: 5/5/2016 10:00:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 10:06:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah the speedlight is DEFINITELY worth it.  I don't get mine out as much as I should.

The onboard flash is great for eliminating shadows outdoors and creating horrible shadows indoors.

Link Posted: 5/8/2016 9:58:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I love my 70D. I would recommend the 18-135 lens kit. It is a solid lens and takes great video as a bonus. Also can be found reasonable.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 6:07:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah the speedlight is DEFINITELY worth it.  I don't get mine out as much as I should.

The onboard flash is great for eliminating shadows outdoors and creating horrible shadows indoors.

View Quote

+1

I have a Yongnuo YN-568EX flash.

I have manual and TTL triggers for it.  It also works with Nikon's Commander mode.
It's an excellent flash.  Especially for $100.  I'm hard on gear and it's coping well.
If the batteries are fresh (Eneloop Pros) it will recharge fast enough to keep up with the cat and the dog.
Probably with kids too.
There are versions for Canon if you swing that way.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top