Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2016 4:35:20 PM EDT
I got the following message on my Canon S100 compact P&S camara screen, again.
"Lens Error
Will shut down automatically
Restart camera"

Canon repaired it the first time when it 1.5 years old, and out of warranty.

I called Canon service in Costa Mesa Calif, and they sent me a UPS label to ship it to them. The estimate Canon sent back was $170 to repair. They claimed I abused it and dropped it. I treated just like my Nikons, as a matter of fact they were often in the same camera bag together, but I sometimes carried it in my jeans pocket inside a padded camera case. My Nikon DSLRs are still function after >150,000 clicks on the shutter.

This is terrible, for a camera that I originally purchased for $400 5 years ago. There is probably no more than 10K clicks on the shutter(irrelevant, since it is electronic), and ~40-50 hours of video. If figure that I will just eat my losses and chalk it up for experience,no more Canons for me.
(btw I will be trying various fixes suggested on the internet, since it is now just a paper weight)
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 5:19:50 PM EDT
[#1]
My old Casio ex-f1 had some sort of lens issue. If it wasn't for that I'd probably still have it. I miss that camera.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 9:04:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My old Casio ex-f1 had some sort of lens issue. If it wasn't for that I'd probably still have it. I miss that camera.
View Quote

I think the mechanism to move the lens in&out, is too complicated and not well-engineer. The smart phones are killing the P&S camera market.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top